Bring tv on a luggage

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I'm going to D.R in Jan 2nd, through Jetblue, I have a 32inch tv that I want to take with me and put it in the luggage. I don't know if once I arrive they will check my luggage. I was going to send it through a shipping company but they are charging me $175. I also wanted to put it in the tank and send it through the shipping company but I really don't know what to do. Please help. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I have done it but it is getting tougher in the DR to bring things in. If you put it in a piece of luggage take it out of the box and wrap it well with bubble wrap.

jpjoejoepink

Nov 16, 2015
I have done it but it is getting tougher in the DR to bring things in. If you put it in a piece of luggage take it out of the box and wrap it well with bubble wrap.
Yes, that's what I'm planning to do. Just wrap real good and them on top add pieces of clothing. The times I've gone, they don't check me but you never know. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

kamili

Nov 17, 2015
The tourist card is now is valid for 60 days instead of 30 days, you pay nothing.
For longer stay over 61 to 90 days : 2,500;
3 to 9 months:4,000
9 t0 12 months : 5,000...etc...
I wonder how is that going to affect the tourism economy. A snowbird would spent at least a minimum of US$100 on food n drink! If we cut our stay short .... ?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Have brought in tvs in luggage a few times. 32 in. fits very well. I agree - best to be in the middle of a big crowd coming out after you get your bags.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
well, visiting and not having DR status can impact your life - depending on how much time you spend here.

Things like driving on a foreign licence, getting health care.... there's quite a list

Casual visitors feel it little but if you decide to be a longer staying visitor, the rules are tightening.

There are huge posts on this.

At the risk of being inflammatory, we are having this discussion on the newly invisible Residents' Forum.
Something that should be available to all... people like you.

I feel.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Any comments about the new overstay fees? RD$4,000+ for us snowbirds to pay... :speechles

Some of us are very very happy to pay that because we've had huge discussions and feared it might be worse like if we didn't get residency we would not be allowed to return next year. It was all speculations from some members as to how the law was going to change. So again I have no problem with it even if I stayed 6 months

BTW the fees over 60 days are not new. The bonus was changing 30 days to 60... Did I mention very happy. :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Some of us are very very happy to pay that because we've had huge discussions and feared it might be worse like if we didn't get residency we would not be allowed to return next year. It was all speculations from some members as to how the law was going to change. So again I have no problem with it even if I stayed 6 months

BTW the fees over 60 days are not new. The bonus was changing 30 days to 60... Did I mention very happy. :)

I agree. I will blissfully pay my 4000 pesos when I leave after 4 months. Of course, in my case I don't have the driving issue because Mr. AE is Dominican - that is a serious problem for others who do want to drive the whole time they're there.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I agree. I will blissfully pay my 4000 pesos when I leave after 4 months. Of course, in my case I don't have the driving issue because Mr. AE is Dominican - that is a serious problem for others who do want to drive the whole time they're there.

Everyone talks about this driving issue, but I have never seen or heard anyone having any problem of any kind while driving with a foreign license with a tourist visa.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Everyone talks about this driving issue, but I have never seen or heard anyone having any problem of any kind while driving with a foreign license with a tourist visa.

A few DR1ers have posted about being stopped and asked for their passport to confirm how long they've been in the country.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A few DR1ers have posted about being stopped and asked for their passport to confirm how long they've been in the country.

To me that is not a problem. Police looking for a Propina is what that is.

kamili

Nov 17, 2015

Couple years ago, my stay in DR was 7 months and my overstay fee was DR$1200. But this time now I'll be staying probably until May and my overstay fee will be ... NOT VERY HAPPY!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Whether you're bringing in an undeclared TV or overstaying the 60 day tourist card.....
understand that you need to be prepared for any consequences that may arise as a result of your actions.

both acts are just outside the law.

As I read all these posts/threads - there are always several - I can just see someone sliding through and thinking
'Hmmm, that wasn't so bad..... no real rules here, I guess'

There are rules and they can be fiercely lopsided - see the Oregon couple's thread
Punishment can be harsh.... small things can attract big penalties.

As I used to teach my children.......
Don't lie, because one lie inevitably triggers another to cover off the first one.
Before you know it, the truth is gone and the lies will confuse you and consume you....

Those of us who not just 'passing through' appear to be diligent in obeying customs & laws -- appear to be and some actually are.

I would err on the side of caution - if it was me.

just saying............

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Excellent post, William. You make a good point and have me reevaluating my "hold my breath" approach to bringing a toaster oven into the country. Signed, 2x4. Haha!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We have all skirted the system....

I come from a small town and my family has been there for years........
The odd time, when younger , I got myself in a fix....
sometimes I slid out, sometimes I was in court.... embarrassing my family

But to do so in Toronto or better yet , a foreign country....
when you're out on the end of gangplank.... with sharks circling below

You gotta know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em......... thank you , Kenny

And Lumber man, that toaster oven will be less than $200 US, right?
you be clean !!!!

Nothing to worry about..........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Many years ago, our old friend Cobra Boy, long gone but not forgotten, commented on the issue -

He said that things you initially found appealing about RD when visiting were the same things that came to irritate you after living here.

e.g. Driving around having a beer becomes 'there are too many drunks on the road'

Generally,
the visitor enjoys the lack of infrastructure.....
the resident laments the lack of it