Canadian Exchange Rate

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks to Anna for finding this thread.  I’ve renamed it and will make it a sticky so it’s easier to find.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It usually follows the rules....
Nothing terrible but the cam iOS aren’t too fond of it...

I go directly with my Cdn debit to ScotiaBank...
I’ll look up my most recent

JusMe

Aug 26, 2018
Just arrived today and made the serious mistake of getting pesos for Canadian dollars, cash, at the airport. I just wanted enough to get into the city and organize myself.

Cdn$100 gave me 3018.34 DR$. Incredibly bad exchange rate.

Once I got settled, I walked down to the ScotiaBank and used my Canadian ScotiaBank Visa Debit Card, to withdraw from my account in Canada.

Exchange rate, with zero atm or bank fee, was 36.6609 DR$ to the Canadian dollar. I know where I'm doing all my banking now.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My $271-2-3 for 10,000 pesos at ScotiaBank still stands....

from the ATM in Nagua & Cabarete - drawn on my Cdn account

Your number is the same

JusMe

Aug 26, 2018
Last Wednesday, $274.52 CanuckBucks for the same DR. At La Serena ATM, across from the ScotiaBank branch in Puerto Plata

JusMe

Aug 26, 2018
Not quite sure if this should be in this specific thread, but mods can move it about as appropriate.

We've been wondering what might happen with the acquisition of El Progresso by ScotiaBank. I've contacted ScotiaBank about it, over several emails, and finally got a clear answer.

Initial conversation piece was this:
When you’re travelling, you can use the ABMs of the international banks in the Alliance, and you’ll skip the surcharge and save on access fees.

The Alliance page indicates there is only ScotiaBank for the Dominican Republic.

And yet: The Globe and Mail August 14, 2018
"Scotiabank says it has reached a deal to acquire Banco Dominicano del Progreso, a bank with operations in the Dominican Republic."

The last time I tried using my ScotiaBank Visa Debit Card at Banco Dominicano del Progreso, there was a note that I would be charged a fee.

Does this mean that although ScotiaBank has acquired El Progreso that it is still not a part of the Alliance? Or is there just some delay in implementing the same benefits for ScotiaBank card holders at el Progresso branches?

The final answer I got was this:
Scotiabank is a founding member of the Global ATM Alliance. When you’re travelling, you can use the ABMs of the international banks in the Alliance, and you’ll skip the surcharge and save on access fees.

When travelling to the Dominican Republic, I am very sorry to advise that only Scotiabank’s in Dominican Republic are a part of the Global ABM Alliance. Even though Scotiabank has acquired Banco Dominicano del Progreso, they are currently not enrolled in this added service.

So, we at least know why we must seek out a specific ScotiaBank to use our cards at their ATMs and not available for fee free usage anywhere else.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
$278.80 for 10,000 pesos at the Scotia ATM in Nagua
=========================================================
RE: Progreso
Sooner or later they will merge with Scotia entirely and be part of the Alliance...
My branch assures me.... these things take time

Until then -- same old, same old

CDNCAVOK

Jul 10, 2019
Ok so warning to tourists, never change your cdn dollars at Puerto Plata airport Globo Canbio. They wanted to give me 31.72, when the going Bank of Canada rate was 38.77. My Costco Capital One card gave me 38.68 which is great and I got 35.00 when changing cash in Sosua Caraibe Express next to Supermercado Pola.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Ok so warning to tourists, never change your cdn dollars at Puerto Plata airport Globo Canbio. They wanted to give me 31.72, when the going Bank of Canada rate was 38.77. My Costco Capital One card gave me 38.68 which is great and I got 35.00 when changing cash in Sosua Caraibe Express next to Supermercado Pola.

No never at airports, never!

CDNCAVOK

Jul 10, 2019
No never at airports, never!

My Capital One Cosco Card has no fees for international purchases and I am getting 37.68 and the same when withdrew from Scotia Bank. My Bank charged me a $3.00 fee and bank machine 200 pesos.

I’d rather use them then hunt for rates because my banks are giving me the going rate less fees.