British woman skips bail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2005
It is half of what the courts evidently asked for last year, here is the link to one of the many already closed threads on the subject http://dr1.com/forums/north-coast/135483-theres-storm-brewin-21.html

I am glad she is home, really, as she kept being reported as very sick and the prison food is just horrible. But I am sorry that none of the reporters bothered to have any sort of balanced story about the DR. And I do think that it was good that she was in jail.. ok, sentanced to 12, served 2, fine of 125k plus large amount to victim's family.

seems like some sort of justice to me

better than having her health deteriorate in jail,

So you worry more about the deterioration of a murderer's health? That prison food is horrible? I thought prison is suppose to be a deterrent.

In any event, the payoffs of police and officials is fair game for everyone. But she's still a murderer.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
So you worry more about the deterioration of a murderer's health? That prison food is horrible? I thought prison is suppose to be a deterrent.

In any event, the payoffs of police and officials is fair game for everyone. But she's still a murderer.

No, it was involuntary manslaughter. She was drunk at the time, right? As in drunk driving. But the message that the world was getting was not that she was a drunk driver but that the Domnican prisons were hell holes, full of parasites with inadequate health care. I know that the model prisons have doctors and nurses right there, that patients' are seen as needed. But it may be true that she had to pay for medicines. And it is true that the food is terrible.

Her family evidently had a good "spin" machine back in the UK and this was really bad publicity.

I just do not see that anything was gained from keeping her longer. Many could argue that 2 years in a DR prison is comparable to 5 years in the US or Canada or the UK..

Vehicular homicide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
she is appealing.. so she says.. So it would be said, in the States, at least. realeased on bail pending an appeal.

MA, I read the article that you posted(#67) where it says she's appealing but the date is
Feb 7th 2014, that is an old article.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
IMHO I think when she got back to the UK she should have just kept below the radar and try and get back to some kind of a normal life, innocent or not!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
IMHO I think when she got back to the UK she should have just kept below the radar and try and get back to some kind of a normal life, innocent or not!

yes, but I think she is one of these "has no shame" types and wants to keep up the publicity for her upcoming book.. to pay back her folks for some of the money that they lost.. And expose the REAL Dominican Republic.. which appears after your 63rd rum has softened your brain.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Drink and Kill

No, it was involuntary manslaughter. She was drunk at the time, right? As in drunk driving.

Whatever.
I always have a problem with drivers getting lenient sentences.

Somebody runs over your child. Bad, isn't it?
Some drunk guy runs over your child; not so bad? :tired:

donP

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
She and/or family bought her way out. Not very different then other "criminals" with the financial means. Is it wrong, of course but that is the way the legal system works here for those who can afford it. This "deal" I am sure was in the works for awhile. There will be various versions but the fact is her freedom was bought. It is sad for the victims family I am sure but they are quite aware of how the legal system works in their country. It is not an excuse by no means again just the simple truth.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
She and/or family bought her way out. Not very different then other "criminals" with the financial means. Is it wrong, of course but that is the way the legal system works here for those who can afford it. This "deal" I am sure was in the works for awhile. There will be various versions but the fact is her freedom was bought. It is sad for the victims family I am sure but they are quite aware of how the legal system works in their country. It is not an excuse by no means again just the simple truth.

It was said in one report that the victim's family got $248k US so perhaps not so sad for them. That is a whole lot more than they would have gotten in the US system unless they brought a seperate civil suit for wrongful death.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This would make a great DR film, has so many elements that are covered on DR1.
Sankies, clueless foreigners, corrupt legal system etc etc etc...

Time to close this, as this part of the saga has come to an end.
I'm curious to see if we see any action taken against the DR side of the cast, doubtful.

Watch this space...

Status
Not open for further replies.