Bourbon

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Last month I was given a bottle of 21 year old El Dorado rum from Guyana. It gives the high end Dominican rum serious competition for the money. It was excellent if you like mid to dark rum.
Can you source it here in 🇩🇴❓

During my suspension (3 months) I picked up Flor de Caña 7. An excellent rum from Nicaragua. No sugar added. It has pushed Leyenda off my shelf. It is strictly a guest rum now.

I do not mind talking about rum here. There has not been many intelligent posts on any subject by the by the starter of the rum thread here‼️Lots of personal attacks from him through.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
That ain't Bourbon. That is Scotch right. Single Malt. I picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 12 so see what all the hype was about with Single Malts. Got it on my shelf right now. I was not impressed. I prefer smoke flavor profile in my Scotch. Some people consider that aggressive. I like aggressive. I'd like to try an Ardbeg 10. I've read it has an the type of flavor profile I like. Aggressive. You wanna talk Scotch. I am not a expert. But I do know what I like. I have no problem listening to your opinions even if you not expert. As for Bourbon (the topic of this thread) I prefer overproof with a spicy flavor.

More knowledge is always a good thing. Advice is sometimes worth no more than what you pay for it.
why not try lighting a cedar plank and place the glass upside down over it to give yourself the smokiness you desire

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
why not try lighting a cedar plank and place the glass upside down over it to give yourself the smokiness you desire
Why not ❓ Because I am paying for a finished product‼️

You are welcome to treat your Scotch however you would like after you buy it in order to induce the flavor profile that you seek. But I would not recommend using the smoke from a soft wood (such as cedar...look it up). Soft wood smoke is harmful when used for cooking a smoking. It can impart a bad taste to food and induce allergic reactions in some people. So, I am very surprised that you would make you above suggestion to anyone. Soft woods are great for firewood. But I would not suggest or recommend that they be used in a cooking process.

You can place your newly purchased bottle on your grill. Add some wood chips (hard wood only) and produce the smoky flavor YOU desire. That is how I do it when I want to add a smoke flavor for my meats. But, I buy them raw and prepare for myself.

Cedar is good for storing cigars and keeping control of odors in closets.

Asked and answered. :ROFLMAO:

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
That ain't Bourbon. That is Scotch right. Single Malt. I picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 12 so see what all the hype was about with Single Malts. Got it on my shelf right tick with Islay malts if you want smoke flavournow. I was not impressed. I prefer smoke flavor profile in my Scotch. Some people consider that aggressive. I like aggressive. I'd like to try an Ardbeg 10. I've read it has an the type of flavor profile I like. Aggressive. You wanna talk Scotch. I am not a expert. But I do know what I like. I have no problem listening to your opinions even if you not expert. As for Bourbon (the topic of this thread) I prefer overproof with a spicy flavor.

More knowledge is always a good thing. Advice is sometimes worth no more than what you pay for it.
Stick to Islay Single Malts if you wish for smoked flaavour

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

You are welcome to treat your Scotch however you would like after you buy it in order to induce the flavor profile that you seek. But I would not recommend using the smoke from a soft wood (such as cedar...look it up). Soft wood smoke is harmful when used for cooking a smoking. It can impart a bad taste to food and induce allergic reactions in some people. So, I am very surprised that you would make you above suggestion to anyone. Soft woods are great for firewood. But I would not suggest or recommend that they be used in a cooking process.

You can place your newly purchased bottle on your grill. Add some wood chips (hard wood only) and produce the smoky flavor YOU desire. That is how I do it when I want to add a smoke flavor for my meats. But, I buy them raw and prepare for myself.

Asked and answered. :ROFLMAO:
cedar chests are lined with cedar... were I am from the cedar is to keep out the insects that eat your sweaters, and we use a lot of sweaters the wool kind......

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm no expert, but I don't think I've ever seen a cedar humidor. Quite a few Mahogany ones though. Cedar would make sense to keep the bugs away but I've always thought bugs add a pleasurable flavor to a cigar but the scotch tape over the bug hole makes it burn unevenly. :LOL:

• Wow
Reactions: Caonabo

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
++++

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I'm no expert, but I don't think I've ever seen a cedar humidor. Quite a few Mahogany ones though. Cedar would make sense to keep the bugs away but I've always thought bugs add a pleasurable flavor to a cigar but the scotch tape over the bug hole makes it burn unevenly. :LOL:
In "The Ultimate Cigar Book" - Richard Carleton Hacker says "In addition to a 70-70 mix of temperature and humidity, cigars will age best in a cedar box. But remember to remove the cellophane from each cigar as well as the interior tissue from the cedar box, or all your efforts will be for naught."

Richard Carleton Hacker is one one the world's foremost authorities on the subjects of cigars and cigar smoking.

