Buying a scooter

amordecanada

Jul 19, 2014
I am looking at buying a scooter. Not sure if I should go new or used. I need to know what price I would be looking at. If. I have an idea of the cost before I start looking. I also would consider buying a used scooter but leery of the condition it would be in (and how it was driven). Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I bought a new Yamaha because I wanted quality and peace of mind. I paid a premium for this. Either buy cheap and used and expect to have to make repairs; Throw it away and buy another when it gets too costly to warrant maintaining. Or spend more upfront and buy new to benefit from several months of worry free operation.

Lot's of new and used places in POP & Sosua. New Loncins from about $87K up to about $140K for a new Yamaha. Lots of cheaper used motos to choose from.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend and what your personal preferences are.

Jul 28, 2014
Personal message Frank12, you already know him, he's more of a motorcycle aficionado, but may be versed in pasolas also?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
70 Disgrace

There are 400,000 in impound in SD with no papers.

That's SD.
Here in LT my 'cu?ado' had his 'setenta' taken away - it was absolutely unworthy to be on the road... :laugh:
After it had been sitting in the local PN yard for some weeks, the police begged him to fetch it as it was such a disgrace...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

donP

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
You can always push it if it fails to run!

Or just call a tow-moto.

Dominican%20Republic%20Two%20Truck.png

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
in santiago there is a used honda moto dealer....imports reconditioned 90's from asia, best bet,,,look them up on utube honda 90's...best i think it is for 800$us...worth it...near the courthouse...
time proven most sold in the world...i still drive mine...80-200 miles ayear and sometimes dont drive it until next year.. but remember they(thieves will -might rob this bike although there is not much mkt) better to lock.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
That's SD.
Here in LT my 'cu?ado' had his 'setenta' taken away - it was absolutely unworthy to be on the road... :laugh:
After it had been sitting in the local PN yard for some weeks, the police begged him to fetch it as it was such a disgrace...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

donP

wish mine had "mine" taken away from him

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
honda ,,yamaha,,,no 2 strokes...yamaha has a beauty but pricey...and almost never sold used,,, same with hondas... i still get a rod for the new honda 150cc

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Unless you know the history of the pasola I wouldn't recommend buying second hand - I've done that and not very happy with it. The history means you know it had a responsible gringo owner from new that looked after it and it is no more than a year old - bikes rust quite quickly here (specially the cheaper Chinese ones, Loncin, JMD, X1000, Argo, TSM etc.).

In Sosua check new prices in Papatera hardware store (in the mean road after the car wash) and the moto shop before the bridge in Sosua Abajo.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
used one in GOOD CONDITION with papers - 30,000 pesos
new one - 40,000 pesos

I'm talking about 110CC - 125 CC...4 strokes, semi automatic. these are the best for city....but not for longer travels....
new bike 150 cc- around 40,000

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Automatic Pasolas have their pros and cons, but for me there is no question, automatic all the way. I rented a semi a couple of month ago on a trip and wouldn't do that again. Same as I never buy a manual car again - though used to have manual bikes and cars for years, getting old and lazy I guess.....

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
LOL, and I would never drive automatic car....no point to me
the problem with automatic scooters is that very often they have small wheels..which not exactly are good for the roads here.
Automatic Pasolas have their pros and cons, but for me there is no question, automatic all the way. I rented a semi a couple of month ago on a trip and wouldn't do that again. Same as I never buy a manual car again - though used to have manual bikes and cars for years, getting old and lazy I guess.....

donP

Dec 14, 2008
She wants her chicken nuggets.

One of the strangest drive in windows I've seen, and I've seen a lot.

This one, too??? :laugh: :laugh:

[video=youtube;cMuw2C4qe88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMuw2C4qe88[/video]

donP

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
LOL, and I would never drive automatic car....no point to me
the problem with automatic scooters is that very often they have small wheels..which not exactly are good for the roads here.

Yes, the automatics also fail on the belt and auto clutch more often and all that, also small wheels - in Asia they have auto pasolas with larger wheels, not sure why those never make it to DR !?

But after all is said and done, unless you want to play, rather than go from A to B, automatics are easier and a lot less hassle....It's taken me 20 years to convince my dad to go for an automatic car, at last, and still it was after I offered to pay half the cost.... lol !!! I still have to wait and see when it is delivered, at his age he might not be able to adopt to 2-pedal - as mentioned....