breastfeeding in DR

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I know a young mother on the south coast who is looking for a breast pump, which I found encouraging. I don't want to hijack, but if anyone knows of where to purchase one rather than ship via ebay...please let me know by PM. She is willing to spend the money for a better one as well, and would like to buy new.

My late aunt was diametrically opposed to breastfeeding. Her two reasons were that it was too sexual, and that women should be working as soon as possible after the child is born. I could never understand her logic on the sexual nature, but "In this country of billboards covered in t*ts", explains some of it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The smile was probably an uncomfortable fake smile, in hope you would stop drooling and mind your own business.
Remember, you posted to the entire forum, that her other other breast was probably just as nice.
Who does that?
Peeeeeeeeervooooo!

Tonto from Toronto, apt name. I guess you would have had to be there. The smile was certainly not fake, and I wasn't staring or drooling.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You have to be kidding Opt to breast feed in public?! If the kid needs to eat it needs to eat and who in their right mind would give formula when they know breast feeding is better.

I don't get people who Sexualize breast feeding at all, i find it really repulsive and creepy for sure!
any decent person does not stare at the breast in lust?! Who does that!! GROSS!!

You like guys, so...................... Many find strange behavior.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So, you call me an idiot, huh, wonder of you will receive an infraction, or be banned for this, like others are ....
Your comment was creepy and inappropriate.
Also, your dig at being a Torontonian is lame too. Bunch of clueless people live in one of the best cities on the planet. Too bad you can't afford to live in such a great city. Keep driving that 13.5 year old jeepeta! Living it it up huh?
Pathetic!

I lived in Toronto so I know of what I speak (university district). I could afford to retire to the DR at age 55.
2007 Hyundai Santa Fe- perfect for the DR. New Jeepeta makes you a target in the DR.

You call someone a pervert and a creep then get upset when they call you an idiot!
As far as breast-feeding in the DR I believe LaTeacher summed it up best. Lack of knowledge.
http://www.childinfo.org/breastfeeding_dr.html

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You like guys, so...................... Many find strange behavior.

My apologies if I was incorrect in my assessment of you. Who was starring in lust. Perhaps you should read less into a comment. Chickenman , Tonto, and you as well seem to think it's strange to observe whether a breast is nicely shaped.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I know a young mother on the south coast who is looking for a breast pump, which I found encouraging. I don't want to hijack, but if anyone knows of where to purchase one rather than ship via ebay...please let me know by PM. She is willing to spend the money for a better one as well, and would like to buy new.

we are looking for that as well. not to discourage you but they cost about 200 dollars. a manual pump should be tried first, apparently. also, do not buy until the baby is born and all is well, that is mother has enough milk and the kid can eat it (no allergies and stuff). i think liga de la leche in SD has those.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Breastfeeding would require the mom to be around the baby 24/7 and we all know a lot of the women have the kids and drop them off with grandma or anyone so they can continue doing their thing.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It is interesting because in the last couple of months, I have been in groups where there was a breast feeding Dominican mother.. and, unlike in the States, where the custom is to withdraw from a group, or at least make sure that both your breast and the baby are quite covered with a blanket, here... it was more like a titty show.. which was hard to avoid and became rather the object of everyone's attention. Hard not to watch, Well, guess that goes with the general showing of cleavage here.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
La Leche League in Santo Domingo sells pumps. But you can get them on Amazon - Medela is an excellent brand, a little pricy, but well worth it. Also, Avent has excellent re-chargeable pumps that connect right to Avent bottles. You can get a decent one for about 100 dollars. The hospital quality pumps are far more expensive and a little excessive for a mom at home.

DV8 - the hand pumps are a pain in the butt. And it's not necessary to hand pump before using an electric pump. But, the hand pumps are good for women who are only using it for say, the babysitter who comes on friday nights ;) FOr a working mom, it would be a waste to have them use a hand-pump. What you can get from an electric pump in 20 minutes is three times the amount you'd get from a hand pump (and without the hand cramps!)

