Bourbon

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I want to gift Dominican rum to someone that typically drinks bourbon. What are your suggestions? Is 1888 the best one?
No limit budget: Don Miguel Roble Americano Tostado Fuerte

Budget: I would recommend Don Miguel Legado Special Blend

Midrange: 1888

All should appeal to a Bourbon drinker.
They are complex without being overly sweet.
I have them all on my shelf.
🥃 🥃

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Pricesmart, Santo Domingo Este
1888 1950 DOP
Leyenda 1020 DOP

Super Pola, Sosua
1888 2380 DOP
Leyenda 1320 DOP

Where to buy that is not a straight jack on the NorthCoast ❓

EASTSIDE!!

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Atlántico Reserva

"With the solera aging method, instead of emptying the entire barrel, only a portion (typically around half) of the contents are removed. The rest of that original product remains behind, and then newly produced product is added to restore the barrel to full capacity. The mixture is then placed back into storage to age."

I do not recommend this as a sipper. It is harsh and hot. But as a mixer the flavors really pop through orange juice and holds it own in my rum punch. I ran through two bottles during my vacation up north. It has earned a place on my shelf as a goto mixer. I have only seen it on the North Coast.

It is a 🇩🇴 ron and aged in 🇺🇲 whiskey barrels. And gets a enthusiastic BOOYAO‼️

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Been going hard in the paint with all the extra free time I've had on my hands for the last two weeks. Catching a case is like being receiving the gift of time. You only do two days. The first day and the last day. The rest you get to enjoy yourself to the fullest. At least I did.

Been mixing it up:
Patron
Deep Eddy
Atlántico
Extra Viejo

Not everyone gets to live like I do. But those who do...well they know. Details to follow. Still need to pour my thoughts into the keyboard in order for them to manifest themselves here in the digital world (that when you really think about it does not even matter).

In the mean time...keep mixing it up...or just keep it neat...
Either way, it will taste just a good.
BOOYAO‼️

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
IS JACK DANIELS A BOURBON ???

Bourbon whiskey is one of the world’s most popular types of spirits. It has a distinctly sweet aroma with a delicious flavor profile. For a spirit to be considered bourbon it must be:

• Produced in the United States
  • Made with a mash bill that is at least 51% corn
  • Aged in new, charred oak containers
  • Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)
  • Entered into the barrel for ageing at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume)
  • Bottled at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)
Jack Daniels has a mash bill of approximately 80% corn, 12% rye and 8% malt.

It is fermented in copper stills then aged in new charred American white oak barrels for at least 2 years.

The ingredients and distillation process used to make Jack Daniels fulfil all of the requirements necessary for it to be considered an American bourbon whiskey — yet it is not called a bourbon.

The reason it is not called a bourbon is the additional step that Jack Daniels take when making their whiskey.

Before the distillate is placed into barrels for ageing, it is slowly filtered through 10 feet of sugar maple charcoal.

This process removes some of the impurities and harsh flavours from the spirit, making it smoother and easy-to-drink. It also makes the whiskey take on a slightly smokey character.

This filtering technique called the “Lincoln County Process” is why Jack Daniels is considered a Tennessee whiskey instead of a bourbon.

Having said that, it is Jack Daniels themselves that choose not to call it a bourbon. Technically it could be called bourbon despite the Lincoln County Process as nothing is added during this stage.

So the jury is still out really!

Reactions: JD Jones

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The process of distillation cannot be patented.
A distillery in 🇩🇴 can use the formula to make bourbon.
They simply could not call it Bourbon because it was not made in the United States.

The bottling requirements stated in post #294 has exceptions.

Bourbon is a naming convention, just like Scotch or Tequila.
Interestingly Rum has no naming conventions, nor does Vodka

Thank you for your contributions to the Bourbon thread @william webster and @windeguy
Good to see positive input‼️

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
from the article
=================================

Bourbon is made with a minimum of 51% corn in its grain mash for it to earn the true label of "bourbon." Bourbon Country says that traditionally bourbon is a liquor protected by the U.S. Trade Legislation, making it a distinctly American product. The corn used in bourbon mash is what gives this particular whiskey its distinct style and flavors of caramel and vanilla, according to the American Bourbon Association. The site also explains the drink must also be 160 proof or less, tagged in charred oak barrels, and not have any additives to be legally considered a bourbon whiskey.

The origin of bourbon, while intrinsically linked to the invention of whiskey, has its root in the Bluegrass state of Kentucky. World Whiskey Day reports that Kentucky state produces 95% of the world's entire supply of bourbon thanks to its massive local corn production. Even though bourbon is mostly made in Kentucky, legally it can be made anywhere in the U.S., so long as it maintains the methods of manufacturing.

Read More: https://www.tastingtable.com/1114279/the-difference-between-bourbon-and-whiskey/?utm_campaign=clip

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
"Put at its most simple Whisky is the overall category and both bourbon and Scotch are distinct types of whisky."

I've known the difference for a long time.
But I appreciate contributions to education on the subject from everyone.