Camp toaster

Chirimoya

Moderator - East Coast Forum
Dec 9, 2002
Charlielyn's latest blog entry reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask for a while. Does anyone know if camp toasters are available in the DR? I mean those square metal plates with a handle and a grill that you place on a stove top to toast bread. I'll post a photo if necessary. Mine is falling to bits and I need to replace it.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Gonzales have them in POP, I am sure you can find them in Santo Domingo as well. Otherwise I?ll send you one on CaribeTours.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Wow - I've looked in many kitchen departments in ferreterias, supermarkets and household goods shops here and never, ever seen one.
The ones that are just a plancha are easy to find, but not the ones with the metal grill over it. That's what I'm after. Is that what you mean?

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Never saw that in Santo Domingo, I am not familiar with camping stuff tho. Did you see in the camping section of stores like Americana or Price Smart?

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
My camp toaster has a round base with 4 sides that pop up and hook on to each other. 4 slices of bread can be toasted at a time. Flip them over to toast the other side. I'll put a photo on today's blog.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I looked in the camping shop at Americana -I was convinced they would have it but they didn't, and didn't know what I was talking about! I haven't been to Price Smart for a couple of years and our membership has lapsed, but I could ask someone I know here who is a regular.

Mine is a camp toaster, even though it's not the same as Charlielyn's - I inherited it from a departing expat friend about six years ago.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I contacted the Price Smart cardholder and a visit has been scheduled. I'll report back soon.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That's good news - if I can't get one here I'll definitely find one in Europe this summer. The old one will have to do until then.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I went to Price Smart this morning and they only had the usual hotplates without the grill rack. I happened to stop off at La Sirena on the way home and lo and behold, they had something on the lines of what I was looking for. Total fluke and cheap to boot (RD$230). It'll do until I find the real thing in Europe this summer.

Thanks for all the offers and advice.