(brand new video) dr festival in washington heights !! 10 minute mini movie !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I never said not one of those words the ones in quotations !!! ...

Next time i will do a film play mozart in the background and talk like thomas jefferson not george jefferson !!! Moving on up 2 the eastside !!!!

the heights not saying que lo que is like bush not mentioning the word "war"

Don't forget the powdered wig!!!!!!!!:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
LOL..you sound like 95% of the people that live in Washington Heights :bunny:

Why are folks suprised at the content of the video? It is a fact that a lot of people that live in Washington Heights act and talk like that.

I would have to agree with you; this is how many people in Washington Heights act. I don't think anyone is disputing that fact, what is getting some upset, myself included, is the negative image that much of Washington Heights sends out about the Dominican/American community.

Listening to these guys speak and toss trash in the street just feeds into these negative stereotypes. Bottom line is, yes, this is how many people act in Washington Heights. On the other hand, why would anyone want to promote this and make a video of which they seem proud of? Probably because they see nothing wrong with it...even worse.

Reactions: Lapurr
A

apostropheman

The content is not necessarily surprising but allowing it to be posted on DR1, defended and perhaps even promoted from here, is out if character, at least in how I previously perceived DR1.
LOL..you sound like 95% of the people that live in Washington Heights :bunny:

Why are folks suprised at the content of the video? It is a fact that a lot of people that live in Washington Heights act and talk like that.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I would have to agree with you; this is how many people in Washington Heights act. I don't think anyone is disputing that fact, what is getting some upset, myself included, is the negative image that much of Washington Heights sends out about the Dominican/American community.

Listening to these guys speak and toss trash in the street just feeds into these negative stereotypes. Bottom line is, yes, this is how many people act in Washington Heights. On the other hand, why would anyone want to promote this and make a video of which they seem proud of? Probably because they see nothing wrong with it...even worse.

I don't buy this argument, even though its' been repeated over and over again. These guys are young dominican men having fun at a parade.

There is no stereotype attached to that unless you have a predisposition to make general blanket statements about people for the worse.

Whenever I see young caucasian men acting like goons, throwing up and fighting in public during the St. Patrick's Day Parade, I never hear anyone talking about how it is a bad reflection on all americans of Irish Descent. And it never crosses my mind either-because individual actions should not be attributed to a whole group of people.

The guys in this video certainly weren't acting like drunken goons and fighting, so why the negativity?

You can't give one group a long rope and another a short one, short enough to strangle themselves if they move one inch out of line.

The fact of the matter is these young men in the video live in two worlds. You can't expect them to be uptight and overly proper all the time. They were just relaxing and letting loose on a day that was appropriate for them to do so.

Most posters who have issues with this video do not live in Washington Heights and are not members of Dominican-Kidds' peer group.

So if you don't live there you wouldn't understand.(Gee, where have I heard THAT before?:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:)

To say that many dominicans act this way in Washington Heights all the time is incorrect. They do not. This was a parade, and these guys were having a good time on a specific day.

Take a stroll through that neighborhood on any other day and all you will see are dominicans going about the business of living their lives.

So lets' not make this a moratorium on the behavior of a specific ethnic group. That is not what this video is meant to convey.

Last edited:
S

sokitoumi

plus he was told by someone in a previous video not to use that word - errrm who was that now...oh I remembered now

DOMINICAN-KIDD

Mar 21, 2008
to the last person yes i was told not to use the n word and i i repeat i didnt so i won that !

also we're not even from washington heights so thats proof of judging something without having proof of anything and we didnt throw garbage on the floor we thru it at each other

by the way filming the heritage and so on and so forth whoever said that let me tell u something if i filmed the parade like nbc does in the street you honestly think no one i repeat no one would do things like this !!!! yea they would but worse

berzin thanks for the input !!! but not one person has complimented me on the editing aspect of the film something you guys cant do ... i can take criticism i have no problem with that but at least say something like "the music was off" or "i dont like that font"

u guys the ones that talk bad keep on saying the same thing and i have a golden question

why do u still watch !!! ????

