Buying Car

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Questions for those of you with experience buying part for American SUV.
Where can i get part for Jeep in this country. I ma fixing a 85 Cherokee 2.8 v6 and need a carburetor and few minors parts. Thanks

B

batich

Questions for those of you with experience buying part for American SUV.
Where can i get part for Jeep in this country. I ma fixing a 85 Cherokee 2.8 v6 and need a carburetor and few minors parts. Thanks

You may PM me and hopefully I can get for you either used or new one.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Buying a Carat ochao Rosa in Santiaog eep cherokee 85 and my trnafers cost will 3900, It should include everything, Do i need to also get placas, revista etc..........

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Buying a Carat ochao Rosa in Santiaog eep cherokee 85 and my trnafers cost will 3900, It should include everything, Do i need to also get placas, revista etc..........
Carat?
Is that a Volkswagen?
If so, and it's not too late to reconsider, you may want to choose a vehicle with easier access to parts.
You've already been through he77 and back with your Cherokee.
Why tempt fate?
Get a Honda, a Toyota, a Nissan, a Mitsubishi.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Buying a car - Insurance question

Does anyone know - in negotiating the purchase of a used car with a seller, the seller told us that the insurance on the vehicle was paid until November, and this was "transferable" with the vehicle. Is this possible / normal practice here? Never heard of this in Canada before, but we're "not in Kansas anymore".

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Does anyone know - in negotiating the purchase of a used car with a seller, the seller told us that the insurance on the vehicle was paid until November, and this was "transferable" with the vehicle. Is this possible / normal practice here? Never heard of this in Canada before, but we're "not in Kansas anymore".
It's possible and you would be driving legally, but.......
It is also possible that the insurance company would not pay up if the case arose.
Worth checking with the insurance company to be sure.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
It's possible and you would be driving legally, but.......
It is also possible that the insurance company would not pay up if the case arose.
Worth checking with the insurance company to be sure.

You need to have the insurance issue a letter to you, certifying that they accept the fact that you are the main driver now, or they may choose to play hide and seek if in case of an accident.

... J-D.

Feb 7, 2007
JD, how do you go about the process in points where the original matricula signed over by seller is required, when the car is being partially financed and the dealer keeps the original of matricula untill all pagares are paid?
(especially the part about procuraduria, where you said you needed the contract, original old matricula, and 500 pesos).

They (dealer) said they did the insurance themselves as they had a contract with insurance company; and seguro full is obligatory when having a car financed.

Are police check/VIN and procuraduria steps necessary when the vehicle has just been imported and it had just gotten placa/matricula these days?

How much time can I drive around on the old matricula signed over to me by the owner along with the sale contract? Considering that matricula/placa/marbete was just received these days.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
JD, how do you go about the process in points where the original matricula signed over by seller is required, when the car is being partially financed and the dealer keeps the original of matricula untill all pagares are paid?
(especially the part about procuraduria, where you said you needed the contract, original old matricula, and 500 pesos).

They (dealer) said they did the insurance themselves as they had a contract with insurance company; and seguro full is obligatory when having a car financed.

Are police check/VIN and procuraduria steps necessary when the vehicle has just been imported and it had just gotten placa/matricula these days?

How much time can I drive around on the old matricula signed over to me by the owner along with the sale contract? Considering that matricula/placa/marbete was just received these days.

I don't know the procedure for your case, except as to follow some basic common sense:
  • You do not do as a used car dealer tells you to, especially as a foreigner you don't. You would not consider to in your country. A car dealer is not in the business of protecting your interest. Only a few people have a proven friendly relationship with a car dealer, their case may be an exception.
  • I think that a lawyer should stand on your side for these deals. That may cost you USD 100.oo to 300.oo depending on how complicated the deal turns out. My report was not intended as a do-it-yourself manual, but merely an outline of what may come up as the basic procedure.
  • Furthermore, I think that some seem to have a wrong concept about all the checkups by the Policia Nacional and Procuradoria. These steps protect the buyer. Yes, they make a couple of bucks on the way but I still don't understand why so many seem to seek ways of short cutting these protective steps.
  • Insurance: Insurance varies greatly... similar to the US but the difference in coverage is much steeper. The basic (legally required) liability coverage by law is so ridiculous, it ain't funny any more. Vehicle finance companies are only interested in the owns vehicle coverage. Then you need to make sure the policy is paid and up to date (and for the correct vehicle too!). Many here see expenses like insurance a harassment by the authorities only and can display near unbeatable creativeness in their efforts to circumvent that sort of "unnecessary" expenses. So again, it's not what the dealer want you to believe, you will want to check with the insurance company personally (and not just with the "friend" of the dealer who works there) and the finance company that it is clear. Have the finance company issue to your name a written statement that all payments are up to date and that they accept the insurance coverage without the option to seek to cover differences in value and coverage from you should a loss occur.
Again, I am not a lawyer and I highly recommend most every one has his lawyer at least check into all details BEFORE a buyer commits himself to anything (like handing over ANY monies). Cars easily bear the cost of a small condo here... and most would not be as stupid as to buy a piece of real estate without legal representation.