Also, it's a common misbelief that you need to wait to see if the "milk comes in" - most women have the capacity to make milk, but don't have knowledge of their bodies. First of all, the most important milk is the colostrum which is what they have the first two-three days (before milk "comes in"). Here the doctors and nurses tell you that that isn't important, and you can wait to BF. BIG MISTAKE! The more the breast is stimulated (for milk making purposes), the more milk can be produced. Just like, the more a baby latches on and feeds, the more milk mom will produce. If she stops breastfeeding, the lack of stimulation cuases the milk production to slow down.

A woman does NOT need to be around 24/7 to breastfeed. I worked and breastfed, and many women do.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
lateacher, i appreciate your advice and opinion. thanks for all the helpful tips in your post. the hand pump part was what i read online when i was researching those damn tittay pumps. my SIL will stay at home for at least the first month, there is no rush. we will see if things go well. sometimes a mother is sick, cannot feed to start from and then milk production slows down, that's what i meant pondering on SIL's capacity to breastfeed. all things can happen. we have plenty of time to make a purchase.

madela and avent, you say? we will check those in poland as well.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
One of my daughters friends had a baby and she was over this summer with her son who is now 4 months old. We were outside and it was supper time for baby. She had a new cover up which I've never seen before which looks like this. She can see the baby from the top opening but boobs and the baby are covered.

Hooter Hider - Ella Bella Maternity Boutique

They didn't have fancy stuff like that back in my day. When we were at the beach I would put a towel over my head making a tent for me and baby. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you don't say... when my brother was born my mom was very sick. it was a difficult birth. she had high fever. she could not breastfeed the baby like that. my dad had to suck the milk and spit it out. 40 years ago, communist country. welcome to maternal hell.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
you don't say... when my brother was born my mom was very sick. it was a difficult birth. she had high fever. she could not breastfeed the baby like that. my dad had to suck the milk and spit it out. 40 years ago, communist country. welcome to maternal hell.

OMG. wow.
maternal hell, i'm sure, but your dad was willing to do that? wow.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ha ha, this is why when you ask my mother about the miracle of birth and the beauty of motherhood she starts with: children destroy the marriage and life ;) my mom loves us and always did, i have no doubt. but she is down to earth realist who think birth ain't no miracle and a dog or a cat does it all the same, plus it hurts like hell. and motherhood ain't beautiful either as it is filled with pee, poo and other bodily fluids, in large quantities :) :) :)
my mom totally rocks :)

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I BF both my kids and to establish a good supply and a good bf relationship, I had to feed on demand for the first few months and be around 24/7.

dv8, if your SIL works, she needs an electric pump. I had a Medela which was great, but I still could not pump enough during the day to keep up with their appetite. I had to start supplementing with formula during the day. Not everyone will be the same, my friend could pump 8oz out of each breast at every pumping and she had enough milk to feed her kid and donate to a milk bank, but most working moms I know ended up supplementing or going with formula.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
My mom used to tell the story of how they bound up her breasts in the hospital to dry up her milk. This was in the heydey of Dr Spock (no, not that one, the other one) who had decreed that bottle feeding was better and so, even though she was intending to breast feed, her doctor said no way. She siad it was the most painful thing she had experienced.. My brother and I were cesarians.. so.. Anyway, that is when all the bottle feeding came in.. post WW2, when Nestle, which has 50% of the market, started making formula. They were taken to the World Court over it and have been under international boycott for years. Nestl? boycott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They were eventually found not guilty at the World Court but the word on the street was that they were being held responsible for the deaths of more than 40k infants in one African country.. and that after the court case.. they clased up operations there and moved on to the next.

this was a huge scandal in the States in the 70s.

And, of course, I made myself really popular here at the first meeting of the international women's club when I met some wives of Nestle and said something along the lines of "so how is that baby formula stuff working out for you now?".. ok,, well I am learning now how to get along better with those folks.. they did not make the system, and they do make good chocolate.. but they also think that all water should be privatized.. and I certainly disagree with that.

But that, at least, is the background on how women STOPPED breastfeeding, which is a totally normal and obviously efficient and cost effective system... design.