Brahma Beer

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
MrMike said:
(Presidente is out of stock on fridges for the next 2 months or so and they don't give them away, but they do give 18 month payment plans on refrigerators, which is real nice of them)

Are you sure Presidente does not give the fridges away??

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
HOWMAR said:
This is a totally irrational post. If you are saying that you pay 7 to 8 dollars for Heineken, Corona, Becks and you feel they are inferior to Presidente, then you are consuming too much. Especially with Presidente at 40 pesos/bottle which comes to $8.57 per six-pack.
Wow, prices have just about doubled. Wasn't it just a few years ago that the prices were RD11 per bottle? At the time the I thought the peso was about 15:1.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
HOWMAR said:
This is a totally irrational post. If you are saying that you pay 7 to 8 dollars for Heineken, Corona, Becks and you feel they are inferior to Presidente, then you are consuming too much. Especially with Presidente at 40 pesos/bottle which comes to $8.57 per six-pack.

I don't really understand your post or you didn't understand mine. Why is this irrational? 7-8 USD is how much a six pack of these beers cost in Michigan. I would buy Presidente if I could find it here and if it tasted the same. Are they inferior to Presidente? That's a matter of taste.

What I said was that I would rather pay 7 USD for a 6 pack of Becks than 4 USD for a 6 pack of Miller lite.

In addition I may be wrong but I don't think that a small presidente (equivalent in size to one of these beers I mentioned) cost 40 pesos each if you buy it at the supermarket. As a matter of fact I'm 100% sure that's not the case. I was in The DR a couple of weeks ago and threw a party at my house. I bought cases of 12 grandes - (Not the jumbo size, but super cold from the colmado) at 600 pesos or 50/ea.

After I posted I went to Mandale to check the price of Presidente. A pequena (again comparable to the size of beers sold here) cost 29.45 pesos - About 1 USD per bottle or 6 USD per 6 pack. They probably cost around 25 pesos in a colmado or if you buy it at the super by the case. To me that's not expensive at all...

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
La Mariposa said:
Are you sure Presidente does not give the fridges away??
A while back the owner of a bar told me the same thing. It might be different today. Remember, Presidente is/was essentially a monopoly.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
suarezn said:
I don't really understand your post or you didn't understand mine. Why is this irrational? 7-8 USD is how much a six pack of these beers cost in Michigan. Are they inferior to Presidente? That's a matter of taste.

What I said was that I would rather pay 7 USD for a 6 pack of Becks than 4 USD for a 6 pack of Miller lite.

In addition I may be wrong but I don't think that a small presidente (equivalent in size to one of these beers I mentioned) cost 40 pesos each if you buy it at the supermarket. As a matter of fact I'm 100% sure that's not the case. I was in The DR a couple of weeks ago and threw a party at my house. I bought cases of 12 grandes - (Not the jumbo size, but super cold from the colmado) at 600 pesos or 50/ea.
I too would rather pay 7USD for Becks than 4USD for Miller. But how is that statement related to Presidente. I would say Presidente is equal to the Miller. In the supermercados yesterday, President (small) was 38 pesos and grande was 50. Even at 38pesos, that is 8.14 USD per six. Do you think Presidente is equal to Becks or worth twice Miller?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
HOWMAR said:
I too would rather pay 7USD for Becks than 4USD for Miller. But how is that statement related to Presidente. I would say Presidente is equal to the Miller. In the supermercados yesterday, President (small) was 38 pesos and grande was 50. Even at 38pesos, that is 8.14 USD per six. Do you think Presidente is equal to Becks or worth twice Miller?

Dude go back and re-read my post. OK...slowly now...

Point # 1

1. I consider Presidente to be similar or better in taste to Becks.
2. I pay 7-8 USD for a six pack of Becks
3. I pay 6 USD for a similar 6 pack of tasty Presidente
4. Thus...TO ME...Presidente is NOT overpriced...

Point # 2

1. I consider Miller, Budweiser and others to be inferior to Presidente
2. Since I cannot find Presidente here in The US I look for similar beers (i.e. Becks). These similar beers cost about 7-8 USD per 6 packs.
3. Thus it follows that I consider Becks to be superior to Miller, Bud and others
4. I could pay about 4.50 for a 6 pack of miller here in The US.
5. Since I don't care for Miller, Bud and others I would rather pay the 7-8 USD for Becks.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
When I'm in the UK I tend to drink Becks or the Czech Budweiser.
For me they are similar in taste to Presidente.
Presidente is still my favorite beer :)

Note: Czech Budweiser has nothing to do with the US company.
The bottles look similar, but the beer is VERY different.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
So far so good

?'ve had it available at the bar for only a few days and it has outsold Presidente by far. As for me, Bohemia has always been my favorite but I'm going to try Brahma for a few more days. Who knows. It's nice to see Presidente get a bit of competition. They have abused their customers for way too long. VIVA Brahma. LOL

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Robert said:
When I'm in the UK I tend to drink Becks or the Czech Budweiser.
For me they are similar in taste to Presidente.

Note: Czech Budweiser has nothing to do with the US company.
The bottles look similar, but the beer is VERY different.

Hey good taste in beer. Czech Budweiser's real name is Budweiser Budvar or (Czechvar here in The US).

Here are a few others that I like:

Spatten, Becks, Pilsner Urquell, Newcastle, St. Pauli Girl, Guinness (draft), Carta Blanca, Warsteiner, Grolsch, Zywiec, Sam Adams (regular), Anchor Steam, sleeman...

As you can see I tend to go for the heavier, more flavorful brews.

