Business is slooow

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Part Two? About 10... 12 years ago?

When the peso hit 55! Sosua still had some things going for it but that quickly changed. Perhaps some that where here can add on.

A 5 peso cup of coffee hit 35 and up.
A beer went from 20 to 50.
Restaurant menus blacked out D.P. prices and wrote in U.S. prices.
Hotels closed.
Motoconcho ride ... went from 10 to 35 for the same ride. Fuel prices went up also.
Nice dinner for two. 500 to 1500.

This is about the time that Sosua changed and the sex tourist business began. The Internet was still fairly new and cable TV and cell phones were introduced. The Dominican Republic became a whole new place.... and not for the better IMO.

This is when internet sights started popping up and they where not from Dominicans.

A hole in the economy had formed and some found a way to fill it. And it continued and more family business's closes due to the change of the clients demands. Prostitution and more drugs flowed in. Some business owners saw this and capitalized on the DP and all the sudden had a "work force" and could up prices for a cup of coffee.

The peso dropped but the prices for goods did not and the sex trade in Sosua was off and running and has done so for about 8 years and then drug trade also entered. Keep in mind that the costs for "services" that those having these wonderful business has gone up 2000%. WHAT? Why do you think so many bars have changed hands? Get it?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Dark Scorpion:

On how good it is to have a dollar income (how often an you say that in one post?): that's relative. You only have some months here, but you'll learn by time that prices go up surprisingly fast, people with pesos income will be worse off (until the next pay raise that coincidently was 14% in 2 years, which is also about the depreciation of the peso in those 2 years), but us with forex income are basically just the same. Our supermarket shopping has gone up by at least the increase in converted pesos. Labour becomes cheaper every day, but as I said, only until the next pay raise. For me a dollar income is a must, not a cash cow, you need dollars to stay the same.

On the Kondratieff cycles, I think we are up to a whole lot more than just a conjuncture of various cycles ( which creates big recessions and depressions), the whole monetary system might collapse, like happened several times in history but way further back than the 30's of the 20st century. I don't think you can get enough gold or silver to be prepared for that. But even if I could I wouldn't. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theory believer but the urgent economical situation and the current political and governmental movements, the limitations of privacy for civilians, the control governments are having and increasing over their citizens paints a much grimmer picture of what's coming.

I wouldn't be surprised if we are going towards big brother kinds of governments or government and I even wonder if this whole crisis that was actually conceived decades ago, when leaving the gold standard, is designed (ok, I admit I'm wearing a tin foil hat now).

Finally, I don't worry about it. The bible is clear that there will be an end to the world governments, it might just be we are living the beginning of the end of times.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Dark Scorpion:

Finally, I don't worry about it. The bible is clear that there will be an end to the world governments, it might just be we are living the beginning of the end of times.

The first day some 13.77 billion years ago was the beginning of the end of times. There is no way a book of fiction like the bible could get it wrong by stating there would be an end. Eventually there will be an end for humans on earth either when our sun exhausts its energy or we cease to exist for a multitude of other possible ends that could come earlier.

As for an upcoming world financial crisis within the next 10 or 20 years, it seems likely.

When the dollar gains against the peso, as Ringo pointed out, the prices ratchet upward while those with dollars can take advantage of a temporary reduction in the cost of living. When the pesos stabilizes or gains back some value, the prices do not go down a corresponding amount.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The first day some 13.77 billion years ago was the beginning of the end of times. There is no way a book of fiction like the bible could get it wrong by stating there would be an end. Eventually there will be an end for humans on earth either when our sun exhausts its energy or we cease to exist for a multitude of other possible ends that could come earlier.

That's what you choose to believe, I believe otherwise.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

As for an upcoming world financial crisis within the next 10 or 20 years, it seems likely.

When the dollar gains against the peso, as Ringo pointed out, the prices ratchet upward while those with dollars can take advantage of a temporary reduction in the cost of living. When the pesos stabilizes or gains back some value, the prices do not go down a corresponding amount.

lol W.G. Gonna be fun watching so many when their bottle of beer hits 150.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's what you choose to believe, I believe otherwise.

I really don't have beliefs in the sense that you do. If the theories change as science identifies new information, I can accept that. But can any of us accept 150 pesos for a small beer?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
can we leave bible out of this? last time i read into the book of leviticus it had no mention of presidente prices...

yeah, business is slow. i watch POP streets and i see more and more desperation. there is some sort of a micro business on every corner: selling hotdogs, eggs, cocaine, ass, you name it. and i see more civil unrest as well: police kills delinquents and then criminals hunt the policemen. on and on it goes.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Economic downturn, and folks start heading for the bomb shelters in the hills. Geez.

While it's true that every day brings us a wee bit closer to the end of the world, I wouldn't start worrying for at least another billion years or so.

Let me help assuage your concerns. If there was a limited nuclear exchange of, say, 100 mid-yield warheads occurring anywhere in the world in a relatively short period (say 24-96 hours), it would have a catastrophic effect on the planet. Earth would become most unpleasant, and downright toxic in more than a few places. That's not exactly a state secret.

So, buying gold and silver, paracord and plenty of dried food may make you feel better, but it won't make that much of a difference. Best to spend your money on anti-radiation pills, some NBC protective gear, and therapy to help overcome paranoia.

tao112

Jul 6, 2011
Too Many doomsday preppers on this forum ...theres nothing really major, to really worry about in this country..(a little spike in crime is not the end of the World).just because the economy is a little thight for some now a days. is really not a Big issue. One Can't really expect that the economy will be growing 4-7 % every year.

Economy will eventually Pick up again, (as it allways does through history) just look at how more and more tourist visit us on this beautiful Island every year.

