Buy a car or rent a car for 6 month visit

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OK, so now we're planning on a six month visit and intend to rent accomodation - a month here, a month there, and so on - to get a sense of the country and where we might choose to live permanently. Thanks for everyone's advice on that.

Now, I'd like to find out what you all have to say about a car. We love to explore, and intend to spend lots of time driving so we definitely will need to have a car (not a moto, no taxis, no buses).

It seems to make sense to buy a car and either keep it if we decide that the DR is right for us or sell it at the end of 6 months. But I would love to hear whether this is a good idea or a bad one.

I do understand that vehicles are about 35% more expensive in the DR than in the US. I'm wondering about resale - easy or hard? Or is the whole idea stupid?

Is it possible to rent/lease a car for a six month period for a reasonable amount?

Thanks to you all! This is a great source of information and I sure appreciate all of you who reply to these posts.

So, Janny............ has anybody helped you yet with your decision ?(post #1)

WW

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Not really important for me..(curious..after the STEP BACK COMMENT)...Tambo...hahaha...so the USA gubmint site is wrong??.....not that THAT would be a revelation.....we gotta get this right......:cheeky:

It is not up to the U.S. Gubmint, it is a Dominican issue, ask your question on the legal forum, and you will receive a legal opinion from Sr Guzman.

AFAIK, it is 30 days, since they impose a tarifa after 30 days, can a tourist card/Visa be extended to 60 or 90 is the question, granting you legal vehicular insurance coverage???

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
You need to sign infront of the notary, the contract and matricular as far as I'm aware. That's what I was told by the lawyer that made up the contract of sale when I sold my jeep.

As the seller, the sales contract is your legal proof that you have actually sold the vehicle in the event the new owner has an accident before the matricula has been transferred. In the DR, who's ever name is on the matricula, is the responsible party.

Also, the buyer has 6 months to pay the transfer tax, or they will start to incur fines.
Yes but there is something you can do to cover your self in the case the new owner have an accident and the vehicle is still on your name and is:
Go to el ayuntamiento of your city and there is a department I forgot the name where you can register your acto de venta pay a small tax and you will be fine just in case this happens.

JJ

Feb 7, 2007
Dominican Republic

Tourist cards....60 days..(above).......see link for Visa's....post #34....Visa 60 days........;)

I think you are incorrect on this one. From TimaticWeb

/ 31AUG10 / 1756 UTC

National AAA (AA) /Embarkation BBB (BB)
Destination Dominican Republic (DO)

Dominican Republic (DO)

Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
on arrival.

Visa required, except for Nationals of AAA, who
only when travelling for touristic purposes; are eligible for
a Tourist Card on arrival (See Visa issuance).
Visa Issuance:
- On arrival: Tourist Cards for a stay of max. 30 days. Fee:
USD 10.-. An extension is possible for a stay of 90 days for
a fee of DOP 62.40. Further extensions possible for varying
fees, depending on length of stay. No photographs are
required.
Minors:
- Passengers under 18 years of age leaving the Dominican
Rep.,For details, click here

Additional Information:

- Visitors must hold:
- return or onward tickets; and
- all documents required for their next destination.
- except for those, irrespective of nationality, whose
passport states that they were born in the Dominican Rep.
Warning:
- Non-compliance with the entry regulations will result in
refusal of entry and deportation of the passenger on the
same aircraft. The carrier will be fined USD 1,000.- if
transporting passengers with incorrect documents.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Not a big deal

I think you are incorrect on this one. From TimaticWeb

/ 31AUG10 / 1756 UTC

National AAA (AA) /Embarkation BBB (BB)
Destination Dominican Republic (DO)

Dominican Republic (DO)

Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
on arrival.

Visa required, except for Nationals of AAA, who
only when travelling for touristic purposes; are eligible for
a Tourist Card on arrival (See Visa issuance).
Visa Issuance:
- On arrival: Tourist Cards for a stay of max. 30 days. Fee:
USD 10.-. An extension is possible for a stay of 90 days for
a fee of DOP 62.40. Further extensions possible for varying
fees, depending on length of stay. No photographs are
required.
Minors:
- Passengers under 18 years of age leaving the Dominican
Rep.,For details, click here

Additional Information:

- Visitors must hold:
- return or onward tickets; and
- all documents required for their next destination.
- except for those, irrespective of nationality, whose
passport states that they were born in the Dominican Rep.
Warning:
- Non-compliance with the entry regulations will result in
refusal of entry and deportation of the passenger on the
same aircraft. The carrier will be fined USD 1,000.- if
transporting passengers with incorrect documents.

