Cabarete Bypass Starting?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Went past the site today. There was a lot of equipment parked out front near the road, but i didn't see any work in progress.
All projects in Cabarete seem to be the same. The Bypass has been a parking lot for equipment for weeks. The only good bits of sidewalk in the main street were ripped up and never replaced, leaving a muddy mess. They put up ugly corrugated zinc on the beach where they are supposed to be building lifeguard stations, but the work stopped there.

The powers that be seem to have good intentions but are incapable of carrying them through.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Today I noticed for the first time, three large trailers like they normally used for the managers of such projects parked on the east side of the excavation with one person going into a door on one of them.

Where they there before or did they just show up? Still no word from Freddy.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
Question: Did anyone of you guys passing the construction take the time to stop and ask about what they do there? Just wondering....
In his speach on Fbruary 27. Abinader did not say they start the construction for the Cabarete Bypass, he did say the Cabarete bypass is in planing (diseño)...

Page 26
Y en fase de diseño la de Cabarete en Puerto Plata

Reactions: Billp16

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Today I noticed for the first time, three large trailers like they normally used for the managers of such projects parked on the east side of the excavation with one person going into a door on one of them.

Where they there before or did they just show up? Still no word from Freddy.
The site office huts have been there a couple of weeks, as long as the construction vehicles.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Question: Did anyone of you guys passing the construction take the time to stop and ask about what they do there? Just wondering....
In his speach on Fbruary 27. Abinader did not say they start the construction for the Cabarete Bypass, he did say the Cabarete bypass is in planing (diseño)...

Page 26
Y en fase de diseño la de Cabarete en Puerto Plata
Nobody there to ask whenever I pass. And if it's only in the planning stage, why have all that valuable construction equipment sitting there doing nothing?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Nobody there to ask whenever I pass. And if it's only in the planning stage, why have all that valuable construction equipment sitting there doing nothing?
Free parking. Indicating something is going to happen soon.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

At the moment, the Cabarete Bypass project was recently under further discussion by the POTDR himself who was staying within a mile of where those machines are lined up and waiting. Stay tuned for further updates as they are available. This is the DR.

Last edited by a moderator:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I do hope this project isn't going to be abandoned, like the last proposed Cabarete bypass was, because of environmental concerns for the lagoon area. I'm all in favour of protecting the environment, but if this one is going to be on a raised causeway as stated in the OP, there should not be such problems. The bypass would certainly improve the environment of Cabarete.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I do hope this project isn't going to be abandoned, like the last proposed Cabarete bypass was, because of environmental concerns for the lagoon area. I'm all in favour of protecting the environment, but if this one is going to be on a raised causeway as stated in the OP, there should not be such problems. The bypass would certainly improve the environment of Cabarete.
I don't expect a raised causeway. There is debate about the path. As I see it, it could go through the center of where La Cienaga is right now. That is, as one might guess, somewhat problematic in removing so many squatters. Or it could go south of the lagoon and take a somewhat longer and perhaps less convenient path. Someone has to decide and that someone was in town while signing agreements for a new movie studio in the DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Equipment still idle along the main highway. Just a couple of people visible near the offices.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Upon returning from "vacation" I see no further progress and many machines still idle across from Perla Marina.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Upon returning from "vacation" I see no further progress and many machines still idle across from Perla Marina.
Yes. It's a mystery what is going to happen. The only hope seems to be that those expensive earth moving vehicles still on site.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
let us know i
Yes. It's a mystery what is going to happen. The only hope seems to be that those expensive earth moving vehicles still on site.
let us know if you see any flying pigs in the area..........

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
Today, Saturday, they took away one of the large backhoes and at noon they were loading one of the large off road rock trucks on a lowboy trailer. IS THIS THE END OF THE BYPASS???????

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Today, Saturday, they took away one of the large backhoes and at noon they were loading one of the large off road rock trucks on a lowboy trailer. IS THIS THE END OF THE BYPASS???????
Oh well, it was a nice thought while it lasted.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Equipment continues to disappear at the supposed bypass site. Went by on Thursday the 13th. Not many left now.