BREAKING NEWS : Republica Dominicana to remain on the red list for UK travellers.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Reactions: drstock and beeza

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

It seems that a lot of people are questioning why these seven have been stuck on the red list now.

“I don’t see much logic in this decision,” the epidemiologist said. “But then again, the UK has not been well-known for taking appropriate measures during the pandemic.”
I do not think the UK applies logic to anything these days.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Somebody just said on Facebook that the UK doesn't accept Pfizer vaccinations if given in the DR. I checked on this govt. site and it doesn't say that Pfizer isn't accepted from the DR, but it does say that vaccine certificates from the DR are not accepted! I don't know if this is just because the DR is still on the UK Red List, but I would advise anyone thinking of travelling to the UK to check with the UK Embassy. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/countri...es-and-proof-of-vaccination#approved-vaccines

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I heard today that the UK is not going to review the red list until sometime in the spring. This isn't a rumor it was in an official letter from the government. So basically this means no British tourists until at least the end of this year and no Dominicans can visit the UK

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I heard today that the UK is not going to review the red list until sometime in the spring. This isn't a rumor it was in an official letter from the government. So basically this means no British tourists until at least the end of this year and no Dominicans can visit the UK
I don’t know what the EU policy is right now and Denmark where I am from but I think this could partly explain the vaccination card requirement here and the DR government scrambling. Honestly I was always doubtful if the EU and UK would accept any vaccination here in the DR so if it’s true the UK don’t accept Pfizer vaccination done in the DR I am not surprised. I won’t bother getting more than the two Sinovac I already have then.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
This is a quote from the UK Government Website on Red List Countries and the updating of the LIST: The risk posed by individual countries and territories is monitored continuously and the red list is reviewed every 3 weeks. Countries and territories can be added to the list or taken off it more frequently if conditions change.

Source : https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-list-of-countries-and-territories#stay-up-to-date

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
This is a quote from the UK Government Website on Red List Countries and the updating of the LIST: The risk posed by individual countries and territories is monitored continuously and the red list is reviewed every 3 weeks. Countries and territories can be added to the list or taken off it more frequently if conditions change.

Source : https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-list-of-countries-and-territories#stay-up-to-date

I know. The Transport Secretary, Grant Shapps, sent a letter to someone who has a business in DR and was complaining that the DR is still on the red list. And in this letter he says that the next time the red list will be reviewed will be early in the new year. This was in the last few days, so I presume this means the 3-week reviews are now not happening.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I don’t know what the EU policy is right now and Denmark where I am from but I think this could partly explain the vaccination card requirement here and the DR government scrambling. Honestly I was always doubtful if the EU and UK would accept any vaccination here in the DR so if it’s true the UK don’t accept Pfizer vaccination done in the DR I am not surprised. I won’t bother getting more than the two Sinovac I already have then.

I don't think the UK will let anyone in who has been in the DR in the last 10 days unless they are a British national (and the Brits have to hotel quarantine). So if you are Danish and tried to enter the UK having been in the DR in the last 10 days you would be refused entry and sent back

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I don't think the UK will let anyone in who has been in the DR in the last 10 days unless they are a British national (and the Brits have to hotel quarantine). So if you are Danish and tried to enter the UK having been in the DR in the last 10 days you would be refused entry and sent back
I wasn’t considering that. You misunderstood. I think you are remembering an old plan of mine from the pandemic 2020. I was just in this UK topic thread speculating about the EU policy which I don’t know. For traveling to Denmark in 2022 I am looking at via Madrid and Hamburg. That’s the way I came back here last and last December I went SD - Miami - Heathrow and Copenhagen. Never again and since that it hasn’t been possible either.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
I wasn’t considering that. You misunderstood. I think you are remembering an old plan of mine from the pandemic 2020. I was just in this UK topic thread speculating about the EU policy which I don’t know. For traveling to Denmark in 2022 I am looking at via Madrid and Hamburg. That’s the way I came back here last and last December I went SD - Miami - Heathrow and Copenhagen. Never again and since that it hasn’t been possible either.
SDQ-PTY-AMS-CPH (Copa & KLM) an option?

It even gives you the required documents/vaccination information and quarantine requirements.

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
SDQ-PTY-AMS-CPH (Copa & KLM) an option?

