Bourbon

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I think Bob was just asking because we Dominicans tend to use limes more than lemons.

We also call limes, lemons. Lol
Their convo, if you read it line for line is straight out of classic "Who's on First" Abbott and Costello. You added a little zip to the convo.LOL

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The Professor does not drink.
So his question was not related to his interest in mixology.
Just another attempt to make a point using his socratic method of teaching.

Correct me if I am wrong...
But I have NEVER heard a Dominican refer to a yellow lemon as a Limón (lime).
The term I have always heard is Limón amarillo.
But that is just me.
I am not Dominican
I am only referencing how Dominicans have spoken to me personally about the issue.

You can indeed use lime juice in a Whiskey Sour.
Not sure why you would.
I have no idea why it would even interest someone who stopped drinking years ago.
But maybe that is because the person that made the comment has chosen not to speak up for himself.

There are so many other mixed drinks that you can make where lime works much better.
A margarita for example.
🤪
🥃🥃

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
JD quit drinking after he realized that we at DR1 don’t pay for carpel tunnel syndrome.

Now he uses that cash to stay healthy since you guys keep him busy.

I told him no carpel tunnel insurance but here is an Axe you can use when needed.
There's no electricity in San Cristobal today due to a scheduled maintenance project.

I didn't notice though, because the generator I purchased with the money I've saved keeps the A/C running. :love:

• Love
Reactions: AlterEgo

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I am certainly glad that my money is not so tight that I cannot even afford things that I like.

What have I given up in order to be able to afford purchase Bourbon in the Dominican Republic?
Well I gave up living in my country of origin and received a better standard of living at a lower cost.
I also receive the benefits of currency arbitrage.

With those savings I was able to buy a 24 Volt 3500 Watt modified sign wave inverter and four batteries.
My lights have always stayed on as I have always owned one while living in the 🇩🇴 .
And I can keep much more than just a full bar.

Here is the best value I have found in Bourbon (and note the price is up 95 pesos since my last buy):
Quarter Horse Black Label700 ml710$12.91Carrefour
How did I pay for it?
Canceled my membership to Smart Fit 🤪
🥃🥃

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I am certainly glad that my money is not so tight that I cannot even afford things that I like.

What have I given up in order to be able to afford purchase Bourbon in the Dominican Republic?
Well I gave up living in my country of origin and received a better standard of living at a lower cost.
I also receive the benefits of currency arbitrage.

With those savings I was able to buy a 24 Volt 3500 Watt modified sign wave inverter and four batteries.
My lights have always stayed on as I have always owned one while living in the 🇩🇴 .
And I can keep much more than just a full bar.

Here is the best value I have found in Bourbon (and note the price is up 95 pesos since my last buy):
Quarter Horse Black Label700 ml710$12.91Carrefour
How did I pay for it?
Canceled my membership to Smart Fit 🤪
🥃🥃
Lucky man! Then again, So am I because I didn't HAVE to give up anything. I did it for my health.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Good for you brother‼️
There is nothing more important than ones health.

Everybody seems to get to crack a joke up in here but me.
I wish I could buy slightly used senses of humor in bulk and pass them out here on DR1

So, in the spirit of humor

I tell my girl all the time:
"I'll give up drinking when you give your emotions up".

🤪

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Good for you brother‼️
There is nothing more important than ones health.

Everybody seems to get to crack a joke up in here but me.
I wish I could buy slightly used senses of humor in bulk and pass them out here on DR1

So, in the spirit of humor

I tell my girl all the time:
"I'll give up drinking when you give your emotions up".

🤪
LOL, don't hold your breath for that one. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The Professor does not drink.
So his question was not related to his interest in mixology.
Just another attempt to make a point using his socratic method of teaching.

Correct me if I am wrong...
But I have NEVER heard a Dominican refer to a yellow lemon as a Limón (lime).
The term I have always heard is Limón amarillo.
But that is just me.
I am not Dominican
I am only referencing how Dominicans have spoken to me personally about the issue.

You can indeed use lime juice in a Whiskey Sour.
Not sure why you would.
I have no idea why it would even interest someone who stopped drinking years ago.
But maybe that is because the person that made the comment has chosen not to speak up for himself.

