bread flour

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
gold medal is good, pilsbury is good as well. we buy tons of that. check la sirena healthy food section. here in POP they have great selection of flours from bob's red mill.
where is bobs red mill? I noticed in the other thread u were saying that you go to sd for bread flour. Does bobs mill have bread flour?

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Yesterday was a great day for my bread making in the DR. I found Gold Medal bread flour at LA sierena. I grabbed 10 lbs. Maybe I will have more success with that than the two DR brands I tried and tried ....

La sirena in pop???

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just say "harina de pan". tommeyers is in santiago so he did not mean la sirena in POP.

we buy bread flour in SD, several bags in one go. for other flours i go to la sirena (barley, wholewheat, rye). last week i was in bravo in santiago and saw they has platano, batata and yuka flours. i wanted to buy but did not know how to use it...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Monday's Rye Bread

This week I received 2 bags (@ 50 lbs.) of pure, fresh rye flour (Type 997).
Yesterday I started my sour dough for baking on Monday.

For that I need dry weather (as my wood fired oven is outside).
So, please wish me luck... :bunny:

donP

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Ok so here we go - for those seeking Bread Flour within Sosua.

1 street north of Pedro Clisante, parallel to Pedro Clisante, on the street leading up to Super Pola is a small German bakery that sells amongst many other things, bread flour - it is 40RD for 500 grams, they also have bagels that are not hard like the rocks they sell in Playero.

Now Super Pola - Gold Medal "better for bread flour" - not sure that, that means it is exactly bread flour but I am assuming so. 5lbs = 230RD. Curious @Tommeyers - you mentioned you bought that in Santiago - what did you pay for the 10lbs?

Finally on a side note - I was hating on Super Pola initially because it is so cramped and I like the space in Playero but I have to say they have WAY more different things that Playero does not and better prices. Today was a lucky day.

@DonP - I have never tried to make rye bread. If you have a recipie can you sling it my way? Thanks

@DV8 - Thanks for the help with how to say bread flour in Spanish - it went a looonnnngggg way and got the job done =)

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
You know I wish I could tell you but all the writing on the bag is in German and the only reason we learned what it was is because someone working there took us to it after using DV8's spanish =) My sister is going to pop open both to compare.

There label in german says: Feines Selbstgeriebenes Weckmehl - Ingredients: Zutaten, Weizwnmehl, Wasser, Hefe, Salz, Backhilfsmittel, Emulgator, Tabilisaton.... maybe if anyone of speaks German is on here they can translate.

What cereal is it made of?
Where does it come from?

donP

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Nope, I've tried them all

I've never baked bread using DR flour and I see everybody here at least thinks it sucks.

Does anyone know what the panaderias here use for flour? Pan de agua made here is pretty tasty in my opinion.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Crumbing with Old Bread Crumbs

(...) label in german says: Feines Selbstgeriebenes Weckmehl - Ingredients: Zutaten, Weizwnmehl, Wasser, Hefe, Salz, Backhilfsmittel, Emulgator, Tabilisaton.... maybe if anyone of speaks German is on here they can translate.

Well, this is not flour. :classic:

It is ground old bread (rolls) ... :lick:
and you can use it to bread (to coat with breadcrumbs) your 'schnitzel'.... :bunny:

donP

P.S.:
Weizenmehl = Wheat flour
Wasser = Water
Hefe = Yeast
Salz = Salt
Backhilfsmittel, Emulgatoren, Stabilisatoren = Chemicals... :eek:

Last edited:

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Ohhh **** =( and the saga continues.... Is the Gold Medal "better for bread flour" bread flour?

Well, this is not flour. :classic:

It is ground old bread... :lick:
and you can use it to bread (to coat with breadcrums) your 'schnitzel'.... :bunny:

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Ohhh **** =( and the saga continues.... Is the Gold Medal "better for bread flour" bread flour?

yes, it is:

24esztt.jpg

you can also buy pillsbury flour:

34ffaxe.jpg

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I like wheat flour and i will blend it with white flour.

Last week I found a contributing problem to my bread problems. I had successes and failures with mostly similar ingredients. Problem: oven.

The heat in the oven is uneven. I'll experiment with some solutions. I found it when making a cake. The cake in the pan looked like a ski slope. Not a big problem but more a surprise.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I suppose that is wheat flour and what you'll get from it is 100% wheat bread.
I know, there are people who eat that... :ermm:

she is asking about basic bread flour. i use this mixed with other flours but even on its own it gives better bread than anything sold in local panaderias.