Border Fence

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
they don't speak French! Not even passable French, they speak Haitian creole. That is one of their main barriers. As someone who speaks a useless language "Afrikaans" as well, I can tell you their language is a huge obstacle.
When you present to us your credentials showing your accredited expertise, I'll continue to disagree with your stance in favour of the information I have gathered from dozens of Haitian I know living in the DR.

You're welcome to your unfounded opinion, as is anyone else who wants to argue without any substance to back them up. Why that's allowed here I don't understand and I'm no longer interested in butting heads with those in "power" here. ;)

Big

Apr 24, 2019
This statement is flat out wrong.
And if you chose to disagree with me then quote a source.

My research shows:
10% are bilingual in French and Haitian creole.
90% only speak Haitian creole.

I will agree with you that "language is a huge obstacle" but that applies to anyone who is in a situation where they need to communicate and cannot.

Here is mine:

Only Spanish, DOP and USD will help with border crossing.
not to get into a back and forth, you know as much about the Haitian culture as you do open pit mining. What part of Haiti have you visited? lol, none, clearly.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
When you present to us your credentials showing your accredited expertise, I'll continue to disagree with your stance in favour of the information I have gathered from dozens of Haitian I know living in the DR.

You're welcome to your unfounded opinion, as is anyone else who wants to argue without any substance to back them up. Why that's allowed here I don't understand and I'm no longer interested in butting heads with those in "power" here. ;)
well, there is two people that believe Haitians speak fluent. Good luck. lol

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
not to get into a back and forth,
Which you already have. But let's proceed.
you know as much about the Haitian culture as you do open pit mining.
You are not the first person on DR1 to think I do not know of what I speak.
You will not be the last.
I have direct experience with Haitians in the Dominican Republic.
I have no experience at all with open pit mining other than what I have read.
What part of Haiti have you visited? lol, none, clearly.
I have never visited Haiti.
I have never been hit with 00 buck either.
But I can tell you that shotgun bullets are bad for my health.

To help you with your math...10% is greater than 0%. I learned that in elementary school.

Now, when you would like to support your statements with something I am listening.
Until then you are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Using the disgusting and unprovoked russian invasion of Ukraine as an example, many countries have stepped up to take refugees, by the millions.

It often happens, and I applaud those that do. The fact is that the World is a better place when people are freer to emigrate, especially if they are political refugees and/or fleeing conflict.
You have made my point ‼️
Individuals up in here talking about illegal immigration.
When at this point an armed conflict is taking place in Haiti.

In an armed conflict, a wall can be breached. So, if we are talking about national security then well trained, well armed military handles that.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
On the language thing, it’s rare for Haitians to be fluent in French, but many know some. All official docs are in French, so they can read them.

The elite know French, but I don’t know any elite, just normal people.
Much of education is also taught in French, or so I've read.

I don't think anyone is claiming that everyone in Haiti is 100% fluent in Parisian French, but I've heard many conversations, hours at a time, day after day after day sitting on the beach at some of my favourite bars/restaurants between Hatians and people from Quebec and other French-speaking locales.

Perhaps it's more to do with those that have managed to get to and stay in the DR having better than average education, and the resources and wherewithal to make it to the DR, thus the highest percentage of Haitian in the DR, that I have encountered, that speak French.

• Love

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
On the language thing, it’s rare for Haitians to be fluent in French, but many know some. All official docs are in French, so they can read them.

The elite know French, but I don’t know any elite, just normal people.
I'm FAR from "fluent" in Spanish, but I can read and comprehend a lot of it, understand a lot more, and have no issues making myself clear. It's not pretty, but it's effective enough that I don't stress about actively learning more....even though I should and know that I'd benefit.

The last time I talked on the phone in Spanish with my EX, she could not believe how much my Spanish had improved, and I did not even notice or make an effort. Time and practice and an interest in the language and culture go a long way.

I've had many conversations with my Haitian friends about education in Haiti, especially after the crippling earthquake of 2010, and they tell me that there are many "schools" of an informal nature taking place, and the focus is French, English, Spanish to a degree, since Language skills need no special equipment and will take the most people the farthest and the fastest.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Much of education is also taught in French, or so I've read.

I don't think anyone is claiming that everyone in Haiti is 100% fluent in Parisian French, but I've heard many conversations, hours at a time, day after day after day sitting on the beach at some of my favourite bars/restaurants between Hatians and people from Quebec and other French-speaking locales.

Perhaps it's more to do with those that have managed to get to and stay in the DR having better than average education, and the resources and wherewithal to make it to the DR, thus the highest percentage of Haitian in the DR, that I have encountered, that speak French.

"Even though a majority of people speak Creole as their first language in Haiti, most schools teach in French"

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Great article. But note we're drifting from the topic of the thread. Not my forum though.

zeferus

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Most Haitians in DR that went to university or college speaks French. Any other does not and definitely struggles understanding it. This is confirmed first hand talking to passerby and workers in the capital region as well as the north part. Sample size of roughly 50 thus far.

Most “blue color” Haitian worker will converse in broken Spanish rather than trying French with me in the DR.

French (Canadian) is my mother tongue and I have lots of practice smoothing out my accent with the Haitians in Canada.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Does anyone knows the current state of the murals. Yes, the murals were only done on the side of the wall facing Haiti, but that border wall was built by the Haitian government (the same thqt created the murals).

Frontera1.jpg

Frontera2.jpg

Frontera3.jpg

Frontera4.jpg

The printscreens are from a trip Consuelo did to the border precisely to see the border wall built by Haiti. Of course, there was hardly anything posted about this in the international media. This was in 2014, 8 years ago. Back then it was new.

Many that are now criticizing the Dominican government initiative of building a border fence in areas where the Haitian border wall doesn't extend knew about Haiti building the border wall back then and remained silent. NGO's? Individuals? Priests? You could hear a mouse fart since they were so silent. Hmm, wonder why... It can't be hypocrisy, can't it?

16:54

Are the murals still there or have they been erased by the rain and/or faded by the sun with no maintenance?

On another note, which is taller? The one built by the Haitian government or the one currently being built by the Dominican government?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
So, the claim is being made that Haitian government built a wall at the border in 2014.
The more interesting question is why didn't the government of Dominican Republic complete their wall back then ❓
What has changed exactly to make a million dollars a mile wall needed now❓