There are so many other mixed drinks that you can make where lime works much better.
A margarita for example.
🤪
🥃🥃
Incorrect, I drink red wine and beer, and one the odd occasion vodka, or brady, also like a good port. I asked if you use lemons or limes because I know the limited availability of yellow lemons and the abundance of limes. I drink lime juice and warm water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar every morning for my health. My wife is a non-drink or alcohol because she doesn't like the taste, no other reason. I spent many nights in various bars in numerous countries drinking every drink made. I did military tours in Germany, Cyprus, Egypt, Djibouti, Ethiopia, and Honduras.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
@bob saunders
Not really into red wine and beer. Although on occasion I will have both. But we can talk vodka and brandy. I don't have any port on my shelf here in the Dominican Republic. Lemons for me are a special treat because they are not always available in the Dominican Republic. For a whiskey sour they say you can use lime juice for a variation on the drink. I personally am not interested in doing that. If I cannot get fresh lemon juice I am not making that drink.

Vodka I keep Russian Standard and Tito's on my shelf right now in the Dominican Republic. I also like Absolute Vanilla but I don't have any on my shelf right now. I need to re-up. I like using Russian Standard in my sweet mixes as I find it has a little bit of bitterness to it. I use Tito's in my sour drinks since the base grain is corn it tends to be a little sweeter. It really is a good vodka. Just a little expensive at between 1400 - 1500 DOP/750 ml. Russian Standard runs about 950 DOP/750 ml. I don't know the prices in Duty Free. I have not checked.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
@jd426
For the record I do not need to leave my house in order to "pop bottles". 🍾 in the Dominican Republic. I especially don't need to goto Sosua beach to do it. I keep a full bar that rivals what most bars in Sosua have on their shelf. In fact I cannot even buy most of my favorites in most of the bars on the strip or on the beach. For that matter, I can't buy most of my favorites in the liquor stores that are available in Sosua with a few exceptions:
Atlantico Rum Platino
(but the prices are horrible so I bring my own bottle and ones for my boys)
Leyenda (same bad pricing so I bring my own bottle and ones for my boys)
Wild Turkey 81
I don't have to pretend I am doing anything with my money. And I don't have any desire to be a fish. Because I keep fish in my pond. But they call Senior Vegas, Jefe. The chicas (well, I don't kiss and tell). I would also like to add that I don't have to get on a plane to do anything in the Dominican Republic.
I live here. Do you?
The next time you are visiting the Dominican Republic...stop by and have a drink with me.
Take the edge off. 🤪

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
@jd426
For the record I do not need to leave my house in order to "pop bottles". 🍾 in the Dominican Republic. I especially don't need to goto Sosua beach to do it. I keep a full bar that rivals what most bars in Sosua have on their shelf. In fact I cannot even buy most of my favorites in most of the bars on the strip or on the beach. For that matter, I can't buy most of my favorites in the liquor stores that are available in Sosua with a few exceptions:
Atlantico Rum Platino
Wild Turkey 81
I don't have to pretend I am doing anything with my money. And I don't have any desire to be a fish. Because I keep fish in my pond. But they call Senior Vegas, Jefe. The chicas (well, I don't kiss and tell). I would also like to add that I don't have to get on a plane to do anything in the Dominican Republic.
I live here. Do you?
The next time you are visiting the Dominican Republic...stop by and have a drink with me.
Take the edge off. 🤪
Where can I find you... at the flip Flop bar ? i just may stop by in July .

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Where can I find you... at the flip Flop bar ? i just may stop by in July .
Let me know the dates of your visit.
I am not familiar with that establishment.
But if you are...and you like it and I wish to make a road trip, then I can meet you there.
Or the other one you mentioned that you like...Blue Ice I think it was.

If you actually like visiting the real Dominican Republic that exists outside of Sosua. 🤪
There is a nice place call Marcu's Lounge and Grill on Av. San Isidro. Outdoor seating with several televisions to watch sporting events. A nice place to enjoy a drink without any craziness and they also have good food. You won't find me there or any other place. Because I actually like hanging out in my place in the Dominican Republic. Because although I might be a guest. I live here (how did you put it) 24/7.

If you want to know where you will always find me...my favorite place to hang out is the Vegas Bar. It is on EASTSIDE!! Talk about a high level of customer service. The owner features everything I like. It is always open whenever I want a drink. And even if I'm in the place by myself, I always have someone intelligent to talk to. Must be in my DNA.

Reactions: jd426

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
@jd426
Atlantico Rum Platino
Wild Turkey 81
I live here. Do you?
Take the edge off. 🤪

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Atlantico Platino Ron Artesanal
I have only found it on the North Coast.
ABV 40%/750 ml
It mixes well
In my rum punch and with orange juice.
I'm all out now.
Gonna re-up with two or three bottles next time I am up on the North Coast

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
My rum shelf is running deep with talent.
Just added another new bottle:
Ron Abuelo Añejo 7 años
Producto de Panamá
ABV 37.5%, 750 ml
Sourced: Licormart
Excellent everyday sipper neat.