Canadian killed in La Mulata II ?

C

Cdn_Gringo

I've read my fair share of reports where upper middle class and just plain wealthy Dominicans have been victims of robberies and home invasions. The motivation is money and dedicated criminals go where they believe the money is and the potential net take outweighs the perceived risk.

Lots of resident foreigners are at a disadvantage when it comes to language, the bureaucracy and the legal system. It would make sense to me that in a given cluster of foreigners there are a few options when a bad guy is looking for a naive, vulnerable and relatively low risk victim. If you live in the vicinity of sharks you have to expect that you will peak their interest from time to time even if only in passing.

This is why those who live in exposed areas, need to ensure that their actions convey the message that they are not messing around when it comes to allowing easy or unfettered access to their property. It doesn't have to be a fortress, but there needs to be a fence, lighting that is on all night augmented with motion detector flood lights. A dog or two is good. Outside gated communities, barred windows and doors are another obstacle that will need to be overcome by someone looking to get inside. The obvious, keep your doors locked when you are home or at least keep the iron gate locked if the door is open for a breeze. Someone should not be able to waltz right in unannounced.

An innocuous motion detector that chimes in the house when someone walks up your driveway or along the path to the door is a good idea. These can be mounted on all sides and high enough that the dogs don't set them off but a person not crawling on the ground will. No one can get to the house without at least a little bit of warning.

Lots of easy things one can do, it's just a matter of recognizing that you need to do them. Unfortunately, for some, this becomes an after the fact realization. A determined bad guy can be hard to stymie completely but most of these hood rats are not that determined and certainly not smart enough bypass several layers of passive deterrence. We get comfortable and lazy after awhile and that is what the sharks are waiting for.

B

Big

If a man invites a tasty little chica back to his casa for a late night early morning frolic in his little back yard piscina or hot tub while sipping his home brew mamajuana, he may as well have told 40 street people. A complete inventory of his possessions was passed on as well. Is it his fault if he becomes a victim? absolutely!!!, does he deserve it? maybe not so much

S

Simon & Nicky

Just out of interest. If the guy who did it came from Cabarete would that make Cabarete more dangerous than Sosua?

C

cavok

Neither Cabarete nor Sosua are dangerous. When you come down here, you just have to remember one thing - you're not in Kansas anymore.

B

Big

A "clue" might also be the availability of casa rentals for 25 dollars a night. They don't usually attract higher end renters that usually come along with security conscious landlords.

C

CristoRey

In DR "trust" equals "suicide".

No it don't. In the DR
I trust my Dominican friends.
I trust my gringo friends.
Been living here 7+ years,
never had a problem. Some
people know how to move in
a 3rd world country and (sadly)
some people are dying (while trying) to learn.

Last edited:
C

CristoRey

A "clue" might also be the availability of casa rentals for 25 dollars a night. They don't usually attract higher end renters that usually come along with security conscious landlords.

Thought La Mulata II was a posh spot.
Not that I've ever spent much time up
there but I had no idea there are $25 a
night rentals in La Mulata II. Are you serious?

B

Big

yes! they have a wide variety of accommodations close together. Perla Marina and/or Seahorse ranch it aint.. However one still must be cognizant of his comings and goings as not to be targeted. Being mindful about security is a given no matter where you live.

W

william webster

If this is the guy reported... you can stop guessing about "Why"..........
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\
DR1 NEWS

No results on two foreigners shot and killed in Sosua
The National Police have yet to produce any results in relation to the fatal shooting of two Canadian citizens in the town of Sosua, in the province of Puerto Plata on the north coast. Neither the Police nor the judiciary has offered any possible causes for the crimes that took the lives of Mike DiBattista, 43, and Jason McGuire, also 43. DiBattista was shot 12 times as he was driving his vehicle. According to the Diario Libre, he was wanted on federal warrants for international drug trafficking and lived in the residential area of Lomas del Sol in Sosua. McGuire was shot once in the head inside his apartment in La Mulata II. Although several people have been interrogated, there have been no arrests.

C

ctrob

They're airbnb type rentals. Everybody and their brother rent their space in sosua, it's slightly saturated market. So if it's not an easy walk to the beach, nightly prices can be that low.

W

william webster

Sounds like its open season on Canadians up
there. RIP.

Sounds druggy to me Cristo.... gangster style one bullet to the head for McGuire
12 bullets for the moving target in the car.

H

Harleysrock

Sounds druggy to me Cristo.... gangster style one bullet to the head for McGuire
12 bullets for the moving target in the car.

Surprise surprise but you are wrong again...Thanks for being so respectful of my murdered friend.

W

william webster

You’re dead flat positive are you???

I have different intel.....he was Cdn , right?

W

william webster

Being your friend absolves him..... ??

Yikes.... we should all be your friend

C

Caonabo

As reported in today's DR1 news.....
No results on two foreigners shot and killed in Sosua
The National Police have yet to produce any results in relation to the fatal shooting of two Canadian citizens in the town of Sosua, in the province of Puerto Plata on the north coast. Neither the Police nor the judiciary has offered any possible causes for the crimes that took the lives of Mike DiBattista, 43, and Jason McGuire, also 43. DiBattista was shot 12 times as he was driving his vehicle. According to the Diario Libre, he was wanted on federal warrants for international drug trafficking and lived in the residential area of Lomas del Sol in Sosua. McGuire was shot once in the head inside his apartment in La Mulata II. Although several people have been interrogated, there have been no arrests.

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualid...ata-AN12684433

Are the two events connected?

M

Matilda

Did you know your "friend" was an alledged international drug dealer?

I think Harleysrock was referring to the latest murder, that of Canadian McGuire who was tied up along with his girlfriend during a home invasion. He freed himself and went after them with a machete and was shot in the head and killed. Nothing about him being an alleged international drug dealer - that was the first Canadian.

Matilda