Boston baked beans

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I agree with your comment about B&M beans. That's what I'd really like to find but I didn't know if others knew what B&M was. Burnham and Morrill makes those baked beans in my hometown of Portland, Maine, and in my admittedly biased opinion they are the best. But Bush's are probably second best. I've never had Campbell's baked beans but I would expect them to be pretty bad.

Checked with B&M to inquire if they export to the DR. They do not, per Alex, Corporate Consumer Affairs, B&G Foods, Inc. This is not to say there is an independent distributor that may do it. However, the conclusion is from the all posts B&M products are not on the store shelves in the DR. What a loss !

Fortunately, PJT ships his care boxes of household needs by ocean late summer, early fall. There is always a supply of B&M enclosed for the days when a USA booster shot is needed. Unfortunately, cannot do same for Farnham's fried clams.

Always good feelings when traveling to LL Bean and crossing over the Back Cove in Portland to see the factory making the best baked beans on the market.

Regards,

PJT

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
They had no canned [baked] beans whatsoever.

They had lots at Playero the last time I saw them, but that was then. This seems to be a regularly stocked item so with luck more should arrive.

Grocery shopping at Playero can be hit & miss day to day. The adage that everyone seems to be following is this: If you see something you want, buy all of it.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Playero regularly stock the Heinz vegetarian beans. They're not quite up to UK Heinz taste as they are a little sweeter, but they're not bad and taste delicious on a slice of toast with a fried egg.

US style baked beans are far too sweet for my liking.

May 5, 2007
Checked with B&M to inquire if they export to the DR. They do not, per Alex, Corporate Consumer Affairs, B&G Foods, Inc. This is not to say there is an independent distributor that may do it. However, the conclusion is from the all posts B&M products are not on the store shelves in the DR. What a loss !

Fortunately, PJT ships his care boxes of household needs by ocean late summer, early fall. There is always a supply of B&M enclosed for the days when a USA booster shot is needed. Unfortunately, cannot do same for Farnham's fried clams.

Always good feelings when traveling to LL Bean and crossing over the Back Cove in Portland to see the factory making the best baked beans on the market.

Regards,

PJT

You must be from or have lived in Portland Maine area Very few people outside of Portland properly say "Back Cove" as opposed to Back Bay (Bahston) I was corrected on that regional term until I learned

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
what you experienced is a third world thing. this week you can find a product in the supermarket, next week you cannot. i dare you to find me a pie crust anywhere between Sosua and Cabarete.

Time for a trip to Jumbo Luperon.

They had regular and graham cracker pie crusts last Sunday. Don't look for Bushes beans because I bought them all. ( can you say 'pecan pie?')

I got the last bottle of Horseradish too.

I'm still waiting for them to restock Coconut syrup. I grabbed everything they had left about 3 months ago and so far... nada.

Same for Almond dark chocolate milk. It took them two months to restock that.

Breakstone Cottage cheese is another. Anybody know if Pricesmart still has it?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why would anyone buy pie crust when it's so easy to make is beyond me. but for the lazy ones, el nacional in santiago has it.

with all this yapping about the baked beans i now included the dish in NYE menu, will try making them from scratch. pecan pie too, why not. or maybe shoofly pie, i had my eye on this recipe for a while.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Time for a trip to Jumbo Luperon.

They had regular and graham cracker pie crusts last Sunday. Don't look for Bushes beans because I bought them all. ( can you say 'pecan pie?')

I got the last bottle of Horseradish too.

I'm still waiting for them to restock Coconut syrup. I grabbed everything they had left about 3 months ago and so far... nada.

Same for Almond dark chocolate milk. It took them two months to restock that.

Breakstone Cottage cheese is another. Anybody know if Pricesmart still has it?

Playero stocks Breakstone cottage cheese about 40 percent of the time. I've been buying it there for years. I bought some there a few days ago but I don't know if they still have any. After they run out, there will be period of a few weeks when there will be none until they get another load in. Unfortunately cottage cheese is not something that you can stock up on because of the expiration dates.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
why would anyone buy pie crust when it's so easy to make is beyond me. but for the lazy ones, el nacional in santiago has it.

with all this yapping about the baked beans i now included the dish in NYE menu, will try making them from scratch. pecan pie too, why not. or maybe shoofly pie, i had my eye on this recipe for a while.

Pecan pie is super easy. I frequently make pecan squares that use pie crust as well, but on a flat pan. I make pie crust for both. I buy graham cracker pie shells though. They're nice and uniform and hold together better.

Try making fudge. Making fudge is a challenge. Gotta get into the whole science of boiling, cooling and beating the sugar mixture so it doesn't come out like toffee.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Playero stocks Breakstone cottage cheese about 40 percent of the time. I've been buying it there for years. I bought some there a few days ago but I don't know if they still have any. After they run out, there will be period of a few weeks when there will be none until they get another load in. Unfortunately cottage cheese is not something that you can stock up on because of the expiration dates.

Exactly. I can get it to last a week or two past the expiration date without a problem, probably because my fridge is very cold. (great for milk!)

But Pricemart here in SD is a lot closer for me than Playero.. lol

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
playero has B+M baked beans. if i remember right they were onion and bacon. 2 wks. ago, not cheap, and campbel 11 oz. cans for 41 pesos. I bought 4 cans.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jumbo in PP has bush's vegetarian baked beans. small cans, 100 pesos each.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i am lazy....i know i can make a better crust than i can buy, but sometines i just prefer the store bought stuff.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Pecan pie is super easy. I frequently make pecan squares that use pie crust as well, but on a flat pan. I make pie crust for both. I buy graham cracker pie shells though. They're nice and uniform and hold together better.

Try making fudge. Making fudge is a challenge. Gotta get into the whole science of boiling, cooling and beating the sugar mixture so it doesn't come out like toffee.

the trick to fudge is 234 degrees. i just got my clip on thermometer, which you set to the temperature you want, and wait for the device to alarm. i also got a few bottles of marshmallow creme. i was good at this when i was young. i am going to see if i can get my mojo back.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have a candy thermometer too. neat toy. my marshmallow fluff is to die for. dominicans call it "suspiro" but it bears no resemblance to the suspiro on bizcochos sold here.

today i bought several cans of beans to make baked beans for NYE. got a whole bunch of people to feed.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i have a candy thermometer too. neat toy. my marshmallow fluff is to die for. dominicans call it "suspiro" but it bears no resemblance to the suspiro on bizcochos sold here.

today i bought several cans of beans to make baked beans for NYE. got a whole bunch of people to feed.

you make your own marshmallow creme?