Canadian Immigration Wait Times Update

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
There are many of us that can also say that we read the application 20x, sent every piece of proof of relationship that we had and still the best outcome is a 6-7 month wait with no interview.

I wonder if it has anything to do with what part of the country they are from? I know of two couples that applied in November and December of 2008 and their husbands are from the POP area and they have already been granted their visa?

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
My husband is from POP, we applied in March 2008....now we're finally waiting for the interview. I, too thought he was going to be here before Xmas. Every time we think we have found a pattern in the Immigration process, soon enough we realize there is probably no way to figure it out.

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
To FIESTA MAMA,

And, by the way, I was told on DR1 that my process took so long, maybe because I sent my application 1 year after I got married. But get this, the reason why I waited had to to do with the fact that an Immigration counselor told me if I sent it too quickly my relationship wouldn't seem real. I obviously found out about DR1 way after I sent the papers...
And, since I live in Qu?bec, I starting thinking that was the reason..But then, AnnaC, if I'm not mistaking is also from Qu?bec (Montreal, like me) said it took less than 6 months to get her man here. So I thought maybe it was awhile ago and there weren't so many applications.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
To FIESTA MAMA,

And, by the way, I was told on DR1 that my process took so long, maybe because I sent my application 1 year after I got married. But get this, the reason why I waited had to to do with the fact that an Immigration counselor told me if I sent it too quickly my relationship wouldn't seem real. I obviously found out about DR1 way after I sent the papers...
And, since I live in Qu?bec, I starting thinking that was the reason..But then, AnnaC, if I'm not mistaking is also from Qu?bec (Montreal, like me) said it took less than 6 months to get her man here. So I thought maybe it was awhile ago and there weren't so many applications.

There is no concrete answers as to why it takes so long. We've had a mix bag of scenarios here non are like anyone else's much.

BTW just to set the record straight, I live in Ontario . Not sure if we have another AnnaC here on DR1:paranoid: but this one ( me ) has never sponsored a husband or anyone else from the DR.

I'm here to direct traffic and post websites when needed. ;)

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
To AnnaC,

My point exactly, drawing conclusions is a waste of time but still..we can't help but try to make some sense out of this nonsense. BTW, to set the record straight I did point out I might be wrong when I said you lived in Montreal. I'll make sure this doesn't happen again. I believe caro's the one who lives in Mtl.

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009
Not sure what office you called but here is the website Sponsoring your family: Spouses and dependent children

The whole process is expense.

Edited to add
Osap is a financial aid program so I'm not sure if you qualify as a sponsor

Taken from the above site

You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:
  • failed to provide financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
  • defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
  • received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence?depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued
  • defaulted on an immigration loan?late or missed payments
  • are in prison or
  • have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.
Other factors not included in this list might also make you ineligible to sponsor a relative.

OSAP is a loan...welfare is financial aid..Im pretty sure.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
OSAP is a loan...welfare is financial aid..Im pretty sure.

If you're in Canada best to call and get the forms and info to be sure. I found this number 1 888 242‑2100 to listen to all options.

If anyone has another number to reach please post it.

Good luck

ngc911

Jul 30, 2008
Hope this clarifies some ambiguity....

OSAP is "Ontario Student Assistance Program"

OSAP is a needs-based program. This means that it provides loans, grants, scholarships and bursaries based on a formula that compares your educational costs to expected contributions from your parents or your spouse (if applicable) and your own income and assets.

Welfare is either (A) Ontario Disablility Support Program 'ADSP' or (B) Ontario Works 'OW'. Either ones are considered to be financial assistance.

Ontario Works (OW) provides employment assistance and financial assistance to eligible persons in temporary financial need.

The Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) provides income and employment supports to people with disabilities.

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009
If you're in Canada best to call and get the forms and info to be sure. I found this number 1 888 242‑2100 to listen to all options.

If anyone has another number to reach please post it.

Good luck

thanx for the number I willtry it on Monday (its business hours are probably 8-4, Monday to Friday)

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Hope this clarifies some ambiguity....

OSAP is "Ontario Student Assistance Program"

OSAP is a needs-based program. This means that it provides loans, grants, scholarships and bursaries based on a formula that compares your educational costs to expected contributions from your parents or your spouse (if applicable) and your own income and assets.

Welfare is either (A) Ontario Disablility Support Program 'ADSP' or (B) Ontario Works 'OW'. Either ones are considered to be financial assistance.

Ontario Works (OW) provides employment assistance and financial assistance to eligible persons in temporary financial need.

The Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) provides income and employment supports to people with disabilities.

It's not because the words financial assistance are not written in the OSAP program it 's not considered as financial assistance by immigration.
If someone is receiving $$ from OSAP, call it a loan, grant ..., don't tell me that person has the financial ressources to sponsor someone else !!!!!

When she cannot support herself