Cable internet vs Mobile internet

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
From reading past post, the internet speed from mobile carriers and cable carriers are almost the same.

So is there anyone who uses their mobile carrier as the sole choice for connecting to the internet? If you do, do you use one of the wifi devices that allow you to connect 5 devices wireless and have you found your speed slowed down after downloading a large amount of data.

For those that use a cable for your internet connection, are there limits when downloading?

Trying to find pros vs cons. Being mobile and having one bill is a pro, but if it's not unlimited or constraint, that's a negative.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
So is there anyone who uses their mobile carrier as the sole choice for connecting to the internet? If you do, do you use one of the wifi devices that allow you to connect 5 devices wireless and have you found your speed slowed down after downloading a large amount of data.

I use Wind Telecom's 4G service, I think they are the only wireless carrier that sells speed plans rather than transfer plans - meaning there is no 5 or 10 GB etc transfer limit after which the speed is throttled down.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
My orange fly box when i have my 10 gigs of high velocity internet is really good I tooped off at 5 mgs the other day but 10 gigs seems to go so fast I am going to upgrade to 25 this month Wind looks great but its not here on the North Coast.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
My orange fly box when i have my 10 gigs of high velocity internet is really good I tooped off at 5 mgs the other day but 10 gigs seems to go so fast I am going to upgrade to 25 this month Wind looks great but its not here on the North Coast.

Whats the download speed you get on that? Is it available in Santiago?

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
between 2.5 m-6 m on a good day yes its Orange fly box but they do not offer unlimited internet only plans of 5 10 and 25 gigs of High velocity internet after you use the bandwith of your plan it goes down to 256 kb. Its Orange go into asn office they will explain.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
between 2.5 m-6 m on a good day yes its Orange fly box but they do not offer unlimited internet only plans of 5 10 and 25 gigs of High velocity internet after you use the bandwith of your plan it goes down to 256 kb. Its Orange go into asn office they will explain.

What is the cost for that service, I am assuming it is 4g and requires a 4g cellular modem. Is this service available in Santiago?

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I use Wind Telecom's 4G service, I think they are the only wireless carrier that sells speed plans rather than transfer plans - meaning there is no 5 or 10 GB etc transfer limit after which the speed is throttled down.

After viewing WIND's website I like the speeds they provide and it seems like there isn't a limit. Is this true with what you have found VJS? What area do you live, because I see from their map the location plays a part in the coverage.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Also you have to have good Orange cell signal where you live but its plug and play and the fastest way to get online.

DeadHandStraight

Jun 10, 2012
@bermyboy

Hi, seems you know more about whats available and works. My question is regarding streaming...is optic fibre (dsl) available and do they have (Orange) a flat rate...(Sosua area) whats actually the max I could get and what are the costs monthly..
Need something pro like? Thanks