Buy a Dog Poison Kit- Be Prepared

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Just exressing my dog preferences: others have different preferences I know!
Imagine what a town would be like if everyone had a great dane or irish wolfhound!
If my preferences are not of interest so be it!

pi2
No you weren't.

yabadabadudu said:
Actually I think its not good for gringos to live in a country and then drive a giant SUV bouncing other road users of the road; also then own imported giant breeds of dogs and some dog breeds that are banned in their home countries,

You were overlaying your "preferences' on others.

How about you live your life and leave others alone? You have a problem with that?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Based on that comment, I suspect you own a gay miniature chihuahua...

I figured that when he told me about the dog being beaten up by a pig!
I've put my dogs in with Rams before to treat them never to chase live stock and they have taken a kicking and it works, but pigs is a new one!.
People own PitBulls to Pit their Wits against the Bullsh1t that comes from pi$$y2cents attention boy here!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
It is a true recent story. I am not in any way biased - I give my reasons why I prefer Dominican dogs ; others may express why they prefer Great Danes or whatever!

pi2

NY2DR

Nov 21, 2009
I'm bringing my 2 dogs to live with me in D.R this year & I'm glad I read this thread about the poison kit because I had no idea dogs were intentionally poisoned here. After I read the posts it lead me to discuss the topic with a friend of mine who is also bringing his dog here next month. He thanked me & also said he had trained his dog not to eat food from strangers or random food thrown over gates into yards. Hopefully the dog owners on this site might want to try his training method and see if it works.

The 1st thing is too cook up some hamburger meat and load it with black pepper/spicy hot peppers ect Then have it thrown over the fence. Make sure the dog just drank some water to have the tongue wet so the burning affect will magnify. Try to cook the hamburger real big to avoid the dogs ability to actually eat it. The second reinforcement in combination with the first, is to have the meat thrown over the gate (again) and yell "NO" then reward the dog with your own personal treat. He said it takes about a week yet really works. I'll definitely will be training my dogs when they get here. I hope the dog owners here in D.R find this as a useful combatant since it seems like the primary process to poison is used with food. It might cost a few bucks of wasted meat but I'm sure it's worth it. BTW are they using any other methods to poison them??? If so let me know, thanks!
Our dog was poisoned in our yard last year, on Christmas eve. Some guy in a White Corolla drove through our neigborhood throwing pieces of salami in yards that was laced with tres pasitos.

We got various videos of the culprit in his car, throwing out the bait, but the police couldn't/wouldn't do anything, at least that we know of.

Our 14 yr Golden Retriever died within minutes. There was no time to do anything. RIP Sheena!

latitude19

May 29, 2011
You are definitely correct in your thinking: train dogs to avoid so will nevr have to use something like a poison kit. Judging from what others have written in this blog, having a poison kit at hand may not be enough.

I am unfortunately all too aware of dog poisoning. I lived previously in an unsafe neighborhood in Santiago (which was not a wise decision) and came home to find both of my dogs poisoned and dead. Thieves broke into and burglarized my house, and poisoned my dogs.

I believe the government still puts out poison at times, (at least that is what my Dominican fiancee said) not just random individual lunatics. If you walk your dog at times, he will possibly encounter poison. Best maybe to train both at your residence and randomly outside. One trainer recommended putting food in a (small) mouse trap. It is a bit harsh, but far better than a dead dog. I may do that with my dog. I have not googled the subject- am guessing there are other methods you can find online.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
No you weren't.

You were overlaying your "preferences' on others.

How about you live your life and leave others alone? You have a problem with that?

Just observations: I like Dominican dogs - small ones. gringos here have to live with the stereotype or image projected to Dominicans, whose land it is, by other gringos. I do not like pit bulls and I do not think I am alone in that : Many Dominicans and non Dominicans agree ; in other countries these animals have to be muzzled and on a leash in public.
Small friendly dogs with responsible owners are the ideal for many dog owners and non dog owners alike.
My opinion is that they are less likely to stand out and attract criminal acts such as poisoning and unduly emphasise the gringo has possessions that are worth time and trouble stealing possibly including poisoning the dogs.