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004

From what I seemed to understand, as far as the police is concerned (trafico) you can drive around with a matricula still to some one else's name (I am not sure if when it is signed over, it really changes things one or the other way). It can create a liability issue to the old owner as you may use the vehicle whilst doing illegal activities etc. The vehicle still being registered to his name, police would first storm him for "friendly" questioning. So, as a seller I would not do it. I know, your question is as a buyer... I however also think, that since the deal is not yet officially finished, the buyer is at some risk too, in that the owner may declare it lost (unbeknown to you) or even apply for a new matricula etc and PN has not yet determined if there are any other claims on the vehicle either. You will have heard of people selling real estate that does not belong to them (anymore or never did)... I think that's even much easier with a vehicle.
Short, It seems to be rather a question of mutual trust... Whom do you trust?
Again, ask a lawyer... a serious one! Some have a tendency to go along with things that are not really 100% legal or safe, because it is common practice around here. I don't... I am a foreigner and thus I don't have to many "primos" yet who will help me remind my counterpart we had a "deal".

... J-D.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
misspelling=misunderstanding?

Carat?
Is that a Volkswagen?
If so, and it's not too late to reconsider, you may want to choose a vehicle with easier access to parts.
You've already been through he77 and back with your Cherokee.
Why tempt fate?
Get a Honda, a Toyota, a Nissan, a Mitsubishi.

I know I'm answering an old post, but I can't help it:

What chola1978 wrote was,

"Buying a Carat ochao Rosa in Santiaog eep cherokee 85 and my trnafers cost will 3900, It should include everything, Do i need to also get placas, revista etc.........."

I interpret this as saying that he is buying a car at Ochoa (Rosa ?) in Santiago, the car is a Jeep Cherokee '85 etc etc

Perhaps this was so obvious that noone else could be bothered to write a comment... Anyway, his fingers must have gotten a serious beating from working on that Jeep, that must be the reason for all the grave typing errors =:)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I know I'm answering an old post, but I can't help it:

What chola1978 wrote was,

"Buying a Carat ochao Rosa in Santiaog eep cherokee 85 and my trnafers cost will 3900, It should include everything, Do i need to also get placas, revista etc.........."

I interpret this as saying that he is buying a car at Ochoa (Rosa ?) in Santiago, the car is a Jeep Cherokee '85 etc etc

Perhaps this was so obvious that noone else could be bothered to write a comment... Anyway, his fingers must have gotten a serious beating from working on that Jeep, that must be the reason for all the grave typing errors =:)
It's my understanding that Chola had a Cherokee that was more broken down than operational, and was looking to buy a Volkswagen Carat.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i've been told there's a specific time period til then you have to do the Traspaso, get your name in the matricula. that's because the government want's to collect the sales tax, and they do that when you switch the matricula in the new owners name. i did it for my little one a few weeks ago(bought him last year mid november) and it costed me f*** 13.000 pesos, the guys at rentas internas have lists with all those car models/year built aso, so there they pick how many sales tax you owe.

Mike

amandalynn

Oct 5, 2007
I just recently purchase a car in santo domingo. Im from the US so a car payment of $400.00 dollars aint bad but is that considered high in the DR. it does include the full coverage insurance though.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I just recently purchase a car in santo domingo. Im from the US so a car payment of $400.00 dollars aint bad but is that considered high in the DR. it does include the full coverage insurance though.

AmandaLynn,
i assume you mean the full coverage insurance for your car costs $400.- per year, right?
for a small car that would be a regular rate.
Mike

amandalynn

Oct 5, 2007
$400 per year is correct. yes but i still owe on the car so the car payment is about $400 included in the $400 is the tiny amount that goes to the insurance too.