Cabarete Bay/Transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
MY favorites in Sosua are number one Rockys. Good food, nice people and inexpensive. I will eat there more than any other place.

Number 2 would be Pier Giorgio. Has the BEST food of all the restaurants, sits on a cliff overlooking the bay, airport and Puerto Plata. A little pricey but a great meal.

Number 3 would be the Waterfront. Great view, Good food a little pricey.

I got a great meal at a German owned restaurant that served Thai style food up the street from Eddys Sports bar. Only ate there one time but food was interesting.

Dusseldorf German Restaurant has the biggest portions I have ever seen in my life for very few pesos but the food was just ok.
Not super tasty.

There is a Steak House in Puerto Plata that wasn't bad and a decent restaurant on the Malecon that served traditional type food which was ok but nothing special.

THere are a bunch of restaurants on the beach in Cabarete that were ok but don't remember names except for LAX which had great Music and a decent lunch.

I hope some others pipe in so I can pick up a few tips meself:)

Glad you are a woman. You have to watch some of the Brits on the board! lol

Scott

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi patbro,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Ex-pat locations in Sosua (El Batey)
Rocky's Rock & Blues Bar - Marco (as covered by Scott)
Eddy's Sports Bar - Eddy
Britannia Pub - Barb & Lynden
La Roca

Dominican locations in Sosua (Los Charimicos)
Michael's Pub
Central Restaurant (1 lb. lobster dinner $180 RD peso, last known price)

Cabarete
Jose O'Shays

Cabarete (Boca de Yasica)
Laguna Bar - Cristino and Rossi (Seafood)

Puerto Plata
Cafe Cito - Tim Hall
El Manguito - Dominican Tipico fare
Ponderosa - Good seafood

Maimon
Plaza Johan - Fried fish & Tostones

And the best food I have ever eaten in the DR, courtesy of a recommendation from Hillbilly, if you find yourself near Santiago be sure not to miss Pez Dorado (seafood and everything else).

God you wouldn't know I stay at AI's would you?
(Lots of day trips.)

Enjoy your trip.

Gregg

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Cabarete Eateries

We are a little biased as most of the bars have now taken the option to quote in US$ on their menus!! However, we still, along with others, continue to boycott those as we believe that as "locals" we don't deserve to be ripped off like tourists!! Why in the world should anyone pay US$2.00 for a small Presidente? Costs have gone up at the wholesalers/suppliers, Dominican wages have not(!), local food has not(!) and a case of 24 beers is still only RD$370!!! There's profit and PROFIT!!
Now that's off our chest - favourite eateries here in Cabarete:
La Casita, Pappy's - best prawns/fish etc and he's still in pesos.
Ohno's - good food and ask for the 10% discount for residents!
Ditto Barrio Latino.
New bar at the BIC Centre EZE - good, if a little expensive.
Miro's - Italian but pricey.
Vento's - ditto, good food, pricey.
Oh La La - good pizza
Casa del Pescador - expensive but good fish - check your bill!
Blue Paradise in town, excellent value, good food.
Le Bistro - great duck! Currently boycotted!!
Chinese on main street - good value, plenty food despite the look of the place.
There are many other great places but as we eat out regularly they can be pricey so we stick to our regular favourite ones.
Please don't ask why we don't use some of the ones already mentioned by others - we don't like to knock on the door of libel - just based our choices on quality of food, prices and experiences on previous visits to them all.
Still looking for cheap beer on Cabarete beach? Try the tiny La Cosita between Ohno's and Barrio Latino - they sell small Presidente at RD$35 and large at 45!! Drink there - eat elsewhere!
Maybe see some of you around??
Peter & Alex

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
Want to meet?

Peter & Alex: I think we could get along. We will be in DR in September. Where do you hang out? I'm sure we can get there. We look forward to meeting you.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
RE: taxi's at airport, cost is $20US each way, regardless of number of people or bags. Sometimes they try and charge yo extra for board bags, but jst make the price clear beforehand. Also, keep in mind that anybody that touches your bags between customs and curb (about 30 feet) will expect a tip (usually $1pp) so if you don't want to be hassled for a tip, carry your own stuff and make sure that the person you are talking to is actually the taxi driver.

Cabarete Bay Hotel is the nicer part of Estrella del Mar. As Starz recently took over the resort from AMHSA, they are just trying to market it differently now.

RE: restaurants, for a romantic dinner, I recommend Natura Cabanas in Perla Marina, about 10 minutes from town. Reservations only as they are a small restaurant. Also, if you could stay there for a night or two, it would be rather special.

Cabarete:
papi's- best shrimp and sauce
le bistro - nice affordable french food
down from le bistro - new pizza place, super yummy, otherwise oh la la or pizza via.
Surf Camp in pro cab - great pepper steak, churasco, pizza, ribs in super cool atmosphere
Kitexcite on Kite Beach - great indonesian dishes, bar/grill type food
dicks - the breakfast place for fresh OJ and espresso. New place opened next door which is pretty good too!
Tropicoco - best all you can eat bbq on saturday nights, also very nice menu for steak, chicken, fish, lobster, pasta
La toma luna - romantic italian restaurant behind Velero
Vento - great atmosphere
LAX - great pizza, salads, pasta, cool atmospere, local hang out
EZ bar - great wraps, smoothies, salads, cool atmosphere
La Brisa de Rio Yasica - another romantic dominican style restaurant about 10 minutes outside cbarete, seafood
Chinese food place - not much to look out but good and cheap
Hexencastle - great german food, huge plates, affordable
Otra cosa - french restaurant, very romantic, great food

Karl

Jan 1, 2002
Taxi

If any of your friends are still looking to make some cash, i need a taxi for 2 from Puerto Plata Airport to Palm Beach Condos in Cabarete. I will be arriving on Jan 27th.
Let me know if anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.