You guys threw garbage on the street! Way to go! Nothing like a nice summer stroll on trashed lined Broadway in the Heights.

The only time Broadway is semi clean is in January when it's too cold for people like yourself to be out on the street.

I don't buy this argument, even though its' been repeated over and over again. These guys are young dominican men having fun at a parade.

There is no stereotype attached to that unless you have a predisposition to make general blanket statements about people for the worse.

Whenever I see young caucasian men acting like goons, throwing up and fighting in public during the St. Patrick's Day Parade, I never hear anyone talking about how it is a bad reflection on all americans of Irish Descent. And it never crosses my mind either-because individual actions should not be attributed to a whole group of people.

The guys in this video certainly weren't acting like drunken goons and fighting, so why the negativity?

You can't give one group a long rope and another a short one, short enough to strangle themselves if they move one inch out of line.

The fact of the matter is these young men in the video live in two worlds. You can't expect them to be uptight and overly proper all the time. They were just relaxing and letting loose on a day that was appropriate for them to do so.

Most posters who have issues with this video do not live in Washington Heights and are not members of Dominican-Kidds' peer group.

So if you don't live there you wouldn't understand.(Gee, where have I heard THAT before?:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:)

To say that many dominicans act this way in Washington Heights all the time is incorrect. They do not. This was a parade, and these guys were having a good time on a specific day.

Take a stroll through that neighborhood on any other day and all you will see are dominicans going about the business of living their lives.

So lets' not make this a moratorium on the behavior of a specific ethnic group. That is not what this video is meant to convey.

plus he was told by someone in a previous video not to use that word - errrm who was that now...oh I remembered now

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004

Let me make this perfectly clear, to forestall any more remarks of this nature...

My discomfort with the cursing and the use of the n-word has never wavered, and it didn't suddenly change with this video.

But if Robert doesn't mind, and he explained why on page 1, then it stays.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Yo niggas, just chill. This is your hommy azb shoutin at ya all. take a chill pill and let my nigga dominican kidd throw more videos at us.
AZB

Did I sound cool?

Yo money, you sounds cool!!!!

You can hang in minute with all the homeboys from the heights. lol

BTW, nutcrackers are the bomb;)

Just remember, the boogie down started these slang terms, in my opinion.

Peace my brother. (I think "my brother" sounds better than "my nigga")

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Whew! Ten minutes of frontin' and macho posturing. I was damn near riveted to my seat.

Full disclosure: Don't live in and have never been to Washington Heights.

I tried to view this through the lens of a short documentary ala Dominican Parade by "The Chosen Few" and missed the parade. What I did catch was Plebeian comparing of genitals. Been there, done that. Loads of fun. Kinda like all the previous episodes.

Drunk and puking Irish lads would at least have had an action scene.

Sollie

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006

If I were Irish/American and watched a bunch of guys waving the Irish flag and talking about how "Irish" they are while dropping the n-word and and throwing trash, (oh I'm sorry "throwing it at each other"), I would be a bit ashamed just the same. But the fact of the matter is, the Irish/American community doesn't have to deal with the types of stereotypes the smaller Dominican Community faces. I am not applying how these guys act to all Dominican/Americans in Washington Heights, but if anyone has lived there, this is unfortunately a pretty good demonstration of how things are.

I totally understand this is a video of a few friends having a good time; great. But let me tell you something, there were always two things that really got under my skin the six years I lived in Washington Heights before I moved to the DR. Both involved walking up Broadway and listening to Dominicans having trouble completing a sentence without using the n-word (all my cousins included) and the trash all over the street. So, maybe this video just pushed a couple personal buttons.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Addendum

"but not one person has complimented me on the editing aspect of the film something you guys cant do ... i can take criticism i have no problem with that but at least say something like "the music was off" or "i dont like that font"

Your editing was cinematic brilliance!:bunny:

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
just walking around not harm

Well this is my opinion!

