Blackouts

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Have you paid your bill?

Maybe since they promised 24/7 to everyone, all circuits are equal when they cannot afford to buy capacity from the generators.

So now we rich ones are equally suffering with the poor barrio's.

Sorry, just joking. Won't happen again,
Never learned to shut up :LOL:
I realise you're joking, but you touched a nerve. Just yesterday, I spent about an hour in the Edenorte office waiting to pay my bills. I always feel unpopular because I have seven bills to pay, but the guy in front of me had about fifty! Then I had to wait another half an hour to sign the papers to get credit on my bills that were a minus number because of the refund. And then they didn't give me cash - just the promise that it would come next month.

The only saving grace that I was waiting inside the air-conditioned office, not outside like the poor people in the line behind me.

Still no power in ProCab.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I realise you're joking, but you touched a nerve. Just yesterday, I spent about an hour in the Edenorte office waiting to pay my bills. I always feel unpopular because I have seven bills to pay, but the guy in front of me had about fifty! Then I had to wait another half an hour to sign the papers to get credit on my bills that were a minus number because of the refund. And then they didn't give me cash - just the promise that it would come next month.

The only saving grace that I was waiting inside the air-conditioned office, not outside like the poor people in the line behind me.

Still no power in ProCab.
I never goes to any office if I do not have to. Been there done that once. ;)

I goes insane if I must wait too long and the guy with shotgun shows me out. Yes, it has happened, in a bank.

Pay my bills online, usually https://ofv.edenorte.com.do/user/login, or with Banco Santa Cruz, pay services in their app.

You have my deepest sympathy:cry:

Reactions: drstock

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Three outages within 24 hours where I am as well with the latest at about 2:50 PM.
Ok windy, you were against the improvements that made it possible for the first time to deliver power 24/7 to everyone during the months of curfew. Remember? people who got increased hours with power complains about higher bills. Tough crowd

No, I will not post any more in this thread, as I said, boring

I was never against any improvements in the power. You are completely wrong about that. I was for improvements in the power from the day I arrived in the DR in 2002. Where did you get the impression that I was against it? It is a ludicrous statement on your part about my situation with Edenorte.

I was fighting for improvements to the power situation and even made trips to the Edenorte central office in Santiago where they tried to embezzle money out of our development for improvements they should have made on their own to provide reliable service. A couple of years ago they installed new power poles and took all of the wiring above ground. The buried wires were shorting out during almost every rain. For a while, the situation was quite good and drew little criticism from me and my neighbors.

My power bill went down when the DR version of 24/7 power was put in place where I live after about 15 years of 10 to 15 hours of power a day. Less is wasted in the battery/inverter charging and discharging. My batteries are essentially dead now being 6 years old and need to be replaced to provide any real period of back up. I am looking for some Trojan T-106 batteries at the moment.

At the moment, Edenorte obviously has a problem they are not quickly fixing. Sorry if that is boring to some people.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes outages are becoming more frequent and early morning and off and out till middle of the night. They have a lot of balls calling this 24/7 power - it never goes a week. One day maybe before an outage.
An incompetent utility !

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Gasoducto? Natural Gas. Some bells ringing? Let me look that up...

No, you go find your own posts
That change from coal to natural gas fiasco is just another screw up by Ede's and the DR government being in charge. Just another detail that makes my point.

I really don't care how they generate power. If you recall, I commented that I didn't care if they used gas as long it was not near me. At least I understand the point you were trying to make about me being against progress. As for the progress of that exact situation:

Did you hear that new generator is vibrating and the seals providing the gas to it are failing? The people involved are a corrupt incompetent joke.

Last edited:

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
That change from coal to natural gas fiasco is just another screw up by Edenorte and the DR government being in charge. Just another detail that makes my point.

I really don't care how they generate power. If you recall, I commented that I didn't care if they used gas as long it was not near me. At least I understand the point you were trying to make about me being against progress. As for the progress of that exact situation:

Did you hear that new generator is vibrating and the seals providing the gas to it are failing?
Yes of course. And that generator is the sole reason they now are able to deliver, power to everybody during the curfew last months,at really big savings. Just google it, published this month.

And you started that old thread with joking about their incompetence, but changed your standpoint after hearing the arguments, if I remember correct.

NOW, I am really done with this forum for today. Have a nice day and pray you do not run out of gasoline ;)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Out for the 2nd time today for me as well. Had to rise from my siesta as I was making the sheets wet. Dark clouds on the horizon, maybe a lightening strike somewhere. Doesn't usually go out twice in a day.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
At Catalina, didn't "they" drop and warp a turbine or something? Vibration monitoring and control should have been builtin to the system and I gather it was not.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
That change from coal to natural gas fiasco is just another screw up by Edenorte and the DR government being in charge. Just another detail that makes my point.

Did you hear that new generator is vibrating and the seals providing the gas to it are failing?
Yes of course. And that generator is the sole reason they now are able to deliver, power to everybody during the curfew last months,at really big savings. Just google it, published this month.

And you started that old thread with joking about their incompetence, but changed your standpoint after hearing the arguments, if I remember correct. You were only against the pipeline if it was near you in the end.

NOW, I am really done with this forum for today. Have a nice day and pray you do not run out of gasoline ;)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

And you started that old thread with joking about their incompetence, but changed your standpoint after hearing the arguments, if I remember correct.

And I was completely correct about their incompetence. Unfortunately.

The rates I pay for power never changed with that screwed up power plant coming on line. I have no idea what you mean about cheaper power from EDE's.

There is no change to my bills in how power is charged. It will now cost me more in gasoline because of their incompetence.

