Can a tourist bring a car to DR (and take it back)?

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Can a tourist (not from Puerto Rico) bring a car to the DR without paying custom duties nor ITBIS, then to drive it for a few months and take it back?
What are the conditions, such as max permitted period?

If someone knows the regulations in the matter please quote. Thank you.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The Ferry from Puerto Rico takes cars back and forth on a regular basis. From the US may be another story.

Heck, there has been some pretty large drug busts where cars had drugs hidden in them.

I have seen quite a few cars with PR plates on the road as well.

Nobody

18+++
Apr 10, 2020
The Ferry from Puerto Rico takes cars back and forth on a regular basis. From the US may be another story.

Heck, there has been some pretty large drug busts where cars had drugs hidden in them.

I have seen several vehicles with Haitian plates.

Jan 9, 2004
I have seen several vehicles with Haitian plates.
The OP referenced bringing the vehicle in for several months.

Cars registered from Haiti, Puerto Rico, or anywhere for that matter, may only be driven legally in the DR for a 30 day period. They are also subject to a whole host of other restrictions too numerous to list. After that time period they are subject to confiscation.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: windeguy and PCMike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The 30 day rule should have come out earlier in the postings

Bad information was given
==================================

1634212577081.png

• Angry
Reactions: Nobody

Nobody

18+++
Apr 10, 2020

Bad information was NOT given.
Those posting gave the information that they were aware of at the time.

Eventually, because the thread was kept alive, someone with additional information posted.

Why did YOU not post the 30 day rule?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bad information was NOT given.
Those posting gave the information that they were aware of at the time.

Eventually, because the thread was kept alive, someone with additional information posted.

Why did YOU not post the 30 day rule?

I have no knowledge of the rule - is why I didn't confuse the issue

If you read Post#1 -
It specifically asks for 'max permitted period'

Jan 9, 2004

View attachment 4905
I have no knowledge of the rule - is why I didn't confuse the issue

If you read Post#1 -
It specifically asks for 'max permitted period'
The first part of his question...............without even getting to the time permitted issue was;

"Can a tourist (not from Puerto Rico) bring a car to the DR without paying custom duties"............

And the answer is still NO. There was no need to go any further than that for the OP.

ALL vehicles entering the country are subject to Customs Duties imposed as a charge to review and clear ALL the paperwork needed to bring the car in............whether one day or one month, or brought in permanently for use in the DR...........period.

Not to mention proof of insurance in the DR, or proof of clear ownership with no liens, etc., etc., etc., But those points are moot................because customs duties are collected for/from vehicles entering the country. It is merely the size of the duties relative to the reasons for importation............tourist, resident, etc.

Bad information? He got the correct answer for the question posed.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

To my understanding, no Peugot, Citröen, Ssangyong; Skoda, Brillance, MG and others in Puerto Rico. Probably the US government has something to do with that.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
To my understanding, no Peugot, Citröen, Ssangyong; Skoda, Brillance, MG and others in Puerto Rico. Probably the US government has something to do with that.
The don't comply with the NHTSA safety regulations.