This is a Party, hey and a Big Party so people celebrate in all kind of way
for what I see here was D.K and the folks chilling having fun not causing problems having a some liquido and walking around the block. You dont have this often. The only part Im disagree about the (N) word because that doesnt represent the Dominican society at all.

But things happens. Believe me nothing happen with these 3 amigos, I dont see big deal thing except the N word, if they were other type of crew one of them will end up locked up or knock out by other or who knows prob, worse
even you can see some other people joining them I guess because this was harmless actions.

I dont hang out in Toronto with the few Dominican that are here for a few reason. Most of them have some serius problems, most of them are broke,
and the very few that have not problem then live at regent park that is one of the worse housing that Toronto has when it come to safety not that Im scared of the dudes hanging in there.

Prob. Im getting old but I just tried to avoid prob. and hanging out alone no groups because there is always one super star.

So, you are lucky DK I guess because you friends seems harmless for there action.

PS: One day I saw a Domican guy I now, outside a club that the door man refused to let him, so I talked to the guy I told him that I know him that he was a cool guy. Then soon after we are in he was telling me that he got a knive on him that he was looking for a guy. I felt so bad because I didnt expect that for what I have to take care of him quickly in a smart way
I let him know that the club was bored that we should walk out and leave
I toke the guy to his house before thing get worse. So I learned my lesson.

DOMINICAN-KIDD

Mar 21, 2008
simpson and bronx boy thanks !! ... at least i didnt use the word ... the video is gdoing great on other sites ...check out atronao.com

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
By the way, good editing job. Some people don't realize how much work goes into making a video MTV style.
AZB

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008

We don't have to live in Washington Heights to know that unfortunately, a lot of the young Dominicans in the U.S. are living up to all the negative stereotypes about Dominicans.

Kidd, you do a great job editing and creating the videos. Why not do a video about your everyday work life. You said most of your friends are educated and working. I know you think most wouldn't watch, but I think it would be good for young Dominicans to see that you can be educated and have a 9-5 job and still hang out and chill with your friends on weekends.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
exactly

We don't have to live in Washington Heights to know that unfortunately, a lot of the young Dominicans in the U.S. are living up to all the negative stereotypes about Dominicans.

Kidd, you do a great job editing and creating the videos. Why not do a video about your everyday work life. You said most of your friends are educated and working. I know you think most wouldn't watch, but I think it would be good for young Dominicans to see that you can be educated and have a 9-5 job and still hang out and chill with your friends on weekends.

i second this notion Kidd, i know a lot of your videos are haging and or wilding out with the fellas, try putting a spin on it and give us something different and something that young Dominicans can use positively. i think there is only so much one can take of videos of DR with 50 cent playing in the background. FYI for an honest opinion of editing skills I guess I would have to see the WHOLE clip prior to editing, but for the most part good mixwork with volume and music and video, that takes time and patience [something positive did come from this after all]. peace - J

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Confused....

Mr. Berzin,

I am confused and a bit disappointed in your response. You have totally dissociated the context and content of this video from the reality you have so vehemently argued against in past threads and posts. In short this video is a reflection of all you have disapproved of in previous conversations. These gentlemen reflect that negative stereotype you argued in many previous posts, yet in this instance you have defended them, and the negativity they reflect. Degrading women, use of foul language and over all juxtaposition of the Dominican image as a "barrio chopo."

We as latinos need to stop equating "keeping it real" with keeping it real stupid and ignorant.[/B]

One thing that I hate about hip-hop and those who buy into all the stereotypes is that it has hijacked our cultural identity and cheapened it to the point where people immediately equate latino with "ghetto".

You state that they "live in two worlds," what world's are these? You state they can't be uptight all the time, but who is expecting them to be uptight and proper? The assertion that they are guys just hanging out on a particular day connotes that this is a one time thing, but as previous videos have demonstrated, this is just one in a serious of videos that glorify this behavior. Maybe you should "hang" with me and my peer group. We are young Dominicans, but never will you see us throwing trash on the ground, cat calling women, using foul language. My corps group of friends hold their head up high and understand the truth of positvely representing the best of our community. Do we drink and have fun, yes. Do we drink to much sometimes and get out of control, maybe. Do we make videos that degrade our community, no.

