Blue Mall - Open!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
maybe maybe not

I will repeat for the most part the skills are available here to do really good finishing work. Certainly, certain some newer and materials and construction methods aren't utilized here but for the materials in question there are certainly qualified labor.

The important factor as to why imported management was more than likely needed on the project is just matter of scale. After all it would be difficult for the locals to gather the experience required here in the DR to do such a large project. Another more specific example would be for example the laying of tile: there are certainly qualified people here but when you are talking about doing large expanses of floor the local methods of leveling a floor probably won't cut it; ie you're going to have to work with a surveyor in order to get everything level or at the design grade if so specified.

single pours, vs multi pours, vibrators vs ??? etc etc etc

As far as roadwork, there are qualified engineers here, just look at the cable span built in San Pedo de Macoris. Unfortunately, there are a lot of engineering and contracting companies imo that aren't really qualified too.

don't know if the skills are here but the will is not!

If you live or traveled Duarte Av. while they were building IKEA and adding on to the America next door. That is all it takes to see the difference in construction methodology. One had what I would call regular forms for concrete pouring, with steel supports, the other had plywood supported by posts. same when they put up Blue Mall. There is a world of difference.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that Blue Mall sure will have its needed clientel in Santo Domingo,
thanks for the Fotos Pichardo, looks stunning.
for the one planned in Punta Cana I doubt that it will be successful the next 5 years at least,
here we have by far not the needed number of clientel willing to spend money at the high end shops,
Punta Cana simply does not have that amount of Cash Cows.
Santo Domingo without any doubt has it, it will run nice there.
Mike

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Is there a wine store in there? With wine and Krispy Kreme, it will be one-stop shopping for me. Heck, I might even move in there.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
don't know if the skills are here but the will is not!

If you live or traveled Duarte Av. while they were building IKEA and adding on to the America next door. That is all it takes to see the difference in construction methodology. One had what I would call regular forms for concrete pouring, with steel supports, the other had plywood supported by posts. same when they put up Blue Mall. There is a world of difference.

One had some imported labor and the other 100% local.

I agree, the contrast in techniques was very apparent.
Also the IKEA site was very clean, organized everyone had hardhats etc.

Had a Dominican architect friend spend 5 years in Barcelona and Berlin working on construction projects. She was horrified when she came back, spent half her time re-educating people on site.

The upside for the DR, these new modern structures have a trickle down effect and the knowledge is passed down. When you add in the knowledge with Dominican ingenuity, you have a potent mix! They might not be savy on the all latest techniques, but Dominicans can be VERY creative and adaptable.

Krisspy Cream Bob, it's 2 mins walk to Blue Mall from the office, I'll go have a sniff around and see whats open and what's about to open.

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Step away from those Krispy Kremes!.... nom nom nom

Mike - perhaps they should open a Krispy Kreme here in Punta Cana - look how well the Wendy's is doing in Punta Cana village - Everytime i visit (husband is addicted) there is always a crowd munching away on their Baconaters.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I find it impossible now to sit in the back seat of a concho when the driver says 4 people
How will this work when Krispy Kremes catch on.....I'm 200 pounds and some of these women make me look small.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
I was at Blue Mall this morning.

My 2 cents is it's cold, pretentious and dismal.

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Time will tell

I dont have facts but I just find it hard to believe there is enough demand to fill all these commercial real estate space being thrown up, much less sustain it. Still, time will tell. Nevermind DR, just SDQ is 2 million or so people, how many of those have the disposable income to go shopping every week in the stored that Blue mall is planning on having open. I mean that is what it takes. The kids at Carol Morgan can't sustain all these malls, especially when so often, they shop abroad..... Hindsight will e 20/20 but if I could short these malls I would, or at least hedge against it, especially with the guvment loading up on debt, if lean times hit the DR these will be ghost malls, or empty shells. 3 + high end malls in SDQ and then other stores in other parts of the country. I mean some of the current higher end malls aren't even at 100% capacity....

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I was at Blue Mall this morning.

My 2 cents is it's cold, pretentious and dismal.

You have to give it time to get itself together. As Robert says, it's only 30% occupied and that means 7 out of 10 stores aren't open as yet. When a larger % of the stores open, more people means less coldness, less pretentious, and a lot less dismal. I would love to have a store right next to Krispy Kreme.......

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I dont have facts but I just find it hard to believe there is enough demand to fill all these commercial real estate space being thrown up, much less sustain it. Still, time will tell. Nevermind DR, just SDQ is 2 million or so people, how many of those have the disposable income to go shopping every week in the stored that Blue mall is planning on having open. I mean that is what it takes. The kids at Carol Morgan can't sustain all these malls, especially when so often, they shop abroad..... Hindsight will e 20/20 but if I could short these malls I would, or at least hedge against it, especially with the guvment loading up on debt, if lean times hit the DR these will be ghost malls, or empty shells. 3 + high end malls in SDQ and then other stores in other parts of the country. I mean some of the current higher end malls aren't even at 100% capacity....

We already have dead malls. Diamond Mall and the Malecon Center.

I honestly don't know how they will survive. I'm guessing the will just evolve and change as time goes on. I'm always surprised :)

Look at the gran daddy of them all, Plaza Central, it's still busy, despite a ton of new shopping plaza that have opened up around it over the years.

Blue Mall offered some real nice incentives to rent space and it looks pretty much 100% occupied. Will they survive, no idea. But once it 100% up and running, it will be a great mall.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
My favorite Mall is the Bella Vista Mall. It has a nice size and very laid back. I was at the Blue Mall today. I think it is more than 30% occupied. To me it looked almost fully occupied. But a lot of the tenants where still preparing. I was there with a Danish friend and we where surprised to see Danish clothes brand Helly Hansen. I think above the mall and the Food court they are going to build offices. It seems to me that Blue Mall will be a success. But I dont know about all the others that are being build.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think it is more than 30% occupied. To me it looked almost fully occupied.

That's what I said :)

About 30% of the stores are open right now and the rest in various stages of completion. It looks like all the space has been sold or has a store.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Stupid question...

Can anyone here take a stab at explaining what the fascination with Malls in the DR (keeping it DR related) is?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Can anyone here take a stab at explaining what the fascination with Malls in the DR (keeping it DR related) is?

The Dominicans seem to like Malls. I personally dont understand why nobody seems to invest in el Conde. I think that should be the place with the High End shops. Or at least some investment should go there.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Funny that you should mention that. I lived on Calle El Conde when cars were allowed to drive on it and Parque Independencia was a place where kids could spend the whole day playing without worry(didn't see any kids last time I visited)...and Guibia used to be a beach.