breastfeeding in DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my thoughts exactly. even the cheapest formula is expensive because the kids eats so much of it. i hear that people cut corners: they mix less powder into the water or alternate with sugary water/tea.

all that - and the thread about kids breakfasts - makes me think how easy was it for my parents (and generally parents of my generation). you breastfed because they were no other option available. then the food was exactly what adults ate but mashed with a fork. no one read labels. dang, no labels to read, really.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
This went somewhat viral a few weeks ago. McNish is a spoken word artist and she addresses the issue quite directly. Interesting discussion in the comments below, but having that discussion here may or may not address the issue in the DR specifically.

"In towns where pennies are savored like sweets, we're now paying for one thing that's always been free"

Embarrassed || Spoken Word by Hollie McNish - YouTube

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
There is very little support or education offered to mothers in Dominican hospitals for breastfeeding in my experience. When my son was born I had to argue with the nurses to bring him to me to nurse, especially the first night. I was told that they would bottle feed him instead because it was more important for me to get a full nights sleep rather than waking me up to nurse. :( Needless to say that viewpoint went over like a lead balloon with me and the nurses all thought I was a crazy woman for wanting to wake up to feed my baby. I am very happy I had my second baby in the DR and not my first as I would have been totally lacking support from the medical establishment in DR and might not have had a successful experience breastfeeding if I had my first child in the DR instead of the States.

I nursed both my kids until they stopped wanting to nurse and I wouldn't trade the experience or health benefits for anything. My two kids that are now both teenagers have had one ear ache between the two (my son got one when he was 12) and enjoy very good health overall.

I find it sad that both women and society are losing sight of the value of breastfeeding. But I have to admit that I also dislike women who make a production out of breastfeeding and deliberately nurse so that their breasts can be seen. It takes very little effort to nurse in public in such a way that people are unaware of what you are doing. I believe in the rights of a mother to breastfeed and the right of the public to discretion on her part.

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
A friend of mine was a Peace Corps worker down in Pedernales and tried to talk with the women there about breast feeing. She said that it was the custom there to keep all the cans of baby formula for the first year and have a formal phoro taken of the baby in front of the cans stacked up behind him. She said the most of the fathers (of the women she was working with) were absent and the only money that they sent was for baby formula and diapers. Later on in life, the child would always have the photo to be able to prove that his father loved and cared for him,.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
and wow.. have you noticed the price of diapers? between that and the formula, you would think that the poor would really start breast feeding..

But I do think it is true, what CCCCC says.. they are really afraid that their teats will sag.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a barrio child would use two nappies a day (one for the day and one for the night). later on, there would be only one, especially in the summer where you will see kids running around the house in a tshirt. i have seen it in a pharmacy when mothers would come in and buy one nappy at a time. because of this many dominican kids are fast learners when it comes to potty training ;) :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
To quote you Bob, "She Had a NICE Tit".
To me, and some others here, THAT indicates MORE than a casual glance!
I look at "T & A" every chance I get!
Nothing to be ashamed, or defensive about.
Don't go all "Jimmy Carter" on us now.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I was waiting outside on the patio while my wife visited an old teacher that was on her deathbed. The housecleaner sat out there with me and breastfed her baby that was probably a year plus. She had a nice tit, I assume the other one was as wel. I assume she was poor if she was the housekeeper. I believe there are also good reasons, for the woman's health to breastfeed. Helps the body return to normal, especially down below.

Bob. You have some strange fetishes !!

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
When women opt to breast feed their kids in public places then its hardly surprising that some guys are going to actually take a look...what are they expected to do? Oh maybe their brain should be sending...
"Oh look at that devoted mother feeding her little one from the breast to give it the best start in life....what a truly natural and beautiful sight" ????????
No way do I want to be eating/drinking or any thing else and have to see breast feeding mothers....for the almightys sake why cant they feed it at home before they go out?
And NO I did not breast feed my now 6ft 4in son....and no he did not have immunity problems...and he slept all night every night from 5 weeks old....because I made sure he got the correct measure and mix of formula....and no he never ailed a thing.
Yes I can see that here it would be beneficial....cost wise for mothers to breast feed....but hey do it in a public place and someone is gonna look!

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Wow.. I was reading milex facebook page and came across this gem of a comment..

HOLA SOY ANA RAMIREZ!
EN NUESTRO PAIS EXITE UNA TRADICION QUE ES MUY IMPORTANTE PARA LA FAMILIA DOMINICANA MAYORMENTE EN LOS BARRIOS, Y ES QUE CUANDO EL BEBE CUMPLE SU PRIMER A?ITO SE LE TIRA UNA FOTO CON TODAS LAS LATAS DE LECHE QUE COSUMIO DURANTE LOS 12 MESES.
Y COMO EN MI CASO MI BEBE CUMPLIO SU PRIMER A?ITO Y LE TIRE UNA FOTO CON TODAS SUS LATAS BABY MILEX. Y YO EM MI PRIMER A?O MIS PADRES ME TIRARON MI FOTOS CON TODAS LAS LATAS DE MILEX QUE CONSUMI.
PIENSO QUE DEBERIA HABER UNA PROMOSION CON LAS LATAS DE SU PRODUCTO PORQUE ES UNA BELLA TRADICION.