I would agree that none taste the same as an ice cold Presidente, in a hot day, in The DR, on the beach with a nice beautiful girl by your side...

Is it the beer or the ambience? Who knows, but I'm sure getting an itch to go back again...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
rellosk said:
A while back the owner of a bar told me the same thing. It might be different today. Remember, Presidente is/was essentially a monopoly.
I know for sure that a few yars ago, Presidente sold their Fridges. They offered 0% financing over 12 months. That's why a lot of Dominican colmados etc. have them. With Brahma supplying them for free, I think you''ll see a lot of changes in Presidente's marketing. About time.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Last March, a friend of mine got one free. A brand new one and new model too. I have to say that he already had 3 Presidente fridges in his colmado (don't know if he paid for those 3 though)

gagilmer

Jul 12, 2005
Presidente Price

My 2 cents....

(Robert...this is more or less on topic...be kind)

Haven't tried Brahma but:
I was there a couple'a weeks ago. Presidentes purchased by the bottle when having a meal seemed to be a bit pricey. However; I bought a 6 at the Supermarcado Lindo in Las Terrenas for 180 pesos...Buck A Beer. That's what most decent beers...Corona...Sam's...Pete's Wicked...as well as that SKUNKY SWILL Heineken costs at supermarkets here in Virginia. I enjoyed the Presidente as much as any of the aformentioned brews that are a few giant steps above the average mass-produced US beers. As far as US prices go...it seems a fair price. If however you consider Presidente equal to Bud, Miller, Pabst or other watered-down panther pi$$...then it might seem too expensive. The moral...drink a decent beer...not swill...and the price is fair by US standards but pricey by DR standards.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Perhaps we should add....

Our nationality after our remarks. To us British folk this is not beer at all it is lager - and bad lager at that.

Oxford English dictionary - Beer - an alchoholic drink brewed from malt sugar hops and water.

I count the contents of "Beer" to be 5 things (I'm including alchohol) It would appear that Brahma have only included one!

Simon - British - Likes drinking Beer (Bass, London Pride, Gales, etc).

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Hey Eddie,

Eddy said:
I know for sure that a few yars ago, Presidente sold their Fridges. They offered 0% financing over 12 months. That's why a lot of Dominican colmados etc. have them. With Brahma supplying them for free, I think you''ll see a lot of changes in Presidente's marketing. About time.

I remember you saying that that one cooler against the wall worked great.. and you were proud of it. ;) BRAHMA'S BEST is a whole lot better than the regular. The brand itself is a very big seller in the Northeast of BRASIL. I believe I was paying one real FOR 700ML, cheap as hell at a tiki bar on the water with the insulated holder and top with like a 3 ounce cup, it is Like heaven. Great service, beaches, and cold beers from smokin women .

btw.... do you still have my camera, that's traveled around the DR, because my stupidity, AND great people like,H.B,B.B and yourself. ;)

I'll see you soon.... just have a fast motorcycle for me to jump on. ;)

H.B. I can almost hear the chains rattling on the swing set. :nervous:

Apr 26, 2002
Dominicans are suckers for anything "new"

I remember when MGD was introduced - everyone in the parque central drinking it out of cans and insisting that it was better than Presidente. That lasted about four months. Now you barely see it. Viva Presidente!

Yes, I realize Presidente and MGD are affiliated.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
easygoin said:
I remember you saying that that one cooler against the wall worked great.. and you were proud of it. ;) BRAHMA'S BEST is a whole lot better than the regular. The brand itself is a very big seller in the Northeast of BRASIL. I believe I was paying one real FOR 700ML, cheap as hell at a tiki bar on the water with the insulated holder and top with like a 3 ounce cup, it is Like heaven. Great service, beaches, and cold beers from smokin women .

btw.... do you still have my camera, that's traveled around the DR, because my stupidity, AND great people like,H.B,B.B and yourself. ;)

I'll see you soon.... just have a fast motorcycle for me to jump on. ;)

H.B. I can almost hear the chains rattling on the swing set. :nervous:

Yep, it's in my desk drawer. Hope the girls you photographed are still as pretty when you develop the film. After all the camara has been here for nearly a year. You know how some girls get fat and ugly in one year's time.
Looking forward to your visit.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Fat women need loving to

Eddy said:
Yep, it's in my desk drawer. Hope the girls you photographed are still as pretty when you develop the film. After all the camara has been here for nearly a year. You know how some girls get fat and ugly in one year's time.
Looking forward to your visit.

Thanks for holding it for me. ;) hopefully when I come you will have some BRAHMA'S, that we can share together and afterwards go out and have a decent meal... it's on me. I'm sure after 12 of them they'll looks thin again. :eek:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
AZB said:
I don't know what everyone is talking about but me and my domincian friends had a side by side beer taste test. brahama vs. presidente. Brahma won by a slight margin. It was more smoother while presidente was more bitter.
Brahma will be a winner among girls for sure but guys will buy it too. Many people in santiago are very impressed with brahma beer.
AZB
Hmmm... I haven't had my second one yet and like I said it wasn't bad after eating spiced up food. I think it probably wasn't as bad as some of these yokels say!

Escott

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Why Dominicans are usually broke.

If you consider that the minimum wage in the DR is less than 5000 pesos/month for176 hours. That is less than 30 pesos/hr. In other words, a Dominican worker has to work almost an hour to earn one beer. In contrast to an American worker who only has to work approx. 8 minutes at minimum wage to earn a beer. Where is the equity?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Robert said:
Your favourite beer is one that should be drank when it is nearly frozen? I thought you Brits like your beer at room temperature.:)