So my advice this sunday, for all you people who worry too much about the economy and nuclear wars is go with your family and loved ones to the beach and enjoy a Nice ICE cold presidente,
sit back relax and chill out because life is really short and times fly by fast...

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012

You and Mauricio and talking about things that are irrelevant to me. I don't really care where humans will be billions of years from now nor do I care about the "end times" Mauricio speaks of. My family is Christian and they believe that stupid crap to and they're all broke as a joke so as far as am I'm concerned their beliefs are useless. All I know is if you had invested in silver and gold back in 2001 you would have tripled or quadrupled your investment by now even with the recent price decline. I'm all about becoming rich and passing down my genes so I don't care about anything that doesn't entail that.

As long as you're holding/making money in dollars while living in the DR you will be ahead of the locals, period. When I lived in the USA I structured my businesses in such a way where I got paid in Euros and I loved it because I played the Euro against the dollar. It is a wise strategy and works very well. I would only become an expat in a country where I get a favorable exchange, the cost/standard of living here for me is way better than what I would get in the USA and that is one of the reasons I live here. If Europeans are smart they would come to the USA, take advantage of the dollar's weakness against the Euro, and use their Euros to buy up real assets in the USA like homes, businesses, land, etc. All paper currencies are worthless but you can play one against the other and use the gains to acquire real assets.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Economic downturn, and folks start heading for the bomb shelters in the hills. Geez.

While it's true that every day brings us a wee bit closer to the end of the world, I wouldn't start worrying for at least another billion years or so.

Let me help assuage your concerns. If there was a limited nuclear exchange of, say, 100 mid-yield warheads occurring anywhere in the world in a relatively short period (say 24-96 hours), it would have a catastrophic effect on the planet. Earth would become most unpleasant, and downright toxic in more than a few places. That's not exactly a state secret.

So, buying gold and silver, paracord and plenty of dried food may make you feel better, but it won't make that much of a difference. Best to spend your money on anti-radiation pills, some NBC protective gear, and therapy to help overcome paranoia.

What do you think a nuclear exchange between Russia, China or the USA would do to the price of gold? If you knew anything about gold you'd know the answer, clearly you do not. Gold is panic money. People buy it when there is uncertainty and fear, and you're going to see a lot of that in the coming years. If nuclear weapons are used expect gold to climb to at least $3,000 an ounce within a matter of days(possibly hours). If the USA is hit by a nuke expect the price of gold to climb to $5,000 an ounce(within hours). Expect the dollar to fall through the floor right along with the stock market. Now, if you've got any sense about you then you can take advantage of that to become rich.

Look, believe what you want man. The Chinese are buying gold like no tomorrow, they know more than you or I do. The Germans are trying to get their gold from the USA. Gold is in huge demand in India. When gold and silver finally goes supernova I will be sure to start a thread here on DR1 to brag and gloat since I own the stuff. When the American stock market bottoms out I will be sure to buy up stock in all the top companies for pennies then sit back and chill. Regarding the nuclear exchange, common sense says when nukes are fired you don't want to be in one of the countries most likely to get hit. Which country is at greatest risk of a direct nuke strike, USA or DR? Come on this is kindergarten stuff.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
A nuke may hit the USA or Russia, but which country is more likely to be hit by
an earthquake if not the DR? If anybody is trying to run away from disasters,
it's futile, it follows, in one way or another and you can lose everything.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
On the Kondratieff cycles, I think we are up to a whole lot more than just a conjuncture of various cycles ( which creates big recessions and depressions), the whole monetary system might collapse, like happened several times in history but way further back than the 30's of the 20st century. I don't think you can get enough gold or silver to be prepared for that. But even if I could I wouldn't.

Mauricio, let me ask you a hypothetical question. If you believed someone was about to shoot you in the chest, and you had the choice of donning a ballistic vest prior to getting shot, would wear it? That is the best analogy for describing gold and silver. I'd rather have the vest than not have one at all, it may not work but it increases my chances of survival. In the investment world they say put 10% of your money and gold and hope it doesn't work.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
... steps into fallout bunker... o wait, dont have one, peoples just crazy...

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Very good idea to collect gold and silver but have you ever tried to buy food with a gold bar ??? Or medical supply ??

Ackward...

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
A nuke may hit the USA or Russia, but which country is more likely to be hit by
an earthquake if not the DR? If anybody is trying to run away from disasters,
it's futile, it follows, in one way or another and you can lose everything.

I don't know about Russia, but there are numerous places in the USA that are prime targets for Earthquakes. One of the most notorious is the fault line near the San Francisco Bay Area. Scientists say it is not a matter of if the big one is coming, but when. If any of you live in the bay area or have friends or family there you guys are nuts. A quake could certainly strike in the DR. The country has already had a few tremors since I moved here. You could also get into an accident just riding around on a motoconcho. But here is how I see the world Bronzeallspice.......

I think like a soldier on a battlefield. A soldier does what he can to increase his survivability. He does this by performing actionswhich reduce the chances of him being injured or killed. Now, nothing he does guarantees that he won't be injured or killed, but performing various tactics(like using cover and concealment) REDUCES the chances of him being injured of killed. It is impossible to avoid every danger life brings, but you can REDUCE the chances of being a victim by making good decisions. A nuclear weapon exploding in the USA isn't the greatest danger America faces. The greater danger is the political and social fall out that results from the attack. More Americans will die from starvation as a result of the nuke going off rather than the physical blast itself. Most urbanites don't grown their own food, they are packed into huge compact cities. The social order will break down and this is where a nuclear attack becomes a problem. I'd much rather be down in the DR than up there in the USA when it happens. Will the DR be affected? Yes, but only indirectly.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Mr. Scorpion you definitely are one coockoo mother effer. I wouldnt mind having a couple beers with you sometime. LOL :)