Cabarete Bypass Starting?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I heard it through the grapevine that this is the start of the Cabarete Bypass, a long fabled way to go around Cabarete I never expected to see.

Rather than going through and eliminating La Cienaga , it is rumored to require the construction of a causeway style of bridge to span the public wetlands.

We shall see. This work is starting in the Sea Horse Ranch/ Perla Marina area and heading inland.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
This has been talked about for many years now and it would be nice if it was true. Maybe this is connected to the destruction of the houses in La Cienega last week. If this was true there has been no recent public announcement about this and it would also surprise me that the government would invest in this right now with the huge lack of US dollars available due to an 80% drop in tourism. I would like to hope it was true but I just can't see this happening right now, and especially without the government announcing such a large expense. It could well turn out to be something completely different and nothing connected to this supposed road that has been talked about for years. Maybe it is a new gas station, those things appear all over the place!! haha

Reactions: bellakins

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I heard it through the grapevine that this is the start of the Cabarete Bypass, a long fabled way to go around Cabarete I never expected to see.

Rather than going through and eliminating La Cienaga , it is rumored to require the construction of a causeway style of bridge to span the public wetlands.

We shall see. This work is starting in the Sea Horse Ranch/ Perla Marina area and heading inland.

Good info post! A "Dozer" with a ripper blade doing what it does best. Grading for road building. Cab will be so much nicer with a bypass road. I hope that's what's going on. Buses and trucks will not create such a bottle neck if they can go around.

Reactions: windeguy

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I heard the same rumour yesterday, but it is strange that they would start such a project without a lot of publicity, as they have done with other new roads. I too thought this would never happen after the last President's attempt to build a bypass was abandoned, but if it really is happening it will be very welcome. Any bets on completion date?

Reactions: Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I heard the same rumour yesterday, but it is strange that they would start such a project without a lot of publicity, as they have done with other new roads. I too thought this would never happen after the last President's attempt to build a bypass was abandoned, but if it really is happening it will be very welcome. Any bets on completion date?

I do not remember which threadline it was posted within, but there was a copy of the federal government's detailed allocation of funding by province for this year 2021.
Perhaps it is listed within this source?
It would be nice to know which company received the contract, and how the bidding process played out, if indeed it is the bypass project as previously mentioned.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Sure seems to be a fairly wide swath being cleared. I thought it looked like a new urbanizacion .
Then again it could be some crooks getting ready to sell plots they don't actually own

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The owner of Casa Blanca Hotel confirms it is the Cabarete Bypass work. Some of the workers on the project are staying at his hotel in Cabarete. I am surprised there was not a previous public announcement of a project so DRamatic for the area. Personally? I await that government confirmation to be convinced. Where are Luis, Willy and Freddy on this?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This has been talked about for many years now and it would be nice if it was true. Maybe this is connected to the destruction of the houses in La Cienega last week. If this was true there has been no recent public announcement about this and it would also surprise me that the government would invest in this right now with the huge lack of US dollars available due to an 80% drop in tourism. I would like to hope it was true but I just can't see this happening right now, and especially without the government announcing such a large expense. It could well turn out to be something completely different and nothing connected to this supposed road that has been talked about for years. Maybe it is a new gas station, those things appear all over the place!! haha
My first thoughts were a new hardware store. We sure need more hardware stores in the area, but slowly the Coconut Telegraph is trending toward the Cabarete Bypass Road. We will see.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hopefully before the next presidential election. I don't bet on anything that I cannot control the outcome of, and even then.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I wonder if this new gov't has a new approach to public announcements ?

Many times the public and DR1 react to an announcement with
Oh Sure !
I'll believe that when I see it.....
Etc, Etc

Perhaps this new group chooses to announce things at a working construction site -
as proof of their announcement - a show of good faith

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From what I am hearing this is the route the bypass will take. From the Perla Marina/ Sea Horse Ranch around the south of the lagoon and exit onto the Sabanets to Moca road near Pata de Gallina. They might take a more direct path, instead of all those curves, but this is likely the general area for the road to be built.

1614433309956.png

• Wow
Reactions: bachata and jd426

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On learning of the roads path, I also heard a rumor of a new golf course, but for now let's stick to the road, in a manner of speaking.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
From what I am hearing this is the route the bypass will take. From the Perla Marina/ Sea Horse Ranch around the south of the lagoon and exit onto the Sabanets to Moca road near Pata de Gallina. They might take a more direct path, instead of all those curves, but this is likely the general area for the road to be built.

View attachment 4212
So the "bypass" of Cabarete will take longer than the normal road passing Cabarete? Does not make sense.

Reactions: Garyexpat and cavok

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Then hardware store, would love that, North Coast really need a decent one. Then golf course, yes would be great, but I heard rumours of that for many years and nothing happened. Golf courses are usually built to sell villas and make a profit. Golf course itself is usually not profitable. Casa Linda was thinking about it, but I guess they when they realized that the villas were selling anyway, why spend money on a golf course? That said, bypass, hardware store, Golf course, yes, yes and yes!!! Love it. But I believe it when I see it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So the "bypass" of Cabarete will take longer than the normal road passing Cabarete? Does not make sense.
The bypass is so that trucks don't get backed up in traffic in Cabarete.

It makes perfect sense and the distance is not that different at all. It will take less time on the bypass for trucks and greatly reduce bottlenecks and danger in Cabarete Center.

Reactions: jd426 and Big

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Those trucks will still need to deliver in Cabarete.....
that's where the real blockage comes from........parked trucks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Then hardware store, would love that, North Coast really need a decent one. Then golf course, yes would be great, but I heard rumours of that for many years and nothing happened. Golf courses are usually built to sell villas and make a profit. Golf course itself is usually not profitable. Casa Linda was thinking about it, but I guess they when they realized that the villas were selling anyway, why spend money on a golf course? That said, bypass, hardware store, Golf course, yes, yes and yes!!! Love it. But I believe it when I see it.
It was a joke about the hardware stores. There are plenty of hardware stores, their goodness? They are not Home Depots.
I don't expect any new hardware stores in Sosua/Cabarete.

As for the golf course, time will tell. Still just a rumor at the moment.

Sticking to the road, it will take time to finish the bypass road if it really gets finished.
I too believe things when I can see them. At least the road is started. Major egg on the face if not completed.

Reactions: Stephen Klinedinst