Border Wall Project

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Walls are racist !
People migrating and escaping Global Warming or seeking asylum is their right.
They should be welcomed in and given government financial support and free housing.
Heck with all the AI resorts in DR this should be an easy task.
And they should be given cedulas and allowed to vote. We must accommodate everyone.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Walls are racist !
They should be welcomed in and given government financial support and free housing.
And they should be given cedulas and allowed to vote. We must accommodate everyone.
🤣 Chico, I know your post is a sarcastic one but history has proven the futility of walls. The Roman Emperor Hadrian’s wall and the Great Wall of China worked initially but eventually failed to keep out invading nations. The Berlin Wall, one of the most secure, failed to stop people escaping to West Berlin, and black market entrepreneurs quickly figured out ways to keep their trade moving between East and West Berlin. Palestinians quickly tunnelled under and scaled over the Israeli Wall. Even Trump admitted his billion dollar border wall wouldn’t stop illegal migration. They scaled over it and cut sections out of it. The so called wall being constructed along the DR-Haiti border won’t keep out Haitians intent on fleeing to the DR.

Walls are political feel good initiatives. They create the illusion of security and politicians can say they did something. The reasons to build them don’t matter. They’re doomed to fail over time. You can’t fight human nature with concrete and steel.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
🤣 Chico, I know your post is a sarcastic one but history has proven the futility of walls. The Roman Emperor Hadrian’s wall and the Great Wall of China worked initially but eventually failed to keep out invading nations. The Berlin Wall, one of the most secure, failed to stop people escaping to West Berlin, and black market entrepreneurs quickly figured out ways to keep their trade moving between East and West Berlin. Palestinians quickly tunnelled under and scaled over the Israeli Wall. Even Trump admitted his billion dollar border wall wouldn’t stop illegal migration. They scaled over it and cut sections out of it. The so called wall being constructed along the DR-Haiti border won’t keep out Haitians intent on fleeing to the DR.

Walls are political feel good initiatives. They create the illusion of security and politicians can say they did something. The reasons to build them don’t matter. They’re doomed to fail over time. You can’t fight human nature with concrete and steel.
So you have a wall around your villa? If so for what reason?
They may be good if they only slow the intruder's exit enough for your dog to tear a bit of leg as he jumps or for you to get a. 357 in his ass for good measure.
Saying walls don't work is absurd and an insult to walls built worldwide. They are build for reasons that has been well established.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So you have a wall around your villa? If so for what reason?
They may be good if they only slow the intruder's exit enough for your dog to tear a bit of leg as he jumps or for you to get a. 357 in his ass for good measure.
Saying walls don't work is absurd and an insult to walls built worldwide. They are build for reasons that has been well established.
9mm is the maximum size for a handgun a civilian can legally own in the DR.

Walls alone may provide a "false sense of security", but hopefully it is better than nothing.

Keep in mind it is not supposed to be just a wall, but with people and electronics to help minimize border breaches.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Walls are racist !
I see what you did there. Touche'

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
9mm is the maximum size for a handgun a civilian can legally own in the DR.

Walls alone may provide a "false sense of security", but hopefully it is better than nothing.

Keep in mind it is not supposed to be just a wall, but with people and electronics to help minimize border breaches.
We’re talking apples and oranges here. The practicality of a wall versus carrying a handgun to prevent entrance into a home. The gated aspect of a community is a selling feature designed to create the impression of security and sell homes. Anyone who has spent time in the DR knows they don’t work and security equipment isn't fail safe. The recent rash of insider break ins in gated subdivisions during daylight hours is proof of that. The fact is anyone who wants to get in will get in. Your habits will be monitored and they will pick their moment. Wall or no wall, guns or no guns. Most places I rented in the DR were apartments and I don’t have anything of value in them so walls and security weren’t a concern. My friend’s houses in the countryside didn’t have walls and I was never concerned about break ins when I stayed with them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We’re talking apples and oranges here. The practicality of a wall versus carrying a handgun to prevent entrance into a home. The gated aspect of a community is a selling feature designed to create the impression of security and sell homes. Anyone who has spent time in the DR knows they don’t work and security equipment isn't fail safe. The recent rash of insider break ins in gated subdivisions during daylight hours is proof of that. The fact is anyone who wants to get in will get in. Your habits will be monitored and they will pick their moment. Wall or no wall, guns or no guns. Most places I rented in the DR were apartments and I don’t have anything of value in them so walls and security weren’t a concern. My friend’s houses in the countryside didn’t have walls and I was never concerned about break ins when I stayed with them.
I would add the concept of low hanging fruit to the mix.

A wall might make it a bit harder so the intruder robs a wall-less neighbor instead.

I have no issues with the DR doing whatever it can to contain the situation in Haiti.

Reactions: chico bill

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I would add the concept of low hanging fruit to the mix.

A wall might make it a bit harder so the intruder robs a wall-less neighbor instead.

