Cabarete or Las Terreanas

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Some very interesting answers except from the ones about french, italians kind of stupid generalisation... It s fine to try to be funny but it requires a lot of talent... :)

And the generalisations about the English are OK?:surprised

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
No, of course not. I meant all kinds of generalisation. I mentionned french and italian because they seemed redundants...
:)

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Cabrera is ok, some areas have nice views if you plan to buy, but it's absolutely boring.

It would be a good choice if you a writer or artist with nothing to do but write a novel or paint on a canvas.

Basically, it's a 1 horse town with maybe 1 or 2 mediocre restaurants.

The only beach (Playa Grande) is nice but approachable only by car. Try walking there from your home.

IT service for your smart phone is dismal or non-existent. Had to go to the only hotel there (La Catalina) to get wi-fi. The La Catalina itself, is on a downward slope in dire need of renovation/upgrading.

Yes, it's safe and has better roads than Las Terrenas but that's about it.

Bottom line, we couldn't wait to leave to go back to LT.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There is no comparison to LT and Cabarate. Las Terrenas has an international feel, many French, Italian and German living here. Spanish, French, Italian and English widely spoken. The beaches are the best and uncrowded. You can fly in El Catey airport, 30 minutes away. Flights come in from Candad, Europe and Jet blue from JFK. Santo Domingo is only 2 and a half hours away.
Don't even consider Sosua. It has a beautiful bay but also the biggest population of working girls on the whole north coast. Go to lasterrenaslive.com and check it out.

LTSteve

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
There is no comparison to LT and Cabarate. Las Terrenas has an international feel, many French, Italian and German living here. Spanish, French, Italian and English widely spoken. The beaches are the best and uncrowded. You can fly in El Catey airport, 30 minutes away. Flights come in from Candad, Europe and Jet blue from JFK. Santo Domingo is only 2 and a half hours away.
Don't even consider Sosua. It has a beautiful bay but also the biggest population of working girls on the whole north coast. Go to lasterrenaslive.com and check it out.

LTSteve

the lasterrenaslive.com site is an expired domain/landing page with some ads on it.

May 29, 2006
You may want to state what your interests are. A single guy in his 30s is going to want something different than a couple in their 40s with kids.

I'm looking at either Cabrera or someplace inland. It's surprising how fast you can burn out on living right on the beach. Cabarete is a one road town but it does have a very nice beach. If you like water sports, it's great. It has some good restaurants, but on the long term good food shopping is more important unless you can't cook at all.

Another consideration is the cost of land and property.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Heck, we are 58 and 59 yo, and we still found Cabrera - dull/boring! I can't imagine being younger and living there unless I had a thriving business or had gobs of funds and could travel extensively.

Playa Grande in Cabrera is well know but it's the only beach. You'll need a car to get to it whereas in Las Terrenas the beach is everywhere just about and you can often just walk there. Plus you can go to the beach in nearby Coson which arguably is the most spectacular of them all.

Not sure which restaurant in Cabrera the other forum member is referring to. We ate at the few places there with the local real estate broker who knows every doorway in that town.

Prices for distant ocean view lots or homes already built with similar views were not a bargain. (neither is LT)

I am sure you can go inland and find "cheap" build-able land without deslinde if you don't mind living in a remote area.

One thing that was nice about Cabrera was the relative quiet. It certainly was not as noisy as Las Terrenas.

But we would go stir-crazy living in Cabrera year-round.

May 29, 2006
I spent six months living in an 8'x12' shack in the Pacific Islands in a village where NO ONE spoke English, (and I sure as hell didn't speak Marshalese) Given that it was only 20' from the ocean, it wasn't bad at all. No water apart from gallon jugs and an outhouse in back. Pi2 would be jealous if it weren't for the lack of seaweed..