Reactions: JD Jones

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Thank you, I have received that suggestion before.
I know it’s not Bourbon 😔. If you don’t like the refined taste of

I know that isn’t Bourbon 😟. If you don’t like the Highland malts maybe you want to consider a Islay whiskey, lots of natural flavour. Try Laphroaig or Bowmore or Lagavulin.
And when I asked where he sourced Islay single malts in 🇩🇴 he replied:
Sorry Yourmaninvegas. Once you left the DR availability or not is not in your mind anymore. In fact I never saw any Islay on the island.
So, now I ask: Where do you source Islay single malts in 🇩🇴❓

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
In "The Ultimate Cigar Book" - Richard Carleton Hacker says "In addition to a 70-70 mix of temperature and humidity, cigars will age best in a cedar box. But remember to remove the cellophane from each cigar as well as the interior tissue from the cedar box, or all your efforts will be for naught."

Richard Carleton Hacker is one one the world's foremost authorities on the subjects of cigars and cigar smoking.
And there you go. Do you know how many cigar manufacturers use cedar for their cigar boxes?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
And there you go. Do you know how many cigar manufacturers use cedar for their cigar boxes?
I do not. But here is some more information for you on the subject brother:

"Fuente walks with pride through the 50,000-square-foot factory, one of the newest additions to his ever-growing cigar empire in Santiago, Dominican Republic. He strides through a wooden canyon of empty cigar boxes that fill the new plant, which opened in May. The factory can create 40,000 boxes a week at full capacity, or 2 million a year. They'll be put to good use, housing the 40 million handmade cigars produced every year by Tabacalera A. Fuente y Cia."

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Being in that business for a while...this may sound strange but I like Johnny walker black...the one I like the very best is Irish and called Mildeton very rare...everyone I let try it agreed...the very best of all, and of course its hard to find and big$$$..........

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Being in that business for a while...this may sound strange but I like Johnny walker black...the one I like the very best is Irish and called Mildeton very rare...everyone I let try it agreed...the very best of all, and of course its hard to find and big$$$..........
I also like Johnny Walker Black. Not a business for me (yet). I just like the taste of distilled spirits of all types. Both neat and in the mix. Bourbon is just my all time favorite‼️

Johnny Walker Black has that smoke flavor that I like at price point I prefer over smoky single malts in 🇩🇴 . And it can be sourced here. I also like Johnny Walker Double Black. But I think it is really more of a marketing trick. I picked up a bottle but I am going to stick with Johnny Walker Black and Green in the future.

Fulano2 was incorrect when he said there was no Islay Single Malts in 🇩🇴. I know exactly where to source them. But choose not to pay the 6000 - 12000 DOP asking prices.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I also like Johnny Walker Black. Not a business for me (yet). I just like the taste of distilled spirits of all types. Both neat and in the mix. Bourbon is just my all time favorite‼️

Johnny Walker Black has that smoke flavor that I like at price point I prefer over smoky single malts in 🇩🇴 . And it can be sourced here. I also like Johnny Walker Double Black. But I think it is really more of a marketing trick. I picked up a bottle but I am going to stick with Johnny Walker Black and Green in the future.

Fulano2 was incorrect when he said there was no Islay Single Malts in 🇩🇴. I know exactly where to source them. But choose not to pay the 6000 - 12000 DOP asking prices.

Are you posting from China?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
cedar chests are lined with cedar... were I am from the cedar is to keep out the insects that eat your sweaters, and we use a lot of sweaters the wool kind......
"One final note about cigar storage. Sometimes a tabletop humidor isn't enough...All you need is a closet or extra bedroom that can be commandeered. Line it with Spanish cedar (standard American "closet cedar" is much too aromatic)..."

"The Ultimate Cigar Book 4th Edition" - Richard Carleton Hacker

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
For some reason, you remind me of.............

1610605844065.png

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Evidently, some enjoy dragging others down to their lair. There are a few here who go on tangents, with plenty of ad hominems thrown about to boot. The moderator/admin apparently have little to say.
Yes, I see that. Just check out the above post. ⬆️
Coming back to your theme, Bourbon: is it whiskey made out of corn (or rye), as against barley for scotch? I am not much of a whiskey person, though I always have a bottle of Aberlour at home, ever since I came across it. Other wise, Grappa or Absinthe is my thing and so this thread is interesting reading, learning wise.
Thank you my friend. A few (like you) choose to participate and add substance to the discussion. Others amuse themselves by trolling‼️
:ROFLMAO:

It was recognized in 1964 by the the United States Congress as a "distinctive product of the United States". Bourbon sold in the United States must be produced in the U.S. from at least 51% corn and stored in a new container of charred oak. A bourbon mash bill must be based on 51% corn.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I am not a Glenfiddich fan myself but that’s the only malt I have seen in the DR. That’s why I mentioned. I am an Islay man myself.
This is a inaccurate statement.

There are any number of Single Malt Scotch Whiskies available here in 🇩🇴 . I am not a big fan of Scotch. I have many different bottles of Scotch (mostly blended) that I do not like the taste. But I have finally figured out how to use those that I have on my shelf (besides dumping them off on guests I don't like. I mix it. I have found that the overall nasty flavor profile that most Scotch has in general works quite will in a Whisky Sour. So, strangely enough Scotch has become my goto base when I am mixing it up.

That way I can drink ALL my Bourbon neat. I prefer Bourbon.

I picked up GlenGrant The Major's Reserve. Excellent‼️Both in taste and value.

Glen Grant Majors Reserve700 ml960$16.49Licormart