Buy a Dog Poison Kit- Be Prepared

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I agree with Pi2 that dog-owners should be in control of their pets, and be responsable for them. Please do not start with this crap about taxing dogs, as it is one of the reasons a lot of people like to live here. To get away from all the little, silly rules.

If the dogs of someone are a nuisance in the neighborhood, that owner should be fined. Why should everybody with a dog have to pay for the behavior of some idiots.

I understand what you are talking about, as we have a crazy neighbor with 10 streetdogs, who roam in our street, and will attack you when you pass by with the moto. Talking to her does not help. So she should be fined. If it continues, the fine should be doubled, etc...

We have 8 dogs, and we take them to the beach. But first of all, we do not take all of them at the same time. We only take 2 or 3. Secondly, they are under control, and will not bother anyone. Thirdly, we clean up after them. And fourthly, we do not go to the beach with them on Sunday or on holidays, as we know there will be a lot of people. Fifthly, at the house they are confined to the garden. So why should I pay a tax for the misbehavior of someone else?

BelgianK

Agreed, now if we could just find the owner of the street dog hotel( partially built house that the dogs use as a kennel) we might be able to make progress. My mother-in-law is a bit guilty as she feeds the street dogs ( only her favorites) scraps at 10 o'clock at night.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Agreed, now if we could just find the owner of the street dog hotel( partially built house that the dogs use as a kennel) we might be able to make progress. My mother-in-law is a bit guilty as she feeds the street dogs ( only her favorites) scraps at 10 o'clock at night.

I hear you, but I was talking about dogs of which the owners were known. The well-to-do families Pi2 was talking about. The street dogs is another problem, which is also not solved by a tax. Maybe the DR, or the towns should start looking into animal shelters.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, there i go.

viralatas (dominican street dogs): yes, they run about becuase owners do not give a single f**k. they are stupid here, tho, not the dogs. the dog only knows what the owner teaches him.
in my 6 years in DR i have seen, fed and petted hundreds of viralatas. i have never had them bark at me, bite, scratch or show any agression. take dogs close to the farmacia: yes, they are super nice when i have a chicken bone but they come anyways when they see me so i could give them a little pat and rub. and they will ask to be petted first, before eating the bone. that tells you something, no? clearly, the same dogs bark at haitians, motoconchistas and other folks they consider a thread or a menace (i have see people kick dogs for no reason, and even kick them into the street so poor animal gets killed by a passing car) but then they are only protecting their territory, so to speak.
i have never seen or heard about any agression of a street dog against kids (unless the animal had rabies, in which case they are excused because their brain is cooked and they do not know what they are doing). viralatas know very well that a bite may well mean death. so they stay quiet. now, i have heard and seen bites, very vicious, by dogs kept at home/garden. again, the owner is to be blamed. yes, dogs are only dogs but a normal dog will only attack when provoked, sick or disoriented/shocked. but if the owner is f**king half-wit who trains his pitbull to kill then he should not be surprised the said pitbull rips apart owner's child. the same goes for people who mistread and torture their dogs.

my dogs: yanandu will be happy to hear i have two rottweilers, each of them over 100lb. they are locked in the garden (backyard, plenty of space to run) and they walk with us every day (on a leash at all times). they will protect the house, i have seen them bark at the workers on the other side of the fence - "do not enter, or else..." but they are not agressive or vicious. they love kids and will let a child put a head in their mouth, no reaction save for a good, honest licking. they are not threat to anyone except thieves who may enter our property at nigh. and this is how it should be. poisoning a dog like this is a f**king crime and the culprit should have a red hot iron rod pushed up the a**.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
ok, there i go.

viralatas (dominican street dogs): yes, they run about becuase owners do not give a single f**k. they are stupid here, tho, not the dogs. the dog only knows what the owner teaches him.
in my 6 years in DR i have seen, fed and petted hundreds of viralatas. i have never had them bark at me, bite, scratch or show any agression. take dogs close to the farmacia: yes, they are super nice when i have a chicken bone but they come anyways when they see me so i could give them a little pat and rub. and they will ask to be petted first, before eating the bone. that tells you something, no? clearly, the same dogs bark at haitians, motoconchistas and other folks they consider a thread or a menace (i have see people kick dogs for no reason, and even kick them into the street so poor animal gets killed by a passing car) but then they are only protecting their territory, so to speak.
i have never seen or heard about any agression of a street dog against kids (unless the animal had rabies, in which case they are excused because their brain is cooked and they do not know what they are doing). viralatas know very well that a bite may well mean death. so they stay quiet. now, i have heard and seen bites, very vicious, by dogs kept at home/garden. again, the owner is to be blamed. yes, dogs are only dogs but a normal dog will only attack when provoked, sick or disoriented/shocked. but if the owner is f**king half-wit who trains his pitbull to kill then he should not be surprised the said pitbull rips apart owner's child. the same goes for people who mistread and torture their dogs.