I was never against progress, just the incompetence and corruption which continue unabated. If I "changed my arguments" , then I made a mistake and return back to my original points. I admit when I am wrong.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Three outages within 24 hours where I am as well with the latest at about 2:50 PM.

I was never against any improvements in the power. You are completely wrong about that. I was for improvements in the power from the day I arrived in the DR in 2002. Where did you get the impression that I was against it? It is a ludicrous statement on your part about my situation with Edenorte.

Windy, just wanting a history lesson. What was it like in 2002 with the electricity? Thanks!

Rob

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy, just wanting a history lesson. What was it like in 2002 with the electricity? Thanks!

Rob
We got power about 10 hours a day on a Class D circuit in Cabarete. Most of the locals and some of the gringos were stealing power, which made the circuit a low priority D level circuit. So that is why we were getting 10 hours.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And incredibly expensive power plant for one that is now vibrating apart, Punta Catalina is:

Anybody want to move next door and see the potential fireworks happen?
At Catalina, didn't "they" drop and warp a turbine or something? Vibration monitoring and control should have been builtin to the system and I gather it was not.
Here is a link to the news story about what is horribly wrong at Punta Catalina. Aside from the Odebrecht corruption that is:

The Committee says that this tender is “inexcusable” since the facility that ended up costing more than three and a half times the bid made by a Chinese firm should have come with this quality control system from the start.

The environmental group also noted that they have suggested to the presidential candidates in the upcoming elections to not sign off on receiving the Punta Catalina facility until a technical audit has been carried out by an experienced independent international company to certify that the plant is working properly and is fully compliant with the specifications contained in the original contract.

The Committee also noted that a huge rotor, the moving component of an electromagnetic system for generating electricity, fell from the hoist that was lifting it into place in June of 2017 during the attempt to stage a trial in October of that year. The rotor fell to the pavement, and the trial did not take place until a year later, in October 2018. As so happens, the rotor assigned for Unit 2 of the facility was placed in Unit 1, and the repaired rotor from Unit 1 was installed in Unit 2.

On Friday, 17 April 2020, Unit 2 was cut off and the country experienced a massive blackout, and the President’s speech was delayed for more than half an hour. Back in late March 2019, Unit 1 also cut out abruptly and suffered serious damage, remaining out of service for several weeks.

Why are these vibrations so important? The report from sources inside the plant reported that the vibrations are affecting the pipes and the walls of the boilers, the hydrogen seals and auxiliary equipment (pumps and so forth), as well as the ventilators for the system. The CDEEE recently announced the replacement of the hydrogen seals.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Still waiting for the power to be restored in my neighborhood. Out for ~5 hours so far in two stints today. Here's hoping that this afternoon is them fixing whatever caused the unscheduled outage yesterday and this morning.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
And incredibly expensive power plant for one that is now vibrating apart, Punta Catalina is:

Anybody want to move next door and see the potential fireworks happen?

Here is a link to the news story about what is horribly wrong at Punta Catalina. Aside from the Odebrecht corruption that is:

The Committee says that this tender is “inexcusable” since the facility that ended up costing more than three and a half times the bid made by a Chinese firm should have come with this quality control system from the start.

The environmental group also noted that they have suggested to the presidential candidates in the upcoming elections to not sign off on receiving the Punta Catalina facility until a technical audit has been carried out by an experienced independent international company to certify that the plant is working properly and is fully compliant with the specifications contained in the original contract.

The Committee also noted that a huge rotor, the moving component of an electromagnetic system for generating electricity, fell from the hoist that was lifting it into place in June of 2017 during the attempt to stage a trial in October of that year. The rotor fell to the pavement, and the trial did not take place until a year later, in October 2018. As so happens, the rotor assigned for Unit 2 of the facility was placed in Unit 1, and the repaired rotor from Unit 1 was installed in Unit 2.

On Friday, 17 April 2020, Unit 2 was cut off and the country experienced a massive blackout, and the President’s speech was delayed for more than half an hour. Back in late March 2019, Unit 1 also cut out abruptly and suffered serious damage, remaining out of service for several weeks.

Why are these vibrations so important? The report from sources inside the plant reported that the vibrations are affecting the pipes and the walls of the boilers, the hydrogen seals and auxiliary equipment (pumps and so forth), as well as the ventilators for the system. The CDEEE recently announced the replacement of the hydrogen seals.

I did reliability work for a living. Vibration is a killer.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I did reliability work for a living. Vibration is a killer.
I worked at a company called Shaker Research. They had experts in vibration analysis and lubricity. They worked frequently with the Electrical Power Research Corporation. The type of experts needed at the damaged Punta Catalina plant..

I am still waiting for power to return as well in Cabarete.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Nobody denies that corruption is a killer in this country, and the process building the plant really shows why this country has huge problems. Corruption.

I have not looked much into who is responsible for maintenance and building/supervision, I believe it is outsourced to foreign companys because DR lacked the expertise.

That is not my point here, without this power plant, where could EDENORTE buy its power from to satisfy the increased demand/needs?

The reduced price when generating power benefits EDENORTE to reduce their deficit, and continue to sell power at subsidied prices to the general public. Yes they sell you energy for less what it costs them to buy, cheaper power than NYC which is probably irrelevant here. When all customers pay for what they consume, you can ask for reduced prices. Maybe.

So far they are still losing huge amounts of money due to lack of payment

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Is Edenorte out? I've posted about this for over 20 years. Don't care what you want to call it or why. It's out and no matter what you call it or what you do... it's still out. Just like old home of 20 years ago; maybe back.

Love my solar and back up systems.

Is Edenorte out?