Canadian couple with a 3-5 year plan

j&l

Jun 20, 2011
im a almost 30 canadian. My boyfriend and i have been looking into relocating to the DR for a couple years and are ready to stop dreaming and take some action. we speak eng. but are learning more spanish as we travel.We have never been to the northeast coast and are thinking the sosua/cabarete area would be worth seeing.i have heard mixed reviews of the sousa area, i am not a millionare and am wondering the differances between the two as far as their opinions on foreigners.

also wonder what the opinion of tattoo shops is?

thanks for any feed back

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I'm not exactly sure what feedback you want to know but yes, sosua/cabarete is worth seeing. They are both very good beach vacation towns. One does not need to be a millionaire to visit. Foreigners are found in both towns (without them they wouldn't exist) and no idea the opinion of tattoo shops because I have never seen one in either town.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

If I were you, in addition to the Sousa/Cabarate area I would spend a few days on the Samana Peninsula in Las Terrenas. There is a large population of Europeans, predominently French (4000), many Italian, Germans, Canadians and Americans. This area has the best beaches in the DR. It is an area that is laid back and hip. Check it out on the web at wwwlasterrenaslive.com.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Drugs & Tatoos

Well, until recently tatoos were in here.
Then druglord Figueroa Agosto was caught (in PR) because of his tatoo...
Thus many potential clients have dropped the idea... ;)

donP

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
im a almost 30 canadian. My boyfriend and i have been looking into relocating to the DR for a couple years and are ready to stop dreaming and take some action. we speak eng. but are learning more spanish as we travel.We have never been to the northeast coast and are thinking the sosua/cabarete area would be worth seeing.i have heard mixed reviews of the sousa area, i am not a millionare and am wondering the differances between the two as far as their opinions on foreigners.

thanks for any feed back

Havent you seen the show DR Ink?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com

thanks for any feed back

Welcome to the North Coast. You will always hear mixed reviews about the Sosua/Cabarete area but thats due to the posters own experience. Take that into consideration but remember that YOU make it worth your while if you choose to live on the North Coast and not the posters here. We, for one, love it here between Cabarete and Sosua and we are not miljonairs either. You can make a very nice live here and see and appreciate the differences between the villages of Sosua, Cabarete, Sabaneta, Gaspar Hernandez and further up indeed Las Terenas that we frequently visit for the excellent food (a lot of Italian and French living there so food IS good) but personally I could not live there because it does not give me the feeling enough that I live in the Dominican Republic but thats my personal opinion. All depends on how you want to integrate yourself in this culture and for as far as I have seen, Canadians are doing well here :)

One more thing, do not rush into buying anything for at least two years, rent at different places so you get the feeling of the neighborhoods. It will help you in the end to make a much better choice for settling down eventually.

Acira