Boston baked beans

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
If you can't get B&M,molasses "might" make Campbell's or Bush edible, just If you can find cans of brown bread you're all set

Good suggestion. I'll look for the molasses too. And ignore my "dislike" comment. that was intended to be a "like" but I can't figure out how to undo it.

May 5, 2007
I agree with your comment about B&M beans. That's what I'd really like to find but I didn't know if others knew what B&M was. Burnham and Morrill makes those baked beans in my hometown of Portland, Maine, and in my admittedly biased opinion they are the best. But Bush's are probably second best. I've never had Campbell's baked beans but I would expect them to be pretty bad.

I worked in Cumberland County for a few years, best friend is from Portland

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree with your comment about B&M beans. That's what I'd really like to find but I didn't know if others knew what B&M was. Burnham and Morrill makes those baked beans in my hometown of Portland, Maine, and in my admittedly biased opinion they are the best. But Bush's are probably second best. I've never had Campbell's baked beans but I would expect them to be pretty bad.

yes...they are pretty bad...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Bush and B&M are baked beans.

Campbells are pork and beans.

Difference Between Baked Beans and Pork and Beans

Standing in the canned goods aisle of your local grocery store, you're likely to see the terms "baked beans" and "pork and beans" used interchangeably to refer to a bean stew with a sweet tomato-based sauce -- those are baked beans, by the way. If you're looking through recipes for your next summer gathering, make sure you know the difference between the two dishes. Otherwise, you may not get what you expected when you open the lid of the bean pot.

click to read remainder of article.....

https://www.ehow.com/info_10004404_difference-between-baked-beans-pork-beans.html

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
In Playero next to the canned soups, top shelf. Bush's Baked Beans, Campbell's and one other if I remember correctly.

Nope, I just returned from Playero and there are no Bush's baked beans there at this time. On the top shelf next to the soups there was Campbell's Pork & Beans, Van Camp's Beanee Weenees, and Showboat Pork & Beans. That's it. But now that I know that they are sold in the soup section, I'll check Super Pola tomorrow to see what they have.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Nope, I just returned from Playero and there are no Bush's baked beans there at this time. On the top shelf next to the soups there was Campbell's Pork & Beans, Van Camp's Beanee Weenees, and Showboat Pork & Beans. That's it. But now that I know that they are sold in the soup section, I'll check Super Pola tomorrow to see what they have.

what you experienced is a third world thing. this week you can find a product in the supermarket, next week you cannot. i dare you to find me a pie crust anywhere between Sosua and Cabarete.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Good suggestion. I'll look for the molasses too. And ignore my "dislike" comment. that was intended to be a "like" but I can't figure out how to undo it.

You're not going to find the brown bread in a can, but it is very easy to make.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hmmm, might be worth trying. Will I find the raw navy or pinto beans at Playero?

Quite honestly you won't notice the difference. Use what ever beans you can find. Unless you are baking it is usually very easy to substitute ingredients in any recipe you are following.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
I continued my quest for canned baked beans at Super Pola this morning but it was a waste of time. They had no canned beans whatsoever. Furthermore I was struck by their pitiful selection of soups and stews and ready-to-eat canned food compared to Playero. The selection is so small that I had to walk the aisles 3 times before I finally found their tiny selection of soups at the end of Aisle 6 on the top shelf. This exercise has given me greater appreciation for the much wider product selection at Playero - at least for the gringo shopper.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
oh, murica, you never cease to surprise me.
i shall look it up on amazon and get a can to try.

But you also need to to find the baked beans because you can't eat one without the other. I've heard that bad things can happen to you if you try.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Playero specializes in trying to stock the ‘gringo’ items....
Not always successfully but they do try

Horseradish has vanished from the country