my dogs: yanandu will be happy to hear i have two rottweilers, each of them over 100lb. they are locked in the garden (backyard, plenty of space to run) and they walk with us every day (on a leash at all times). they will protect the house, i have seen them bark at the workers on the other side of the fence - "do not enter, or else..." but they are not agressive or vicious. they love kids and will let a child put a head in their mouth, no reaction save for a good, honest licking. they are not threat to anyone except thieves who may enter our property at nigh. and this is how it should be. poisoning a dog like this is a f**king crime and the culprit should have a red hot iron rod pushed up the a**.
I've found street dogs to be some of the sweetest animals around.

And I've known folks with fleets of "purebreds" who bark constantly and show signs of aggression and disobedience for no reason at all, and were allowed to run free in the streets...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
From what I've seen most street dogs have no owner and they proliferate on their own. Sure people may thrown them scraps but many times they fend for their own and most people wouldn't claim them.

My own opinion is that there needs to be a humane program like PETA uses in the states; Euthanize them by the thousands or millions.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yeah, you have to watch out for those big, mean vicious dogs. Killers all...

nicoletoby.jpg

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Our dog was poisoned in our yard last year, on Christmas eve. Some guy in a White Corolla drove through our neigborhood throwing pieces of salami in yards that was laced with tres pasitos.

We got various videos of the culprit in his car, throwing out the bait, but the police couldn't/wouldn't do anything, at least that we know of.

Our 14 yr Golden Retriever died within minutes. There was no time to do anything. RIP Sheena!
JD, I'd be plotting "street justice" to this day...

Bastards!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have known several GD's who had to be put down for agression towards their owners, especially the blue ones. I have also known dangerous rotties, and have known very sweet ones as well. The same goes for pit bulls, although I have to admit I am wary of them, as they have a very short fuse.

If a dog wears a pin-collar, it is a sign they are not to be trusted or have the wrong owner... just my experience...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Going fishing????
LOL!

Pinch collars work very well to control a friendly, rambunctious, muscular, massively strong 135lb. dog around people in social settings who are very fearful of such a large beast. And keep in mind Alida weighs all of 115lbs.

Toby hates it so much he about knocks me over for excitement and joy when I take it off the wall to go for a walk. I know, the cruelty of it all... :cheeky:

Opinions vary...

Prong Collars: Good for Training Stuborn Dogs (And Lord Knows Great Danes Can be Stubborn...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
LOL!

Pinch collars work very well to control a friendly, rambunctious, muscular, massively strong 135lb. dog around people in social settings who are very fearful of such a large beast. And keep in mind Alida weighs all of 115lbs.

Toby hates it so much he about knocks me over for excitement and joy when I take it off the wall to go for a walk. I know, the cruelty of it all... :cheeky:

Opinions vary...

Prong Collars: Good for Training Stuborn Dogs (And Lord Knows Great Danes Can be Stubborn...

We had two great Danes as kids and they both weighed more than our mother. One was a little rambunctious but only in an innocent way and apparently some people would get afraid of a 100lb "puppy" wanting to put their paws on their shoulders and lick them. :) We loved them a great deal so much so when one died were were all crying and mom called the ambulance to come and get him - which they did.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my rotties have one them collars that look like a loose chain that tightens up when the dog pulls. i let the collar hang around their necks when we walk and no one is around but when we see people or other dogs i pull the chain high up the neck and tighten it so should the goggies pull they will be.. well... strangled, i guess... first time we got this chain for our girl she kept on pulling anyways so hard she passed out. stubborn fool :)
of course nothing helps when some kids see our beasts, run to them and hug them by the neck. i cannot imagine salivating stinky rottie could look like a little black-and-brown teddy bear but i am not a child. i do not know who has worse heart attack: parents or us :) definitely not the kids, who at this point are having last of the meat licked clean off their bones in a drooling, sloppy, dripping wet celebration of pure love and affection...
gotta say i am never happy when that happens. a 100lb rottie can easily knock an adult man off his feet, let alone a child.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
my rotties have one them collars that look like a loose chain that tightens up when the dog pulls. i let the collar hang around their necks when we walk and no one is around but when we see people or other dogs i pull the chain high up the neck and tighten it so should the goggies pull they will be.. well... strangled, i guess... first time we got this chain for our girl she kept on pulling anyways so hard she passed out. stubborn fool :)
of course nothing helps when some kids see our beasts, run to them and hug them by the neck. i cannot imagine salivating stinky rottie could look like a little black-and-brown teddy bear but i am not a child. i do not know who has worse heart attack: parents or us :) definitely not the kids, who at this point are having last of the meat licked clean off their bones in a drooling, sloppy, dripping wet celebration of pure love and affection...
gotta say i am never happy when that happens. a 100lb rottie can easily knock an adult man off his feet, let alone a child.

you have what they call a choke collar... if used correctly, it will correct a dog...

you have to use this chain to give the dog short (1 second) corrections... it should resemble the bite the mother gives to its young...