If people think it's some sort of tradition to take pictures of their baby with empty milk cans.. hm, the marketing campaigns are working..

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
The US compensates for this phenomenon with WIC (Women, Infant & Childrens Nutrition Program), a program that subsidizes needy families until the child is 5 years old. WIC checks can be exchanged for formula, cereal, juice, etc. This renders breast feeding in households that would be most inclined to do so due to economy a moot issue. Middle class lethargy completes the stat sheet.

WIC has two components. and on WIC you can only get what is on the coupon - for babies, it is formula for the first six months, and then it adds on a few very baby specific things. If a woman is breastfeeding, she gets food for the whole family! Either peanut butter or beans (protein), a gallon of milk a week (calcium), etc....

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Also -
Breastfeeding as contraceptive ONLY works if it is EXCLUSIVE breastfeeding (meaning, on demand with no supplemental milk/bottles) and for the first 3-4 months, and kind of nominally up to six months. This is no longer a deal breaker for breastfeeding here, women aren't interested in breastfeeding for any purpose - let alone as contraception.

And, while it's true that birth control can slow down milk production AT FIRST, it is just as "easy" to "retrain" the milk production. Both of my kids breastfed for (way too long) at least a year, both while i was taking hormonal birth control with no problems at all. My son weighed like 32 pounds on his first birthday - all breastmilk.

I work with young pregnant girls/new moms (by young, the average age of girls in our classes is 19) and they have no idea even why they get their period or how that relates to pregnancy. our classes start with that - what is the reproductive system? how does that work and why is it important? and then of course, what happens during pregnancy, labor techniques and breastfeeding. in the beginning they all want c-sections and are looking to formula feed, but with a little knowledge they almost all try to avoid the c-section (as much as a 15 year old can in this country) and at least give breastfeeding a fair shake.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob. You have some strange fetishes !!

Explain your comment. Breast-feeding is natural and so is looking at women's breasts. How can it be a fetish when something happens in front of your eyes. Perhaps I should have looked away, but the darling women gave me a beautiful smile.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Do you really need to be told what he means by "you do the math?"
Please tell me you are not that thick.
You are creepy and weird.
Where there is smoke, there is fire.
You turned a natural thing like breastfeeding, into a sexual thing, then assumed her other breast was as nice. You must have quite the collection of National Geographic magazines, pervo!
Then, you go and post your depraved thoughts in an open forum.
I can imagine the twisted smirk on your face, when you told him you were shopping for panties for your niece.
Creeeeeeeepo!
Smarten up!

You're an idiot , especially if you believe anything Chickenman writes. Please tell me you are not that stupid. I comment that she had nice breasts- breasts are sexual parts of a woman's body and breastfeeding is as you say a natural thing. You are totally clueless, perhaps you can do a thread search and find where I was panty shopping with my wife's nieces, then you'll understand the context. Of course you're from Toronto so that makes you half clueless already.
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/li...alse&send=false&extended_social_context=false

When women opt to breast feed their kids in public places then its hardly surprising that some guys are going to actually take a look...what are they expected to do? Oh maybe their brain should be sending...
"Oh look at that devoted mother feeding her little one from the breast to give it the best start in life....what a truly natural and beautiful sight" ????????
No way do I want to be eating/drinking or any thing else and have to see breast feeding mothers....for the almightys sake why cant they feed it at home before they go out?
And NO I did not breast feed my now 6ft 4in son....and no he did not have immunity problems...and he slept all night every night from 5 weeks old....because I made sure he got the correct measure and mix of formula....and no he never ailed a thing.
Yes I can see that here it would be beneficial....cost wise for mothers to breast feed....but hey do it in a public place and someone is gonna look!

You have to be kidding Opt to breast feed in public?! If the kid needs to eat it needs to eat and who in their right mind would give formula when they know breast feeding is better.

I don't get people who Sexualize breast feeding at all, i find it really repulsive and creepy for sure!
any decent person does not stare at the breast in lust?! Who does that!! GROSS!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not look at them titties of breastfeeding mamas. i show some respect for other human beings, unlike those flipping low hanging, swollen mammaries for everyone to see. yeah, i get it you a mother now. hardly an achievement. try being a woman here and protect your privacy. i get it's a natural act, so is diggin' in your noggin. also not a great event to observe. natural does not mean that it should be done in public.