by what type of insect i have been bitten?

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
it most be a dominican because this is the 2nd time it happened to me within 2 months.

i don't know what bit me (must have been in my sleep) but the spot of the bite turns hard as rock and if you touch it it is very painful.

1st one was (and here it comes) on my ass, so so sitting was a painful process for like week.

2nd one (which i have now) is under my armpit.

at a certain moment it just pops open and you have pus coming out of it and then you can squeeze it for lots of blood to come out of it. but the squeezing part can take up to 3 days and then everything is normal again.

this time i have like a rock under my armpit the size of a 10 peso coin in diameters.

anyone?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I think you probably have got a staph infection. It starts from a bite which is just a normal mosquito bite, but this gets infected usually by dirty water, and then you get staph in your system. It moved around your body and tends to spread to areas where you sweat, so you get them on your butt, armpits and other sweaty areas. It's called carbunculosis I think when you get this.

You need to get to a skin clinic to get it checked out to be honest. If it is staph, then you need to use cefalaxine and you need to be super careful with what water you wash with (when I had this I washed with bottled drinking water and a medicated shampoo).

But definitely get it checked.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
boils/staph would make sense given the location of both infections. i would check it with a dermatologo.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I agree that it sounds like boils. May have orginated in a spider bite but most likely from a general cleanliness issue.

I have had them here and also camping in the States. Absence of hot water for showering and staying in swim suits too long seemed to be contributing factors.

You need to shower here two, and three times a day.. and turn on hot water for showers if you have them.

You also need to go to see the local doctor.

If you are in an apartment; go dump Chlorox in your tinanco.. (others will chime in with this)

If you are in a hotel, check out and find another,

If you in Las Terrenas by the beach, find a place on the hill since many of the sewers were built by the wells. This may be the case for other beach communities as well but I do not know for sure.,

Wear cotton T shirts to bed.

Change clothes often.

You will need antibiotics probably both cream and oral.

I do not understand why folks seem to be so willing to pay $1000 peso for hookers and not for doctors.

Despite some of the postings to the contrary, the doctors.. particularly in the beach communities, are VERY well trained and equipped to deal with the issues that confront their residents.

Go to the doctor.

It really is not about the spider.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Also, for men, take up the Polynesian habit of wearing pareos around your waist at home and give those nether parts a chance to breathe.

Also, if you live here full time, invest in both a good mattress pad, and good 300 thread count cotton sheets.. polyester does not breath..

Make sure that whomever is washing them is Correctly measuring the soap (this is tough one.. more soap, more clean, no?) and have her (or him, or diy) run them through the rinse cycle twice a couple of times to make sure that soap is out.

Make sure that laundry is being done in a good laundry detergent.. and not "1 2 3 .. or Acer...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ha ha ha, MA, loved your post. so much truth in it :)

seriously, one of the more popular issues we dealt with in the pharmacy were skin related. dominicans are not dirty people themselves but their environment is. the water is often dirty and contaminated and the living and/or conditions can be really dreadful. add to this humidity, heat and sweating... no bueno.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
torie. The only way for you to be diagnosed and treated correctly is to see a Physician. You can not be diagnosed via the Internet. Go to the Doctor Sir.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
you tend to read that doctors from time to time miss inform people and when it comes to this country and my ability to explain my situation in spanish???

also i am so stubborn when it comes to going to a doctor, what i have isn't a matter of life and death. it's now under my armpit and it's uncomfortable when i sleep but i don't cough blood or anything.

i was just wondering if there is a type of insect that affects this so i could by the right type of anti bug spray.

when it comes down to water, i have always been drinking water out of bottles and i abuse hot water so what is being told about water doesn't add up for me.

the one thing about the bed / sheets could be it cos thinking about it, i moved 2 months ago and in these 2 months it happened to me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
torie, it is not the water you drink, it is the water in which you wash: shower, pool, river and so on. all those can be contaminated. as a result a small mosquito bite or an irritated area can get infected.

if you do not see a dermatologo you risk repeated infections. some of the areas (face and the head) can be very dangerous too if affected. dr1ers can advice you an english speaking dermatologo (i know a decent one in POP, others can point you good doctors in different cities).

i suggest you try some antibiotic cream (most likely that's what you'd get anyways). maybe fucidin? it costs about 500-700 pesos. there are some cheaper creams with antibiotics too, like derma3 but they also contain anti fungal meds. clean the area, apply cream twice a day. use talc to keep general area dry. use only cotton for now and at home take off the shirt altogether.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
If you want to buy the antibiotics without going to a doctor, you need to ask for Cefalexina, that's what they usually prescribe for this, I guess people in the pharmacy can tell you how much to buy and how often to take it. Wash with bottled water, and get a medicated body wash from the pharmacy. I had terrible problems with this when I first arrived, I was living in a very smart apartment block, but all the doctors I saw said it was to do with dirty water and a mosquito bite becoming infected.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Coral Poison

it most be a dominican because this is the 2nd time it happened to me within 2 months.

i don't know what bit me (must have been in my sleep) but the spot of the bite turns hard as rock and if you touch it it is very painful.