The difference with the pin collar is....

choke collar.... getting a pinch in the neck
pin collar... stabbing around 80 pins into the neck of your dog....

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, i know. my aunt had it for ger german shepherd. didn't stop him from knocking her over and breaking her arm where he saw a cat he wanted to chase. she ended up giving the dog away to a family with a house (and garden). acually broken bone was not that much of a reason as him breaking into kitchen cupboards and eating etire bread supply for all days of christmas (shops used to be closed back then). 5 loaves. with bags. he was a happy dog :)

i tell you that a sharp pull of a chain to correct my dogs does not even make them bat an eyelid. rotties are notorious for their resistence to pain. to be honest nothing works for them, really :) but if properly chain-choked i am able to control both of them at the same time (lifting weights did help). i think this is what we are talking about here: an owner being able (and willing) to control the animal. i ain't dog whisperer but a bit of brute force mixed with lots of love does the trick. i wish all animal owners excercised the same care and responsibility...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
i tell you that a sharp pull of a chain to correct my dogs does not even make them bat an eyelid. rotties are notorious for their resistence to pain. to be honest nothing works for them, really :) but if properly chain-choked i am able to control both of them at the same time (lifting weights did help). i think this is what we are talking about here: an owner being able (and willing) to control the animal. i ain't dog whisperer but a bit of brute force mixed with lots of love does the trick. i wish all animal owners excercised the same care and responsibility...
This is where a pinch collar works. I wouldn't use one on a smaller dog. I don't use them on Jackie (Jack Russel terrier) or Perla (miracle street dog, kind short and not so stubborn.)

But Toby? I tried the choke chain only routine (all my dogs have both choke chain and a web collar; they think it's their personal jewelery:D). No way. Doesn't even begin to phase him. Pinch collar? Works perfectly and I rarely have to tug at all. He LIKES it. As I stated once before, when I pull it off the wall, Toby gets really, really excited and can't wait to have it put on.

A pinch collar is not cruel at all. It's just a tool that works for some dogs.

But opinions vary. There is no one answer, only opinions.

But I suspect if you went the pinch route, your Rotties would respond well. Something to ponder...

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
You can stop your dog barking as well.......

PETSAFE BIG DOG ANTI NO BARK SHOCK COLLAR PBC00-11047 | eBay

Actually I think its not good for gringos to live in a country and then drive a giant SUV bouncing other road users of the road; also then own imported giant breeds of dogs and some dog breeds that are banned in their home countries,
What,s wrong with a good Dominican dog; many seem intelligent and well adapted to life in the DR. Plus they are less severe on the Worlds resources not consuming vast sacks of dog food to produce giant turds.

pi2

This is where a pinch collar works. I wouldn't use one on a smaller dog. I don't use them on Jackie (Jack Russel terrier) or Perla (miracle street dog, kind short and not so stubborn.)

But Toby? I tried the choke chain only routine (all my dogs have both choke chain and a web collar; they think it's their personal jewelery:D). No way. Doesn't even begin to phase him. Pinch collar? Works perfectly and I rarely have to tug at all. He LIKES it. As I stated once before, when I pull it off the wall, Toby gets really, really excited and can't wait to have it put on.

A pinch collar is not cruel at all. It's just a tool that works for some dogs.

But opinions vary. There is no one answer, only opinions.

But I suspect if you went the pinch route, your Rotties would respond well. Something to ponder...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I had to use those for my excitable Jack Russels in FL because neighbors complained. They work, and the dogs could still bark through if needed. It just stopped the nuisance barking.

yabadabadu said:
Actually I think its not good for gringos to live in a country and then drive a giant SUV bouncing other road users of the road; also then own imported giant breeds of dogs and some dog breeds that are banned in their home countries,

pi2
Who cares what you think? If you don't want a "large imported" dog, don't have one. PS: my great dane is pure Dominican...

You get really irritating when you tell others how to live their life. You're like the result of that large sack of food...after being fully processed by a "large imported" dog.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Just exressing my dog preferences: others have different preferences I know!
Imagine what a town would be like if everyone had a great dane or irish wolfhound!
If my preferences are not of interest so be it!

pi2

I had to use those for my excitable Jack Russels in FL because neighbors complained. They work, and the dogs could still bark through if needed. It just stopped the nuisance barking.

Who cares what you think? If you don't want a "large imported" dog, don't have one. PS: my great dane is pure Dominican...

You get really irritating when you tell others how to live their life. You're like the result of that large sack of food...after being fully processed by a "large imported" dog.