BREAKING NEWS : Republica Dominicana to remain on the red list for UK travellers.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I would urge all Brits here in the DR to post on the British Embassy Facebook page about the Red List situation and urge the Ambassador to lobby on our behalf with the UK Transport Secretary Grant Shapps. We need to have it changed !!!

Olly
www.facebook.com/UKinDomRep.

Reactions: drstock

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I'm so glad I live in the DR and not one of these countries where I can not travel freely or eat indoors at restaurants without having to show my papers like you do in the UK, Canada and parts of the USA. It makes life soooo much more enjoyable.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I'm so glad I live in the DR and not one of these countries where I can not travel freely or eat indoors at restaurants without having to show my papers like you do in the UK, Canada and parts of the USA. It makes life soooo much more enjoyable.

The UK is completely open, no restrictions, no showing of any papers. The only restrictions are the 7 countries on the red list, and no I don't understand why DR is on there either. Everyone is in a state of shock.

• Sad
Reactions: drstock and Olly

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The UK is completely open, no restrictions, no showing of any papers. The only restrictions are the 7 countries on the red list, and no I don't understand why DR is on there either. Everyone is in a state of shock.
Good question.
Doctor's orders?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I have just posted this on the Nigel Farage Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/GBNewsOnline/ as a question : Why was the Dominican Republic kept on the RED list? We have lobbied the British Ambassador to the Dominican Republic but not action there. This is what I posted on the Dominican Republic British Ambassador's page on the 5th September : Dear Ambassador Mockbul Ali , As a British citizen I am extremely concerned that the Dominican Republic is still on the RED list for travel for UK Nationals despite the super efforts the Dominican Republic Government has made combating Covid 19 . We are resident here and over 70 years of age and not seen our family for over three years. The efforts the Dominican Republic Government has made should at least be considered. As of today only 285 cases were reported here ( Bulletin 535 ) and Cruises have started up again! So why is the Dominican Republic not on the green list of countries for UK Nationals to visit?

The latest update from the UK Goverment , 7th October 2021, still keeps the Dominican Republic on the RED list but there is no rational why. The figures are really good in terms of COVID infections so why is it being kept on the RED list ? Perhaps you can ask this question to the UK Transport Secretary Grant Shapps ?

Olly ( No Team )

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
In addition to the examples you cited, it goes far beyond that: The importance of sharing and putting something in the family pot. Offering a saludos when entering a restaurant or group situation. Not being caught up in the meme tread of the day...AKA "Me too movements" . Accepting the day thats in front of you and thanking G for another day. Going off topic here....more later at another time.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
As much as the covid stats have little to do with the red list, don't look now but the covid numbers in the DR have been steadily rising the last couple of weeks.

Reactions: BermudaRum

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
In addition to the examples you cited, it goes far beyond that: The importance of sharing and putting something in the family pot. Offering a saludos when entering a restaurant or group situation. Not being caught up in the meme tread of the day...AKA "Me too movements" . Accepting the day thats in front of you and thanking G for another day. Going off topic here....more later at another time.
Ya killing me bro, lol...
but I do agree with you 100%.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Here is Grant Shapps' email address: shappsg@parliament.uk. And here is his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grant.shapps . Please contact him.

The following countries have been removed from the "Red List" and have free entry: Afghanistan, Angola, Argentina, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Burundi, Cape Verde, Chile, Congo (Democratic Republic), Costa Rica, Cuba. Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, French Guiana, Georgia, Guyana, Indonesia, Lesotho, Malawi, Mayotte, Mexico, Mongolia, Montenegro, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Paraguay, Philippines, Réunion, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Suriname, Tanzania, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Uganda, Uruguay, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

They must all be safer than the DR - mustn't they? :rolleyes:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have just posted this on the Nigel Farage Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/GBNewsOnline/ as a question : Why was the Dominican Republic kept on the RED list? We have lobbied the British Ambassador to the Dominican Republic but not action there. This is what I posted on the Dominican Republic British Ambassador's page on the 5th September : Dear Ambassador Mockbul Ali , As a British citizen I am extremely concerned that the Dominican Republic is still on the RED list for travel for UK Nationals despite the super efforts the Dominican Republic Government has made combating Covid 19 . We are resident here and over 70 years of age and not seen our family for over three years. The efforts the Dominican Republic Government has made should at least be considered. As of today only 285 cases were reported here ( Bulletin 535 ) and Cruises have started up again! So why is the Dominican Republic not on the green list of countries for UK Nationals to visit?

