Border Fence

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
be honest, this picture the wall is a joke. too small and haiti people can go over I believe

12_El-Pais_05_6p01.jpg

Reactions: bachata

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think the chain link fence part of the wall is missing? :sneaky:

Are the military patrolling the wall allowed to use live ammo for those that do jump what looks to be about 10 feet once the fence is up?:cool:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Are the military patrolling the wall allowed to use live ammo for those that do jump what looks to be about 10 feet once the fence is up?:cool:
Right, chain link is not installed yet. There will also be the circular razor wire coil along the top.

Clearly, it will not stop anyone who is determined to cross (i.e. the U.S. /Mexican border fence).

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

If the answer to your question is "Yes"...why would anyone at any border kill someone for jumping over a fence?
If the answer to your question is "No" then why are they carrying an M1 rifle?
If the answer to your question cannot be obtained here on DR1 what steps will you take to get a qualified answer?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If the answer to your question is "Yes"...why would anyone at any border kill someone for jumping over a fence?
If the answer to your question cannot be obtained here on DR1 what steps will you take to get a qualified answer?

How about if a jumper is armed and shoots at a guard?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
it's not an M1 and it has become fashionable both here and the U.S for police and military to carry rifles and carbines in public for theatre. Can you imagine if a soldier or PD ripped off a few rounds in an airport terminal or on a crowded street. He aint shooting anyone

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I am guessing the wall is Symbolic... if you go over, you know you have broken the law and will be arrested or possibly Shot . Its very sad that walls like this have to exist , but ALL NATIONS do have the Right to protect their Sovereignty ..

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The purpose of the wall is to force people to cross in the designated official border crossings and be subject to migratory controls, not to keep all Haitians out forever. The total height of this wall will be higher than most fences surrounding the homes of many people throughout the DR.

Supposedly, the border already has a greater than usual amount of soldiers guarding at different points and the use of certain technologies such as drones to make it more efficient.

With this said, some Haitians need to be kept out. For example, technically anyone with HIV/AIDS isn't qualified to enter the DR under any circumstances.

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
it's not an M1 and it has become fashionable both here and the U.S for police and military to carry rifles and carbines in public for theatre. Can you imagine if a soldier or PD ripped off a few rounds in an airport terminal or on a crowded street. He aint shooting anyone
LOL I said M1 bc it is the only wepon I know of or have shot. MP USArmy

Reactions: Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That depends. I am not the one giving orders.
See answer above.
None. Just wondered.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am guessing the wall is Symbolic... if you go over, you know you have broken the law and will be arrested or possibly Shot . Its very sad that walls like this have to exist , but ALL NATIONS do have the Right to protect their Sovereignty ..
Agreed.

Reactions: windeguy

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
From my limited exposure to Hatitianos here in the DR, crossing the border and living in the DR is fairly straight forward. I don't see the same situations as one sees at the U.S./Mexican border. It seems the men come, work in construction, live in a batey amongst themselves. Women come and become street vendors. This in in the southern tier. Is it different in the north coast?

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
From my limited exposure to Hatitianos here in the DR, crossing the border and living in the DR is fairly straight forward. I don't see the same situations as one sees at the U.S./Mexican border. It seems the men come, work in construction, live in a batey amongst themselves. Women come and become street vendors. This in in the southern tier. Is it different in the north coast?
Here in Jarabacoa the majority of the Haitian women work in agriculture, mainly the giant greenhouses they have here. There are lots of street vendors, mainly young guys that don't want to or can't work in construction. There are a few Haitian prostitutes but very few, at least in the areas I go through. There are definitely some well to do Haitians as well.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I was told this morning the price for my helper's novia door-to door( Haiti to JD )is 14,000, That's all I know right now.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I was told this morning the price for my helper's novia door-to door( Haiti to JD )is 14,000, That's all I know right now.
Getting across the border is easy. There's at least one place where you can just drive a moto across the shallow river. The difficulty is travelling along the DR roads and missing the chackpoints and patrols. Some people know the back roads where there are no checkpoints near the border and charge to take people along these routes. Once you get further along the routes there are hardly any checkpoints on the main roads.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Last time I checked Haitians were paying around RD$1,200 to cross the border.
With the current inflation I've no doubt they are paying more now. So long as
you have Dominicans at the post unfiltered illegal immigration will continue.

zeferus

Feb 22, 2022
Canada

In french, though.
If you don’t know French this video basically says poor Haitian it is all the Dominican fault. DR has the economy that is dynamic and growing and not the poorest in this hemisphere. It unfortunately does not show the reverse impact to the Dominican Republic. Watching documentaries like leaves the viewer thinking DR is a first world country that is not doing its part. I am sure you can read in between the lines what I think is missing from such pieces.

Reactions: Big