Buying a car

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
I will be going to the DR in August to buy my wife a car as a surprise and i need to know what i will need to buy a car. And last thing is it possible for a person from the USA to buy a car there

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
She is my wife not some barrio girl. So liability is not a issue for me. No one has answered the original question

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
what is a "barrio girl"???
As some would say a hood rat or just a girl to pass time with My wife and i have been together for 5 years and we also own property here in America an in DR so the issue of liability makes no point. And for the love of Jesus can someone answer the original question please.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I will be going to the DR in August to buy my wife a car as a surprise and i need to know what i will need to buy a car. And last thing is it possible for a person from the USA to buy a car there

you can buy a car as a foreigner, no problem.
you will need money and ID (for matricula). this really is not an issue at all. to insure the car you will need matricula, ID and a person from insurance company will view and value the car.
with any bank transfer above certain amount of dollars (10k, was it?) to DR (for car purchase) you will need to prove the money was obtained legally.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
you can buy a car as a foreigner, no problem.
you will need money and ID (for matricula). this really is not an issue at all. to insure the car you will need matricula, ID and a person from insurance company will view and value the car.
with any bank transfer above certain amount of dollars (10k, was it?) to DR (for car purchase) you will need to prove the money was obtained legally.
Thank you for the answers that i needed the price range that i am looking in is 7-9k and i have an account with Banco Popular so that is not a problem

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
will the insurance companies actually cover a foreignor who does not have a cedula or residency? i hear they will sell you insurance but if you are at fulat in a accident you will not be covered. Can anyone clairy the validity of this?

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I have friends that can help me get a good car for that price as usual its who you know.

For 7-9k in the DR. for a car the only person you need to know is a good mechanic to fix the junker that kind of money will buy.Maybe you can get a nice scooter or motor bike.

And chill out with the paranoid over reaction about your wife. No one implied that your wife is a bario rat.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
For 7-9k in the DR.....Maybe you can get a nice scooter or motor bike.......

RSG - I think you?re exaggerating a bit.:ermm: And its not even funny.

OP. You can find a good vehicle for that price. It won't be "bling", but that's a good thing.

The best vehicle purchase, IMO, is a common, reliable and low-key vehicle.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
You can get a well maintained 2001 Honda Accord in the 9-10K range or a more recent Honda Civic a bit cheaper.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
will the insurance companies actually cover a foreignor who does not have a cedula or residency? i hear they will sell you insurance but if you are at fulat in a accident you will not be covered. Can anyone clairy the validity of this?

Anyone please???