It even gives you the required documents/vaccination information and quarantine requirements.
Thanks for the advice but I will be going SD - Madrid - Hamburg with Iberia as I really liked going that route in March when I travelled back here. My mum who is British but lives in Denmark is actually in England now with my oldest brother who is Danish like me of course and they had to go and get a PCR test within 24 hours of arrival. I have totally given up any ideas of going via England to Denmark or to England coming from the DR to visit my mother while she is there. I hope to travel to Denmark next summer. Will stay here until then. I have seen something in the UK press now of the UK maybe introducing more restrictions again. There seems to be just no end to this.

Reactions: Liberator

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I know. The Transport Secretary, Grant Shapps, sent a letter to someone who has a business in DR and was complaining that the DR is still on the red list. And in this letter he says that the next time the red list will be reviewed will be early in the new year. This was in the last few days, so I presume this means the 3-week reviews are now not happening.
Here is what we have just received from UK Department of Transport in response to our E-mail complaint of 8th October to Shapps about DR still being on the RED List. The relevant parts are shown below :
As of 4am on Monday 4 October, the traffic light system has been replaced
by a single red list of countries and territories which will continue to be crucial
to protect public health. This list will be reviewed every three weeks. The
rules for travel from countries and territories not on the red list will depend on
vaccination status.

and further down :

Moving forward, the Government will further review the UK’s international
travel policy early in the new year to provide further certainty for the spring
and summer 2022 seasons.

MariaRubia this last paragraph is s POLICY REVIEW not a list review of the RED List countries. So this may have confused your friend!

Olly and the team

Reactions: AlaPlaya

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The Daily Telegraph and The Sun newspapers are both reporting that the red list is due to be scrapped today (Thursday), in advance of the COP 26 meeting in Glasgow. So it could be good news day.

Reactions: drstock

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Travel red list and hotel quarantine set to be scrapped​

Relaxation of rules, to be considered by ministers on Thursday, comes amid dramatic weakening in Covid threat from overseas

By Charles Hymas, Home Affairs Editor 27 October 2021 • 8:00pm
Hotel quarantine

Hotel quarantine is expected to be replaced by a requirement for travellers to self-isolate at home for 10 days, irrespective of whether or not they are fully jabbed Credit: Justin Tallis/AFP via Getty Images

The travel red list and hotel quarantine are set to be scrapped under plans, to be considered by ministers on Thursday, to ease restrictions in face of the declining Covid threat from abroad.
Ministers will meet to consider removing the final seven countries from the red list. Any traveller returning from them is currently required to quarantine in a UK hotel for 10 days at a cost of £2,285 per person.
Sources said it was "almost certain" that they would lift the restrictions on Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, Haiti and the Dominican Republic. It is understood next week's Cop26 global summit on climate change in Glasgow, which delegates from the seven countries are attending, is a factor.
Ministers are also expected to consider a separate plan to scrap hotel quarantine, which even its pioneer, Australia, is abandoning in favour of vaccination as a defence against the importation of Covid.
It is expected to be replaced by a requirement for travellers to self-isolate at home for 10 days, irrespective of whether or not they are fully jabbed. This may not be announced on Thursday, and might not be enacted until the New Year.
Nearly 200,000 people returning from red list countries have been forced to quarantine in hotels since the regime was introduced at the height of the pandemic at the start of the year.
Although the red list will disappear with the removal of the seven countries, it is thought likely that ministers will keep it in reserve in the event of the emergence of new Covid variants or or a resurgence in the virus. Anyone returning from a red list country would then have to quarantine at home.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
British Airways is confirmed to resume its service from Gatwick to Punta Cana 3 times a week starting 9th December.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
British Airways is confirmed to resume its service from Gatwick to Punta Cana 3 times a week starting 9th December.
Wow nice. One question. Impossible for me as Danish with recidencia here and Sinovac vax card ? And another question not related to me. Is it true UK expats that are not vaccinated can’t travel to the UK. I would think you can always travel to your country of origin. You can always repatriate with a test right?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Do you have any info regarding the UK's acceptance of the Sinovac vaccine? I presume they will want passengers to exhibit proof of vaccination.
The last I heard, the UK wasn't accepting Sinovac or the Dominican vax card. I haven't heard any update on that.