Buy a car or rent a car for 6 month visit

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Its the re-hashing that gets me..... this topic has been excellently covered before..... as I said, to the point it prompted me to get licensed in RD.

Getting licensed is not all that hard (using the VIP treatment in POP:cheeky:)

The risk of NOT being licensed is too high to disregard.

I admit, I have never seen a definitive statement saying "Yes, I was denied my insurance claim because i had a foreign license".

Maybe somebody can speak up.... altho that may be hard if they are in jail for not having a DR license;)

WW

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Its the re-hashing that gets me..... this topic has been excellently covered before..... as I said,

Yes, said enough times for everyone on this thread to know it has been covered before, and for you to see that some of us missed it or are not as glued to the monitor as people may think.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Oop! :cheeky: My bad.

The rest remains accurate.
If read the Dominican rules will see that it is a BAD practice when a notary sign
a car title when both the seller and the buyers are not present.
It is considered illegal and this document should be null any time....

JJ

Jan 17, 2009
The validity of the tourist visa has changed several times over since 2006. The 30 days is now clear from the overstay fees, which start after 30 days. In the past, I had paid overstay fees after 60 days, 30 days and even 15 days.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
30-60-90???

The validity of the tourist visa has changed several times over since 2006. The 30 days is now clear from the overstay fees, which start after 30 days. In the past, I had paid overstay fees after 90 days, 60 days, 30 days and even 15 days.

Perhaps someone who really cares can post this question in the legal section?

Meanwhile, I think I'll stick with Paradise Trans. et al to handle my driving while I sip a fria!

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Ever changing adapting world

Meanwhile, I think I'll stick with Paradise Trans. et al to handle my driving while I sip a fria!

Tambo don't forget to pick me up.......and could you bring your friends sister?........:cheeky::cheeky:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Like many things Dominican...... conflicting statements.

Remember the bank account issue.....
Need a cedula to open a bank account
Need a bank account to apply for cedula

Go Figure ???

WW

Whats conflicting about that? Apparently the DR government allows (some one should check with the official DR department about maybe available extensions) USA citizens to have a tourist visa for up to 60 day's and European citizens up till 90 day's. Have to be more complete, Belgians get a visa for 30 day's and then can apply for an extension of that visa in the DR, so its not standard 90 day's included in the original you have to buy by first entry.

Jan 17, 2009

I'm quite convinced it is quite clear that it is now 30 days and it's been so for at least 2 years. I go out every 3 months or so, and have paid every single time for overstay (as I said, over 30 days now). Just take a peak at the charges for overstaying in Extranjeria (you can easily infer that it is 30 days if you have to pay after that):

B - IMPUESTOS POR ESTADIA PARA RESIDENCIA PROVISIONAL O TARJETA DE TURISTA Direccion General de Migracion

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Conflicting info

I'm quite convinced it is quite clear that it is now 30 days and it's been so for at least 2 years. I go out every 3 months or so, and have paid every single time for overstay (as I said, over 30 days now). Just take a peak at the charges for overstaying in Extranjeria (you can easily infer that it is 30 days if you have to pay after that):

B - IMPUESTOS POR ESTADIA PARA RESIDENCIA PROVISIONAL O TARJETA DE TURISTA Direccion General de Migracion

Not really important for me..(curious..after the STEP BACK COMMENT)...Tambo...hahaha...so the USA gubmint site is wrong??.....not that THAT would be a revelation.....we gotta get this right......:cheeky:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If read the Dominican rules will see that it is a BAD practice when a notary sign
a car title when both the seller and the buyers are not present.
It is considered illegal and this document should be null any time....

JJ

You need to sign infront of the notary, the contract and matricular as far as I'm aware. That's what I was told by the lawyer that made up the contract of sale when I sold my jeep.

As the seller, the sales contract is your legal proof that you have actually sold the vehicle in the event the new owner has an accident before the matricula has been transferred. In the DR, who's ever name is on the matricula, is the responsible party.

Also, the buyer has 6 months to pay the transfer tax, or they will start to incur fines.