1st one was (and here it comes) on my ass, so so sitting was a painful process for like week.

2nd one (which i have now) is under my armpit.

at a certain moment it just pops open and you have pus coming out of it and then you can squeeze it for lots of blood to come out of it. but the squeezing part can take up to 3 days and then everything is normal again.

this time i have like a rock under my armpit the size of a 10 peso coin in diameters.

anyone?

Could it have been that you were diving/snorkeling near corals?
They have bacteria which can get into your blood system and can cause this type of skin 'outbreaks'.

In this case only antibiotics (taken orally) can help.

donP

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Sir torie. Treating yourself is dangerous at best. You don't know what you have until you consult with a Physician. It could be an autoimmune disorder, glands, you may need to see an Endocrinologist. Drop a few pesos and get it checked.
Good luck bro

May 29, 2006
It doesn't have to be from water. It can be an inflammation in your lymph system which then drains down to form the boils. Best is to try take baths in Epsom salt or even regular salt and take anti-biotics(after seeing a doctor). Most insect bites will clear after a couple days. If it's getting worse, then a boil is more likely. You can get secondary infections and even an abscess without care. Lancing will help but it needs to be treated with care. The two locations cited are very common for boils. I had one on my chin when I was in the Pacific Islands. Took about a week to clear up and not in the best location.

I hear bedbugs are starting to show up in the DR at the hotels. You usually get dozens of bites from those guys ~I'll be checking under the mattresses on my next trip.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I agree with the OP that this is not life threatening. I would suggest he buys the antibiotic
cream first like dv8 suggested and give it a try prior to seeing a doctor. Trying simple
home remedies like( soaking the affected area in salt water to help drain it) is also a good idea.

If it clears up then you know what the problem is, if not, then you go see a doctor. No reason to
have to see a doctor for every little pimple.

Living in the tropics you become susceptible to insect bites (infected) or boils. My youngest son
(years ago)must have been bitten by insects while playing outside in the DR and the area was
swollen, full of pus. I did not take him to see a doctor, I simply drained the pus and applied an antibiotic cream and presto, it was cured.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I agree with the OP that this is not life threatening. I would suggest he buys the antibiotic
cream first like dv8 suggested and give it a try prior to seeing a doctor. Trying simple
home remedies like( soaking the affected area in salt water to help drain it) is also a good idea.

If it clears up then you know what the problem is, if not, then you go see a doctor. No reason to
have to see a doctor for every little pimple.

Living in the tropics you become susceptible to insect bites (infected) or boils. My youngest son
(years ago)must have been bitten by insects while playing outside in the DR and the area was
swollen, full of pus. I did not take him to see a doctor, I simply drained the pus and applied an antibiotic cream and presto, it was cured.

They call it "Nacido ciego" here, had one 6 years ago here in the groin area, like you did with your son I squeezed it to take out the pus and put the cream on which cured it.
My daughter had one last year on her elbow, did the same thing. The DR is a dirty place so beware.

May 29, 2006
I had a mosquito bite on my calf when I was in the Pacific that got infected. Walking around in puddles in 90? heat in flip flops and shorts and scratching it too much. After about four days, I had red lines running up my leg and went to the clinic. They said that was the kind of thing that could kill you if you don't take care of it. Life in the Tropics...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I suspect it could be mayes. You don't feel the bite at first. But it begins to itch in a day or two. And if you scratch it breaking the skin, a staph infection can happen.

I would go to a doc ASAP and have him do a sample of the puss. Screen for MRSA. THAT can be a real problem and is nearly a pandemic today.

I have experience with both infected maye bites...as well as a 6-month struggle with MRSA. Ugliest malady I ever had, but finally cured by 2 weeks of antibiotic pills (Zyvox)...that cost, seriously, US$2200, and a tube of antibiotics that cost US$300. I think I wrote about my MRSA on DR1 maybe 8 years ago...