Blue Mall Puerto Plata

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Hard Rock used to play music videos on a big screen. I remember watching Drum & Fife by the Smashing Pumpkins when it was first released. Excellent video about PTSD. They usually played good rock videos somewhat loudly which was good for entertainment but not as much for conversation.

We used to go to Chilis too, I would imagine that’s gone. I never even bother to go to Blue Mall anymore, I prefer Agora. I went to Acropolis once and thought it had an apocalyptic vibe because nearly everything was closed.

Reactions: MariaRubia

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The one and only comedy club in the DR is at Acropolis.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Hard Rock used to play music videos on a big screen. I remember watching Drum & Fife by the Smashing Pumpkins when it was first released. Excellent video about PTSD. They usually played good rock videos somewhat loudly which was good for entertainment but not as much for conversation.

We used to go to Chilis too, I would imagine that’s gone. I never even bother to go to Blue Mall anymore, I prefer Agora. I went to Acropolis once and thought it had an apocalyptic vibe because nearly everything was closed.

Hard Rock is still there in Blue Mall. And I'm pretty sure Chilis is now in Bella Vista in Sarasota opposite Bella Vista Mall. I think that place is called Chilis.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
What does having too many children have to do with this Chico ?

Chico makes a good point. The earth’s resources are finite and diminishing at an accelerated rate because of overpopulation. Two of the most critical are potable water and water for agriculture.

Climate change and changed climate have impacted these two resources significantly, whether you choose to believe it or not. It doesn’t matter if it’s due to natural or man made causes. That tired argument is moot. Major aquifers in many countries are drying up from overuse by increasing populations
and climate change. Massive migration from drought affected countries has been the norm for decades now. You would have to be living on another planet not to know this.

Countries like China and India have seen the largest growth in population and their populations are still growing. Overall the earth’s population is increasing exponentially worldwide since the 1800’s.

You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to see the impacts of uncontrolled population growth. Poverty, destitution, mass starvation, civil wars, mass migration. You don’t have to go far in the DR to see the effects of mass migration. You see it every day on the streets. Haitians and Venezuelans here by the millions because of overpopulation and civil wars.

The viability of a high end mall in Playa Dorada is questionable. Playa Dorada will soon be glutted with unsold condos. Not surprising because of the pandemic and now hyper inflation is another factor. Most of the new condos in building one and two at Jack Tar were bought by wealthy Dominicans. Same for the Azul condos at the upper end. Green One condo sales didn’t take off as expected and a new mall stuck in the middle of that property will not increase condo sales long term. It might backfire and drive away potential customers looking for a condo in a quiet secure area.

A high end mall in a gated tourist area aimed at wealthy tourists is a feeble attempt to change the complexion of Playa Dorada. Why would tourists staying at cheap AI’s in the Playa Dorada-Puerto Plata area and working class Dominican tourists and locals frequent a mall with inflated prices? They can go five minutes up the road to the supermercados and shops in Puerto Plata.

The backbone of DR tourism is good quality AI’s available at low prices. Replace these resorts with condos and the DR will lose it competitive edge.

There’s lots of available retail rental space in the Playa Dorada mall and money could be pumped into it to make it more high end.

Prior to the pandemic, Playa Dorada was always packed with AI tourists from November to May. That’s slowly returning. Building massive condo towers there to increase the tourist population is akin to trying to fit a quart of shite into a pint bottle. The beach can only accommodate a limited amount of people. Something has got to give.

Reactions: Auryn

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Acropolis is another one that had a food court full of food options that disappeared after the first year contracts ran out.

Does anybody remember the Chinese restaurant with the neat food delivery setup?

I used to go to the movies there because I was always the only person in the theater. Same for Malecon Center and Blue Mall VIP seating. LOL

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The Chinese place was before my time. I remember TGI Fridays? Applebees? An American chain we didn’t have in Canada with prices that seemed high for whatever chain it was compared to Chilis.

The whole mall was creepy and claustrophobic. The thought of watching a movie in a theater alone gives me an eerie, Dawn of the Dead feeling.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Don't tell me Fridays is gone. They were doing so well they went to two floors instead of one. Applebees is in Silver Sun Gallery and Downtown Mall as well.
You may want to try Factory Steak and Lobster in the Intercontinental some time which is very close by.
As far as being alone in a theater: I go to the movies a lot, and I can tell you that no one destroys a movie theater experience better than Dominicans with kids. (Although I assume it's the same in any theater anywhere else as well.)
Sitting alone is a blessing.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Don't tell me Fridays is gone. They were doing so well they went to two floors instead of one. Applebees is in Silver Sun Gallery and Downtown Mall as well.
You may want to try Factory Steak and Lobster in the Intercontinental some time which is very close by.
As far as being alone in a theater: I go to the movies a lot, and I can tell you that no one destroys a movie theater experience better than Dominicans with kids. (Although I assume it's the same in any theater anywhere else as well.)
Sitting alone is a blessing.
It could still be there, I don’t venture west of Agora anymore so I wouldn’t know.