I have no issues with the DR doing whatever it can to contain the situation in Haiti.
Monitoring and policing of the wall will be the thing that ensures it’s effectiveness Windy and we know lack of maintenance and corrupt border guards will eventually reduce its effectiveness. If the Kenyans do intervene, lots of Haitians including gang members will be looking for escape routes. The bigger the border, the more the opportunity to breach it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Monitoring and policing of the wall will be the thing that ensures it’s effectiveness Windy and we know lack of maintenance and corrupt border guards will eventually reduce its effectiveness. If the Kenyans do intervene, lots of Haitians including gang members will be looking for escape routes. The bigger the border, the more the opportunity to breach it.
I am not expecting any intervention in Haiti. I expect the court in Kenya to rule against it. If they are sane, they will.

The DR will, of course, be reactive if the situation degrades to gang members fleeing into the DR.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I am not expecting any intervention in Haiti. I expect the court in Kenya to rule against it. If they are sane, they will.

The DR will, of course, be reactive if the situation degrades to gang members fleeing into the DR.
My gut feeling is, if the Kenyans aren’t in Haiti by the end of January, they aren’t coming. They may hold out for more money as an excuse not to intervene. A way to bow out without looking cowardly.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Walls are racist !
The kicker is that then the people that talk of the "futility of walls" go to sleep in homes with walls, barbed wire and gates surrounding their property. 🫣

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The kicker is that then the people that talk of the "futility of walls" go to sleep in homes with walls, barbed wire and gates surrounding their property. 🫣

Except that nobody is climbing over my wall inorder to pitch their tent in my garden, next to the doghouses, and then work for half the price of regular workers ........... furthermore I don't accept bribes.

If the border wall was built in order to stop Haitians crossing the border, stealing a flat TV, then having to climb back over the wall to Haiti, balancing the TV on their heads, well the wall would be very efficient.

But no, all they have to do is climb over the wall w/o being seen, and then scatter into the DR society.
And even if they are seen, 50/50 chance they can bribe their way out of it.
And it doesn't stop there---- even if they are seen and can't bribe their way through, they are sent back to Haiti......and can try the adventure again and again and again.

So yeah a border wall is only a mere nuisance when it comes to desperate people trying to cross.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Even a house has walls and a locked door.
But to say "walls don't work" - is only fronted by people who like to argue with common sense.
Walls worked good at Troy until the Greeks tricked them into opening the gate with a wooden horse.
Ask any rancher out repairing his fence what works to corral his herds.
Coming out of northern California I saw hundreds of miles of walls built out of river cobbles or lava rocks constructed by Chinese workers in the 19th century to clear land and provide property boundaries and livestock barracades.
Walls are history and if they did not work they would never have been millions of miles constructed around the world.

I applaud DR for trying to help control immigration to the legal kind by employing a wall. .

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is no need to go all the way back to Troy. lol Just go back to 1586 when Francis Drake invaded Santo Domingo. He didn't destroy any part of the walls surrounding the town, he simple entered through the gates and essentially flooded the place as his men storm through Conde Gate and Misericordia Gate. Funny enough, a third of the dity was destroyed on his orders, but the walls were untouched. Guess how he and his men evacuated city? Through the same gates they went in. That was the first and only invasion of Santo Domingo.

The point is that the walls and gates work in protecting the city as long there was a good defense. It was the only thing that prevent Jean Jacques Dessalines from invading Santo Domingo and destroying the whole town in 1805.

Now, no other towns had walls protecting them. Places like Santiago, La Vega, San Francisco de Macorís, etc were all destroyed in different invasions on multiple times including Dessalines who destroyed all of them (but not Santo Domingo, the only one with a wall and, in fact, large parts of the wall still stands.) Had all the major towns in colonial times had walls, it would had been a different story and probably the DR would have more than one Colonial Zone which would had been great for tourism.

In fact, I criticize when Dominicans turn against the French at the time and not waited for Napoleon to build Port Napoleon. The plans were aready made and it was going to be a very beautiful place following French styles.

Last edited:

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
There is no need to go all the way back to Troy. lol Just go back to 1586 when Francis Drake invaded Santo Domingo. He didn't destroy any part of the walls surrounding the town, he simple entered through the gates and essentially flooded the place as his men storm through Conde Gate and Misericordia Gate. Funny enough, a third of the dity was destroyed on his orders, but the walls were untouched. Guess how he and his men evacuated city? Through the same gates they went in. That was the first and only invasion of Santo Domingo.

The point is that the walls and gates work in protecting the city as long there was a good defense. It was the only thing that prevent Jean Jacques Dessalines from invading Santo Domingo and destroying the whole town in 1805.

Now, no other towns had walls protecting them. Places like Santiago, La Vega, San Francisco de Macorís, etc were all destroyed in different invasions on multiple times including Dessalines who destroyed all of them (but not Santo Domingo, the only one with a wall and, in fact, large parts of the wall still stands.) Had all the major towns in colonial times had walls, it would had been a different story and probably the DR would have more than one Colonial Zone which would had been great for tourism.

In fact, I criticize when Dominicans turn against the French at the time and not waited for Napoleon to build Port Napoleon. The plans were aready made and it was going to be a very beautiful place following French styles.
thanks for the history lesson very informative

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Puerto Plata and San Juan Puerto Rico and St Thomas, USVI and St Augustine are samples of cities protected by walls.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

Yes ... Napoleon should have constructed port Napoleon...then the modern government could have sold that also...........