Do you have a problem with that?
pi2

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Just observations: I like Dominican dogs - small ones. gringos here have to live with the stereotype or image projected to Dominicans, whose land it is, by other gringos. I do not like pit bulls and I do not think I am alone in that : Many Dominicans and non Dominicans agree ; in other countries these animals have to be muzzled and on a leash in public.
Small friendly dogs with responsible owners are the ideal for many dog owners and non dog owners alike.
My opinion is that they are less likely to stand out and attract criminal acts such as poisoning and unduly emphasise the gringo has possessions that are worth time and trouble stealing possibly including poisoning the dogs.

Do you have a problem with that?
pi2

Dominican dogs come in all sizes, coloiurs, and breeds. Responsible owners are the key, not what breed of dog. Dominicans have their dogs and cats poisoned as well- in non-gringo areas.
All the large dogs ( Roties, American pit bull, greman sheppard..etc) in our neighbourhood are owned by Dominicans. We don't have dog, and the only other Gringo in the area doesn't either. We pet the neighbours dogs which might as well be ours as the neighbours pay little attention to them. I talk to them and give them a pat but don't feed them.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Fatalities from Roties, American pit bull in other countries far exceed the numbers that might be expected from the proportion of the breeds compared with the total dog population. I fail to see the need for gringos to add to the number of thse dogs or any large dogs in the DR. Eventually it is hoped that DR introcuces more dog controls including those for dangerous breeds. In the meantime...
pi2

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
I see a very "interesting" future ahead, for someone!! :eek:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8_0cC5CgWc8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Fatalities from Roties, American pit bull in other countries far exceed the numbers that might be expected from the proportion of the breeds compared with the total dog population. I fail to see the need for gringos to add to the number of thse dogs or any large dogs in the DR. Eventually it is hoped that DR introcuces more dog controls including those for dangerous breeds. In the meantime...
pi2

Cockspaniels are down as the most likely to attack a person. Yes, you're lovely little Cock Spaniel.
Chalky the 'Pit" wants a word with you by the way, he said he's in the mood for a low fat 'Mcturkey burger', he noticed your name and reckons 'Pi2' is his calling for finishing you up in 'Pavo in 2 bites'!

419474_130894297039200_100003558907056_116593_151613619_n.jpg

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I see a very "interesting" future ahead, for someone!! :eek:

<iframe height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8_0cC5CgWc8?rel=0" frameBorder="0" width="480" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
Great post!
pi2

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
How did we go in this thread from anti-poison kit to fatality rate?
Oh well...
For what its worth, I have said it already a million times. A dogs character is for 95% formed by what his owner makes of him.
The other 5 % is genetically which makes a few unlikely breeds the most dangerous i.e. cocker spaniels but the red ones (red rage syndrome), chocolate labradors. And if you go by the statistics the beige labrador is the most dangerous but statistics are what you make of them because the beige labrador is one of the most sold pets in the Northern hemisphere.

Pitbulls are not my cup of tea but that's personal opinion and experience. They do have a very short fuse and once over the edge their bite is very dangerous (read they do not let go easy) which IMHO makes them not an ideal pet for anybody to have. To give an example out of the training practice world. My dogs (Malinois) go for it, bite and let go as soon as I give the command. A pitbull needs to be relaxed on the sleeve before he will or can let go. So imagine an apache gently tapping on the pitbulls head whilst he is hanging on the sleeve and saying in a sweet voice Oh your such a good boy, ssst, its alright...to calm the dog so he can unlock his jaws to let loose.

Acira

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
How did we go in this thread from anti-poison kit to fatality rate?
Oh well...
For what its worth, I have said it already a million times. A dogs character is for 95% formed by what his owner makes of him.
The other 5 % is genetically which makes a few unlikely breeds the most dangerous i.e. cocker spaniels but the red ones (red rage syndrome), chocolate labradors. And if you go by the statistics the beige labrador is the most dangerous but statistics are what you make of them because the beige labrador is one of the most sold pets in the Northern hemisphere.

Pitbulls are not my cup of tea but that's personal opinion and experience. They do have a very short fuse and once over the edge their bite is very dangerous (read they do not let go easy) which IMHO makes them not an ideal pet for anybody to have. To give an example out of the training practice world. My dogs (Malinois) go for it, bite and let go as soon as I give the command. A pitbull needs to be relaxed on the sleeve before he will or can let go. So imagine an apache gently tapping on the pitbulls head whilst he is hanging on the sleeve and saying in a sweet voice Oh your such a good boy, ssst, its alright...to calm the dog so he can unlock his jaws to let loose.

Acira

Your dogs bite people or only rats?

pi2