This is baffaling that you would defend this content and the negative affects, but had previously warned against this very same imagery. Why the change? What about Mr. Kidd's videos is appealing? I am telling you as a Dominican American that this behavior is not acceptable, no matter where you are and what you think. These gentlemen reflect all the negativity myself, and other like me, have to get over everytime we mention we are Dominican.

And unfortunately too many of our youth wear these stereotypes like a badge of honor.

Ever heard a young dominican exaggerating that annoying Cibao accent even though they've never stepped foot anywhere near the island?

Educated dominicans don't speak like that, and it would embarrass them to be around fools who act in such a way that does not elevate their culture.

We as latinos can and should strive to be better than the message we get from that music....

But let me tell you the damage it does-a young, intelligent, educated latino from the inner city is labeled twice-once in his hood from the morons who think he is a "sellout" and again out in the real world where some people expect the worse from him because he is latino and from the "hood".

This hurts a dominicans' chances at getting ahead and leading a decent life. But thank goodness it doesn't stop them.

Anyone who hangs out in Washington Heights knows that there are many young dominicans who conduct themselves with dignity and want nothing to do with those stereotypes. And they dress and behave much differently than their ghetto counterparts, who in the name of representing their "dominicanness" ruin it by the way they dress and act.

Do you think its fun "surprising" people with the fact that you can read, write and don't have a record at County? Do you think it makes you feel good to have only limited success expected from you, based on stereotypes?

These "fellas" solidify that "Washington Heights Dominican" image and lead many of us in and outside the Dominican community to then "expect" little or nothing from characters like this and ourselves. Many persons like me cringe at the thought of a persons like these standing in front of a television camera saying "I am Dominican" for the mere fact that outsiders will ultimately say "Yeah, that's what Dominicans are like."

Mr. Lu-

Young dominican males do not need "street cred" to validate their culture. Dominican culture is rich, varied and complex and doesn't eminate from the gutter like present-day hip-hop does.

They don't need to be exposed to misogynistic messages degrading women.

They don't need to resort to gratuitous cursing as a means of verbal expression.

They don't need to have drug dealers, pimps and gangsters as role models.

Further, it glorifies this image within our own community. When kids, teenagers, adults watch this on YouTube, or when persons from other countries watch this, they cement the image that this is what Dominicans are like.

Unfortunately for many Dominicans, as Mr. Murray had pointed, there is an added baggage to being Dominican. "We" are stereotyped from the moment we opens our mouths. And be mindful that this happened, and still happens to Irish Americans, just so happens that they have better incorporated into the overall American social fabric, so it's not as threatening.

As per your comment on blanket statements for people, you have done this in previous posts and the mere fact that you don't associate negativity with the actions of drunken Irishmen or loud Dominicans, doesn't mean it doesn't occur. This conversation goes far beyond your perspective, realities and opinions.

Much adu,

Mr. Lu

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris_NJ

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
welcome back Lu, was wondering when you were going to post on this thread again. Although many of us would like to agree with you and your opinions I believe the other moderators [or maybe Robert] gave the ok to post freely these types of videos on dr1? I know we try to be mindful of other's opinions and what they may or may not find offensive, but I think we all get your point of view about the skewed images and messages reflected in these home videos, even if it is made in the context of having fun.
I have given some thought to this and wanting to post my own videos of my next trip to DR, even have gone so far as to wonder what my videos will contain and how it will be viewed by the public. I know it is a free world, maybe i can put a DISCLAIMER prior to posting it in order not to offend anyone. maybe i can edit it to be more a documentary type film....i need to work on my editing skills first though....and debating what music to play in the background without stepping on anyone's toes! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.