VISAS: Visitors who do not obtain a Dominican visa prior to entry must purchase a tourist card upon arrival to enter the country. Tourist cards cost ten U.S. dollars, which must be paid in U.S. currency. Tourist cards may be purchased at the Dominican Embassy in Washington or Dominican Consulates prior to arrival, as well as at Dominican airports at the time of entry. Tourist cards normally permit a legal stay of up to 60 days. Visitors who would like to extend their time in the Dominican Republic should visit the Migration Department in Santo Domingo and request an extension. Failure to request an extension will subject the visitor to a surcharge at the airport upon departure.

This is from the Us.gov.state ..don't understand how the US gov and the DR gov wouldn't be on the same page with this, considering how many tourists from the US visit that country.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is getting boring..... still no evidence that auto insurance will be valid no matter what the visa period is.

Janny wants a 6 month visitation.. not 30-60-90 days.... how best to accommodate that?

WW

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
This is getting boring..... still no evidence that auto insurance will be valid no matter what the visa period is.

Janny wants a 6 month visitation.. not 30-60-90 days.... how best to accommodate that?

WW

Rent a car for 30 day's (which we are united on that that is correct :)) with full option, the whole chabang on it and once in the country check via local dealers what the best option is?

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Abagado

WW

Agreed......;).......excuuuse me....Abogado

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

WW
He would have to get a visa extension or get a receipt of having filed for provisional residency.

Not sure there is any other way beyond only having a person with a DR cedula and drivers license drive him around.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think the whole driving thing is circumspect..... flawed, at best..... just follow the old standby...... CYA, big time !!:pirate:

WW

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I think the whole driving thing is circumspect..... flawed, at best..... just follow the old standby...... CYA, big time !!:pirate:

WW

OR,

They can just forget about all the crazy paperwork, stay for the duration of the visa process, travel into another country for the prescribed period, then come back. As so many expats do worldwide.

It's also entirely possible that after the first 3-4 months, they may not even feel having a full-time car is necessary.

It happens.

Reactions: Tamborista

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
OR,

They can just forget about all the crazy paperwork, stay for the duration of the visa process, travel into another country for the prescribed period, then come back. As so many expats do worldwide.

It's also entirely possible that after the first 3-4 months, they may not even feel having a full-time car is necessary.

It happens.

Thats probably the best advice given on this topic to the OP.

pas

Jun 7, 2004
any change mister guzman can clarify it...

becuase it use to be 90 days...
that your license whas valid..

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Rent or Buy?

Hi:
Last year we stayed in the DR for a little over 6 months. I rented a car for that period. I payed $23.50 a day, including taxes and insurance for a small SUV. If you plan on touring the country you will need some type of SUV and not a small compact car. I will probably buy a car this year but you need to consider some hidden costs before buying. You will need to pay fees to register and license the vehicle. You will need to buy insurance. You will have maintenance costs and if you are leaving the car in the DR you will have storage costs. A used small SUV that is about 5 years old will cost you about 9500 to 12000 US. A new one will be at least double that amount or more. If you buy new and try to sell after 6 months you will probably take a major loss in value on trying to sell it quickly. Renting is much more expensive than in the US however the convenience of picking up the vehicle when you arrive and being able to drop it at the airport when you leave is worth the price. In addition if you have any repair problems the rental company would be responsible for this. If you do not have a home in the DR and are not sure you will be buying anything in the near future you would be better off renting a car and not having to worry about all the details of owning.

S

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Let's be Friends

Can we all agree from here that is no clear cut answer to this situation??

Buying presents several problems as identified above..... renting solves most of the problems..... driving - as always - is an experience in RD.

We've all done it and those here have lived to tell the tale... our friend Janny will make it - with or without us.

Bienvenidos Janny..... motor on:bunny:

WW

Janny

Aug 25, 2010
Wow.

If I were not sure that the DR is a land full of paradox and burocratic confusion before, y'all have convinced me.

To clarify - the quote I received from Nelly's did include insurance, but apparently that is not necessarily a guarantee.

To further clarify - we could spend more than $6,000 on a car, and it just seemed to me that I would have some hope of recouping a portion of that money upon resale - cost of gas being a moot point as I will spend that in a rental or an owned vehicle.

Thanks for all the head's up about valid DL - we are planning on pursuing residency as per 'the official process', which I also gather is not written in stone anywhere.

Regarding tourist visas - again, much conflicting information, seems to depend on who you speak to. Husband - British/Canadian, me - Canadian.

One thing is becoming clear to me - it would be greatly to our advantage to have a local 'representative' (NOT a lawyer, thanks anyway) who would liaison with locals on our behalf until we are more fluent in 'the ways of the DR'.

I think I'll start a thread on that topic, I'll bet y'all have some interesting perspective for me on the subject!