Boca Chica Area - Day Trips by Car?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
rellosk said:
  • Make sure you are fully insured (collision, liability, tires, windshield, etc)
Most major credit cards provide CDW protection free of charge if entire rental is paid for using a major credit card. Has anyone ever had a problem using the free coverage. One requirement is that you decline the car rental companies CDW.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bigbird said:
[/LIST]Most major credit cards provide CDW protection free of charge if entire rental is paid for using a major credit card. Has anyone ever had a problem using the free coverage. One requirement is that you decline the car rental companies CDW.
Call you credit card company before you leave. Specifically ask if you are covered for non-accident events (broken windshield due to road debris, tire damage, damage to the underbelly due to road hazards, etc). There was a posting by a user that thought they had full coverage, but found out they did not.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
rellosk said:
Call you credit card company before you leave. Specifically ask if you are covered for non-accident events (broken windshield due to road debris, tire damage, damage to the underbelly due to road hazards, etc). There was a posting by a user that thought they had full coverage, but found out they did not.

Will do. What I have found out is the CDW coverage is provided by Visa or MasterCard directly. The coverage is not provided by the issuing cc bank so the coverage is standard for all Visa holders. If you have a legal background you may be able to make sense out of this link.

http://www.usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/bft_dmg_waiver_personal.html?it=il|/personal/cards/benefits/index.html|Auto%20Rental%20Collision%20Damage%20Waiver

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
According to my AMEX card car rental insurance, they do not cover liability.
They only cover the car for damage or theft, and watch out for a $5K deductible on the car rental agency's insurance! Way too many variables for me.

(Bigbird, the link is broken)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Tamborista said:
According to my AMEX card car rental insurance, they do not cover liability.
They only cover the car for damage or theft,

That is the same understanding I have from reading the Visa website info.

Tamborista said:
, and watch out for a $5K deductible on the car rental agency's insurance! Way too many variables for me.

The agency's insurance scares me also. I want to stay away from their policy. Their policy can easily add another 50% to the rental cost.

Tamborista said:
(Bigbird, the link is broken)

Try Visa.com and search thru the menus for CDW Protection.

Today I will call my US auto insurance company to see what protection they provide on car rentals. I will post information later.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I do not worry about insurance.
I worry about my Esprite having anough fizz to mix my roadies when I travel in La Republica!
My driver knows to stock the car with the small bottles to maximize fizz on the go.

I prefer to have a stress free trip, and wind up paying about the same for a driver who cares about my safety and has insurance.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
read this thread

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51457

i dunno...i dont think i would want to wind up in jail if some crazy driver hits me...etc. I am totaly adventurous...but i wouldt want to waste a day or two in jail till the authorities figure things out.

Im with tambo on this one. Hire someone to take you around. it will probably be less than a rental...and they will know where the cool and interesting spots are.

OR...but a good guidebook (like rough guide)...and figure out where you can get to en guagua.