Cabarete Medical center

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I just wanted to hear some comments from other users on the Cabarete Medical Center. (fairly new on the highway entering Sosua)
We have just had a new daughter delivered there last week and the service was both Impeccable, professional and friendly (personable) .
The reason that I am asking was that i had to basically "convince" my Dominican wife to change to there
from Puerto Plata. She was doing the "salon" thing a few months ago and a lot of Dominican women told her that it was not safe there . I couldnt imagine that, as we had been there for a few minor ailments for our kids and found it to be excellent.
I basically dismissed it as barber shop charla but wonder where it could have stemmed from ?

Its a Top Notch facility as I can see , with Modern equipment, clean and new rooms, well organized and fast !
Excellent Doctors, both Foreign and Dominican.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Our family has had good ER treatment there for minor issues. We even changed our medical insurance plan to one that they accept (Humano from Palic).

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Stayed overnight last year for kidney stones, great service. Had minor surgery there about 6 months ago and again great service, very professional.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
We've always had good care there. Unfortunately for us, we've used their services alot!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Just one experience in the ER and seeing a nurse trying to put an iv in with fake painted nails on...hmmm

Hate that! I am the Infection Control Resource RN for the Main OR and I bust nurses for that all of the time, well, they don't try the fake nails but nailpolish is banned, even clear....they all hide their hands when they see me coming...

SHALENA

Aug 21, 2007
I am glad to read all this. I have watched them "grow up" since they first opened. Regularly, I have taken patients there for treatment and I, too, have been treated at CMC. They have become extremely professional in their appearance and in their practices. The CMC equipment is the newest, most sophisticated in the area. The customer service is good. And they are just plain nice people.

I hope they have the opportunity to read this thread. Getting to this point hasn't been easy for the owners, nor the workers.

Kudos, CMC! Take a bow.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
But to answer the OP's question....some Dominicans do not like the prices charged at CMC. And, I have been told that some have been refused service if they couldn't pay. And when there is an accident and someone is brought to the emergency room with severe wounds or injuries and they have no means of paying, then what are the owners to do?

Lindsey

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Hate that! I am the Infection Control Resource RN for the Main OR and I bust nurses for that all of the time, well, they don't try the fake nails but nailpolish is banned, even clear....they all hide their hands when they see me coming...

SHALENA

I must say, it was interesting to see her do it. Putting the iv together was pretty much straight forward, putting the iv in also but then she took a very long time to put the clear patch iv sticker on. tssss

We have used their services when our little son was sick a couple of times. Every time we/he got a private room, very professional threatment. I cannot find good enough words for how pleased i am with them.

If they ever run into lack of funding i would support this hospital without a doubt.

10 out of 10 points from our family.

web

Nov 5, 2005
But to answer the OP's question....some Dominicans do not like the prices charged at CMC. And, I have been told that some have been refused service if they couldn't pay. And when there is an accident and someone is brought to the emergency room with severe wounds or injuries and they have no means of paying, then what are the owners to do?

Lindsey

excellent question, what would they do?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Lindsey

We can only ask the owners of CMC what would happen. But I suspect the same thing that would happen in almost any non-public hospital in the DR. I expect they would be denied service.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Unfortunately, I have had more than the normal experience with CMC also, particularly in the latter stages of Mr. WB's life, and we would have nothing but praise for the care and attention afforded to us.

Appreciated that good medical care is down to the expertise of the doctors but there is also a lot of comfort to be had from the personal and caring treatment not only to the patient but also the close relative/s plus the extreme help and assistance in somewhat unusual circumstances which prevailed when Mr. WB had to do the direct transfer from hospital bed to airport without notice for an insurance bill to be made up - personnel at CMC went far beyond the call of duty in that respect.

Don't tell anyone but Mr. WB also enjoyed home cooked special meals prepared by Dr. Spitale's mum at times as his only complaint had been about the food!!

Dive Cabarete

May 14, 2011
www.divecabarete.com
When I took over Dive Cabarete I made a point of visiting CMC and meeting Mary Jo Reinhart who runs client services. I was impressed with the facilities and she was very helpful. Mary Jo told me that the hospital is required to treat a medical emergency regardless of the ability to pay but I guess it would need to be very serious. If you have any questions or need assistance she will be willing to help.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
A few problems but overall; THE BEST in our area. I'm thankful they are here.

I was just thinking about our U.S. health care and had to re-think. CMC is way better in many ways.

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
I had a minor stroke (transient stoke) last February. Was there at CMC for 4 days. Super and professional care from Dominican and american doctors. Put me back on my feet. Couldn't have been better in my country. When I had my stroke I was walking from my hotel to the beach. I fell down and a politour piked me up and put me in a taxi and was rushed to the CMC. The nurses took really good care of me and always with a smile. If you need good care CMC is the place to go.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005

I am not being sassy , I am Canadian and we have our social system back there.
Its a genuine question

I would like to also know what to American Private Clinics do in that case?

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
When I took over Dive Cabarete I made a point of visiting CMC and meeting Mary Jo Reinhart who runs client services. I was impressed with the facilities and she was very helpful. Mary Jo told me that the hospital is required to treat a medical emergency regardless of the ability to pay but I guess it would need to be very serious. If you have any questions or need assistance she will be willing to help.

I thought so. For an ER staff to refuse medical care to a very seriously injured person because of lack of funds would be IMMORAL!!!!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am not being sassy , I am Canadian and we have our social system back there.
Its a genuine question

I would like to also know what to American Private Clinics do in that case?

What Canadian or American clinics do is of no real relevance in this thread, but here is your answer on what American hospitals must do:

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)[1] is a U.S. Act of Congress passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). It requires hospitals to provide care to anyone needing emergency healthcare treatment regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay. There are no reimbursement provisions. Participating hospitals may only transfer or discharge patients needing emergency treatment can be discharged only under their own informed consent, after stabilization, or when their condition requires transfer to a hospital better equipped to administer the treatment. [2]

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Thanks for the answer... I disagree with your relevance comment as we have expectations from our origin country and sometimes react or expect the same here .........

What Canadian or American clinics do is of no real relevance in this thread, but here is your answer on what American hospitals must do:

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)[1] is a U.S. Act of Congress passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). It requires hospitals to provide care to anyone needing emergency healthcare treatment regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay. There are no reimbursement provisions. Participating hospitals may only transfer or discharge patients needing emergency treatment can be discharged only under their own informed consent, after stabilization, or when their condition requires transfer to a hospital better equipped to administer the treatment. [2]

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia