Boca chica

go2dbeach

Mar 3, 2012
Corfu island
The beach of Boca Chica has a half moon shape and is protected by a reef along its entire length. That makes the beach looking like the biggest bathtub in the world because it has calm, warm water and is shallow, even if you walk 50 meters in, the water reaches your knees. In the center is located the main beach where all the bars and shops are gathered, where all the fun happens. And there is the eastermost part, which does not have a beach, but there are three beach clubs in a row, Pelicano, Neptuno's and Boca Marina. Here, the absence of a beach is compensated by three platforms with perfect music and decoration and points for direct diving into the incredible, transparent, turquoise, irresistible, waters of the Caribbean.
Our hotel was right across the street from Boca Marina so every morning I couldn't resist going for breakfast and dominican coffee and we always had a pina colada, or coco loco if I ever got out of the water! I found Neptuno's to be the most expensive, with the most beautiful decoration but generally had a formality that didn't suit me.
Boca Marina was ok, with a cool atmosphere and fine for food. I found boca marina and Pelicano more to my taste, the first for the evening and the second for the morning because it was the most relaxed of all, the waiters move in caribbean rhythm and time, the music was Dominican and it is the only one that fits to the place.
Boca Marina is the last in the line and had more waves when it was windy, especially on its eastern side. The Neptuno's and Pelicano's were nearby and they form a closed bay with calm water , so even when it was windy it was perfect.

We spent our mornings here, rather than on the main beach. Although it is a beautiful beach, alive with color and music, sometimes it gets annoying with the vendors and people who don't understand "thanks but NO".

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The beach of Boca Chica has a half moon shape and is protected by a reef along its entire length. That makes the beach looking like the biggest bathtub in the world because it has calm, warm water and is shallow, even if you walk 50 meters in, the water reaches your knees. In the center is located the main beach where all the bars and shops are gathered, where all the fun happens. And there is the eastermost part, which does not have a beach, but there are three beach clubs in a row, Pelicano, Neptuno's and Boca Marina. Here, the absence of a beach is compensated by three platforms with perfect music and decoration and points for direct diving into the incredible, transparent, turquoise, irresistible, waters of the Caribbean.
Our hotel was right across the street from Boca Marina so every morning I couldn't resist going for breakfast and dominican coffee and we always had a pina colada, or coco loco if I ever got out of the water! I found Neptuno's to be the most expensive, with the most beautiful decoration but generally had a formality that didn't suit me.
Boca Marina was ok, with a cool atmosphere and fine for food. I found boca marina and Pelicano more to my taste, the first for the evening and the second for the morning because it was the most relaxed of all, the waiters move in caribbean rhythm and time, the music was Dominican and it is the only one that fits to the place.
Boca Marina is the last in the line and had more waves when it was windy, especially on its eastern side. The Neptuno's and Pelicano's were nearby and they form a closed bay with calm water , so even when it was windy it was perfect.

We spent our mornings here, rather than on the main beach. Although it is a beautiful beach, alive with color and music, sometimes it gets annoying with the vendors and people who don't understand "thanks but NO".
I was at Neptuno about 10 days ago. Probably the biggest rip-off known to man. We went there for sentimental reasons and had to overlook the prices which I knew in advance.Priced higher than any A restaurant in NYC..

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Boca chica is run down when they finish bulldozering Sosua Boca chic should be next in line both places need to start over again

Reactions: aarhus

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Boca chica is run down when they finish bulldozering Sosua Boca chic should be next in line both places need to start over again
Rundown is an understatement. I still can't get my head wrapped around how could the authorities oet BC fall to such level considering this is one of the official tourists zones?

BC needs the goverment to intervene as soon as possible. At least the main tourist strip close to the beach (maybe turn into a pedestrian street?) and the main road access to the autopista where the Burger King is located needs an intervention similar to what was done to some streets in the Colonial Zone or in the old center of Puerto Plata. The rest of the town can be how it is, because after it's all said and done, the DR isn't a rich country. But at least the tourist strip should look decent from end to end. In a tourist area it's better to have tourists comment of the contrast between a nice looking touristy Boca Chica near the beach and the rest of town than have everything seem rundown.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I would never recommend BC to anyone I like.
It's a complete hole full of the absolute worst
this country has to offer.
NOTE: The DR is not nearly as poor as these
poorly educated people have been tricked
into believing it is. It's just been extremely
mismanaged by a few crooks with a proper education.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I would never recommend BC to anyone I like.
It's a complete hole full of the absolute worst
this country has to offer.
NOTE: The DR is not nearly as poor as these
poorly educated people have been tricked
into believing it is. It's just been extremely
mismanaged by a few crooks with a proper education.
And less morals/ethics/integrity than a low level gang member.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Apart from the beautiful waters at Boca Chica, the only other good thing is the Pequena Suiza restaurant. That restaurant is fantastic. Too bad they don't have one on the north coast. Their cheese fondue is even better than the Swiss restaurant Parada el Choco in Sosua, which is excellent. Nice thing is that there are no minimum amount of people required for fondue at Pequena Suiza which is quite rare...they are also much cheaper than Parada el Choco, but I have never had a problem paying 1200 pesos at the Parada (750 pesos in Pequena Suiza) as the cost of good imported cheese is crazy expensive. Both Sosua and Boca Chica have huge potential if and when they ever clean up these two towns. Yes, they have started the beach in Sosua and only time will tell if it works or not, but as long as they leave Pedro Clisante as it is, it will remain a sxxt hole!

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Apart from the beautiful waters at Boca Chica, the only other good thing is the Pequena Suiza restaurant. That restaurant is fantastic. Too bad they don't have one on the north coast. Their cheese fondue is even better than the Swiss restaurant Parada el Choco in Sosua, which is excellent. Nice thing is that there are no minimum amount of people required for fondue at Pequena Suiza which is quite rare...they are also much cheaper than Parada el Choco, but I have never had a problem paying 1200 pesos at the Parada (750 pesos in Pequena Suiza) as the cost of good imported cheese is crazy expensive. Both Sosua and Boca Chica have huge potential if and when they ever clean up these two towns. Yes, they have started the beach in Sosua and only time will tell if it works or not, but as long as they leave Pedro Clisante as it is, it will remain a sxxt hole!
I remember Pequeña Suiza from 2005 I think it was. It was really a good restaurant. Breakfast and dinner. Amazing if they still have managed to maintain a reasonable level considering the location.

Reactions: FGUnsworth1 and tee

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I remember Pequeña Suiza from 2005 I think it was. It was really a good restaurant. Breakfast and dinner. Amazing if they still have managed to maintain a reasonable level considering the location.
I first went there in 2004 and have been back several times and in my opinion, they have not changed at all. Still great food, great service and great prices.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I go back even further. I used to go weekly back in the eighties. I had the record of plates for the all you can eat meat fondue for years.

Even more impressive is the owner Estefan used to drive there every day from Santo Domingo.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I go back even further. I used to go weekly back in the eighties. I had the record of plates for the all you can eat meat fondue for years.

Even more impressive is the owner Estefan used to drive there every day from Santo Domingo.
It’s a long time then they have been in business and kept a high quality in a low quality place. Impressive. There is something about those Swiss.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019

I agree completely! Those three places are rather expensive. However, the crab Risotto at Boca Mariana is among my favorites. The price is ridiculous so its a once a year thing. It was nearly 4500 pesos.

Years ago, there used to be a website for Boca Chica. It stated Boca Chica was the "largest natural swimming pool in the world"

Mambroki probably has the best pizza I've had on the island.