Teenagers are the worst in movie theaters because they go in groups and no one keeps them in check but the rest of the audience.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
It could still be there, I don’t venture west of Agora anymore so I wouldn’t know.

Teenagers are the worst in movie theaters because they go in groups and no one keeps them in check but the rest of the audience.
Ever since Downtown opened I haven't gone anywhere else either. They have the leather seat VIPs which are almost always empty, and an Applebees, SBG Kitchen, P.F. Changs and a couple of other good restaurants, plus Wendy's, KFC, Good Bowl, Pizzarelli, and a couple of others.
It's not very busy either. Saturday matinees ring my bell.

Reactions: AlaPlaya and Auryn

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Two pages of dross so far, with the usual suspects pissing on the parade. Doesn't anyone have anything positive to say about this fabulous project being embarked upon on the North Coast?

It's fair to say that our current President is putting his money where his mouth is. Development is coming to the North Coast. Fernandez, Danilo et al have made their fortunes in the East. Time for POP to get its renaissance. It's a far more beautiful end of the island.

Tourists will come to the mall. Even though they can buy the exact same products in their home countries, tourists in vacation mode spend money. Ex-pats will use it as an escape from the crappy products and customer service found in typical Dominican shops and Dommies will use it as a treat.

Hopefully it will have a cinema. We really could do with a modern one to replace the ageing / badly run one in Playa Dorada. And a trendy food court would be nice. Although not essential as POP eateries have expanded and improved significantly with choices ranging from McDonalds to fine dining.

Reactions: HDR

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
So this shopping center will be in direct competition with the shops that might be left in the Playa Dorada plaza? Is the plaza still open?

HDR

Nov 21, 2012

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Two pages of dross so far, with the usual suspects pissing on the parade. Doesn't anyone have anything positive to say about this fabulous project being embarked upon on the North Coast?

It's fair to say that our current President is putting his money where his mouth is. Development is coming to the North Coast. Fernandez, Danilo et al have made their fortunes in the East. Time for POP to get its renaissance. It's a far more beautiful end of the island.

Tourists will come to the mall. Even though they can buy the exact same products in their home countries, tourists in vacation mode spend money. Ex-pats will use it as an escape from the crappy products and customer service found in typical Dominican shops and Dommies will use it as a treat.

Hopefully it will have a cinema. We really could do with a modern one to replace the ageing / badly run one in Playa Dorada. And a trendy food court would be nice. Although not essential as POP eateries have expanded and improved significantly with choices ranging from McDonalds to fine dining.

Agree 100 %, mostly clueless people who sits in bars and regard 100 meter from said bar as a vacation. DR1 was good for info 15 years ago. North Coast is changing and yes Playa Dorada is booming The old cheapish Gran Paradise will now be this. No more cheap there... https://murciagrouprd.com/inmueble/proyecto-xanadu-residences-puerto-plata-playa-dorada/ And yes I was there a couple of weeks ago, friend has an apartment there, and remodeling is in full force.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I don't see it as much being tourists as I do resident expats. True there will be some snowbirds staying in those condos and houses who purchased for investment purposes. And some will be shorter term AIRBNB rentals.

When tourism was booming in Cabarete before Punta Cana took over and POP flights dropped radically, I had gigs several times a week except in April and September which were DEAD. Now, I have gigs in April and going onward into May. Why? Because there are more resident expats than ever and many projects like the renovation of that old AI resort into condos and a dozen new residential projects are under way from Islabon to Puerto Plata. Development is already here. I have no idea if it will tail off now that the pandemic is endemic (although not admitted to by the medical czar in my home country). All that pent up demand to get out might tale off. Cruise tourists will also be a source of those looking to retire and seeing the DR as an option, so that is another potential source of growth here on the north coast. I only hope they can be supplied with enough water and electricity as time goes on.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
Cool, new mall! What's next, potable water, stable electric grid, or additional cruise ports?

Reactions: Gadfly