Building a House in DR

lacyla123

Oct 19, 2016
Hi all
As construction costs are going up, I wanted to check in with you guys as to whether I have been over quoted.
I'm looking to build a 2 bed house on my land, approx 60m2. A good quality build inclusive of all apart from iron bars, electrical appliances and furniture.
I was quoted $630 US dollars per sqm (2,200,000 pesos). Another company estimated 3,000,000 pesos.
Any tips from those with existing experience? Both reputable companies, but I'm mindful that projects can go 20% over budget, and with material building costs constantly changing, I'm after some advice as to what can be expected, and things to look out for etc.
Thanks in advance

campesinadeatl

Aug 13, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Just some general things, I’m sure even more knowledgeable and qualified people will chime in.

Prices are significantly up. Builders are going to pass on those prices of course.

Where are you building? Building for example in Punta Cana will likely run a good deal more than in a campo in the middle of nowhere.

Who quoted you? A full company is going to likely charge more due to the cost of running a business, as opposed to say a maestro subcontracting. There are pros and cons to each and you have to decide what is best for you.

Highly recommend you have eyes on your site to ensure you don’t contribute to someone else’s construction with your materials/money.

Last point I have, you already mentioned, project is incredibly likely to go over budget/schedule. It’s island time, so lower your expectations for anything on time.

Good luck and hope you enjoy the casa!

Reactions: lacyla123

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Just some general things, I’m sure even more knowledgeable and qualified people will chime in.

Prices are significantly up. Builders are going to pass on those prices of course.

Where are you building? Building for example in Punta Cana will likely run a good deal more than in a campo in the middle of nowhere.

Who quoted you? A full company is going to likely charge more due to the cost of running a business, as opposed to say a maestro subcontracting. There are pros and cons to each and you have to decide what is best for you.

Highly recommend you have eyes on your site to ensure you don’t contribute to someone else’s construction with your materials/money.

Last point I have, you already mentioned, project is incredibly likely to go over budget/schedule. It’s island time, so lower your expectations for anything on time.

Good luck and hope you enjoy the casa!
YOu neeed to be there through out as per this. Dominicans do it cause they know Highly recommend you have eyes on your site to ensure you don’t contribute to someone else’s construction with your materials/money.
There was a house near us a few yeaars ago where the contractor sold half the rebar. Fell down when finished.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Agreed you absolutely must be there every day to check on the work. Do not overlook this important requirement.

As far as current costs, I have no idea, so others can provide better input on that.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Price depends on a lot of variables. Go look at the last three houses they built. Are the walls nice and smooth, or are there more waves than the ocean? How much rebar is in the walls and roof? Did they form some columns on the corners and around windows? Are windows and doors included in the price? If so, are they the cheapest ones, or storm resistant? Do they include the screens? Screens can add 30% onto quality windows because you need a larger three rail track. Is a nice kitchen included, or will you have concrete counter tops with cheap wood cabinets that will fall apart in the humidity? Does it include a sealing paint on the roof and paint on the rest of the house? Paint is not cheap anymore. (some paint is cheap, and it is like water) Is the builder including the price of tile on the floor, or a painted concrete floor? Cheap tiles, or can you pick out a nice one? A good 200 amp service coming into the house and plumbing with an expansion tank, or is the builder assuming you will have flashlights and bring water into the house in buckets? A tinaca on the roof, or will you wait for the water to come back on next week? Same with electric. You need to plan for space for batteries and inverter, or wait til tomorrow for the power to come on. Will they put conduit in the walls for the wire, or will you need to cut the walls open when you melt the wires?

lacyla123

Oct 19, 2016
Price depends on a lot of variables. Go look at the last three houses they built. Are the walls nice and smooth, or are there more waves than the ocean? How much rebar is in the walls and roof? Did they form some columns on the corners and around windows? Are windows and doors included in the price? If so, are they the cheapest ones, or storm resistant? Do they include the screens? Screens can add 30% onto quality windows because you need a larger three rail track. Is a nice kitchen included, or will you have concrete counter tops with cheap wood cabinets that will fall apart in the humidity? Does it include a sealing paint on the roof and paint on the rest of the house? Paint is not cheap anymore. (some paint is cheap, and it is like water) Is the builder including the price of tile on the floor, or a painted concrete floor? Cheap tiles, or can you pick out a nice one? A good 200 amp service coming into the house and plumbing with an expansion tank, or is the builder assuming you will have flashlights and bring water into the house in buckets? A tinaca on the roof, or will you wait for the water to come back on next week? Same with electric. You need to plan for space for batteries and inverter, or wait til tomorrow for the power to come on. Will they put conduit in the walls for the wire, or will you need to cut the walls open when you melt the wires?
Great advice, there were some things I hadn't thought of in what you wrote, so thank you for taking the time to write!

Reactions: LuzMaria