The latest update from the UK Goverment , 7th October 2021, still keeps the Dominican Republic on the RED list but there is no rational why. The figures are really good in terms of COVID infections so why is it being kept on the RED list ? Perhaps you can ask this question to the UK Transport Secretary Grant Shapps ?

Olly ( No Team )
Why on Earth contact Nigel Farage and GB News? Nobody in the government will listen to him!

• Sad
Reactions: Jourgey and Olly

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
This is apparently the reason:

Which countries are still on the red list?.... and WHY...
"There is concern about the presence of two Covid variants - known as the Mu and Lambda."
Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, Haiti and the Dominican Republic remain on the UK's red list under the latest changesIf you have been in one of these countries in the last 10 days you cannot travel to the UKThe only exception is if you are are a UK or Irish national or UK resident - in which case, you must pay to stay in a government-approved quarantine hotel for 11 nights at a cost of £2,285 for one adult.
There is concern about the presence of two Covid variants - known as the Mu and Lambda - that the World Health Organization has designated as Variants of Interest in the countries and territories that have remained on the red list Ministers consider risk assessments by the Joint Biosecurity Centre (JBC) when deciding which countries to remove or add to the red list The data for all countries is kept under review, and the government says it will act if a country's epidemiological situation changes.

From BBC.News

Olly ( No team)

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Why on Earth contact Nigel Farage and GB News? Nobody in the government will listen to him!
Why not ? It is another media channel but personal e-mails to Shapps might have more impact.

Olly ( No Team)

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Ah so finally they have said it's all to do with Mu and Lambda strains. I haven't heard much said about those in DR though. Are they a thing here?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
This is apparently the reason:

Which countries are still on the red list?.... and WHY...
"There is concern about the presence of two Covid variants - known as the Mu and Lambda."
Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, Haiti and the Dominican Republic remain on the UK's red list under the latest changesIf you have been in one of these countries in the last 10 days you cannot travel to the UKThe only exception is if you are are a UK or Irish national or UK resident - in which case, you must pay to stay in a government-approved quarantine hotel for 11 nights at a cost of £2,285 for one adult.
There is concern about the presence of two Covid variants - known as the Mu and Lambda - that the World Health Organization has designated as Variants of Interest in the countries and territories that have remained on the red list Ministers consider risk assessments by the Joint Biosecurity Centre (JBC) when deciding which countries to remove or add to the red list The data for all countries is kept under review, and the government says it will act if a country's epidemiological situation changes.

From BBC.News

Olly ( No team)
I don't buy it at all. If there was real science behind it, the DR would be on lists or restrictions from many other countries. But only the UK gov deems that the DR is one of the seventh most covid infested countries on the planet. They are morons.

Mu and Lambda my arse! Do you think that the Democratic Republic of Congo or Somalia has the capability to detect different variants?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I wrote on Grant Shapps' Facebook page asking why The DR remained on the Red List. Someone commented that he has a map of the world on the wall and throws darts at it - where they land, those are the countries on the list! :giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The TImes reported today that the UK is going to abandon hotel quarantine for those on the red list, so anyone coming in from DR would need to self-isolate at home but not in a hotel. With so few countries now on the red list, and countries that haven't got strong relationships with the UK, there will now only be a tiny handful of arriving passengers. The rule was that the whole hotel had to be converted to a red list quarantine hotel, and I suspect most hotels will not want to carry on with such small numbers.

Reactions: drstock