Canadians scammed in Punta Cana???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I WAS being friendly. This is not a bash Newfies thread but there has been a "have fun with Newfies" tone.

Don't take offense. The constant heat and humidity on this island makes some of us a little funny in the head.

I'm originally from Boston and there are long cultural connections and affinities between New England and the maritimes.

The Sinnotts have a strange and fascinating story and the truth IS elusive.

Welcome to DR1!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I know that Celt was trying to be Friendly. I'm just responding to his post simply asking did he back check before posting as well?
Kool.

As for Newfies Being able to handle their booze... It's no secrete we can. Just seems to me that the comments made about the two being Drunk were a little discrimnating to me and any Newfoundlander
My bad.
Like I said, I believe I was the first to introduce the Newfie aspect.
In one way, it can be construed as a discrimination, on the other hand, most Newfies take pride in their ability to drink anyone on the planet, under the table.

We all have our point of views, and I'm clearly trying to state mine!
As well you should and did.

ohhhh and yes I'm sober!!
It's early yet. The day is young.

cin

Apr 22, 2006
Thanks Rocky!!!!

I'm calm now:squareeye

Just wanted to make a point that not all Newfies like being picked on! I for one:rolleyes:

Anyway, That's it.... had my say and maybe you and Gary can join me for a shot of Screech sometime:devious:

Cindy

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Rocky!!!!

I'm calm now:squareeye

Just wanted to make a point that not all Newfies like being picked on! I for one:rolleyes:

Anyway, That's it.... had my say and maybe you and Gary can join me for a shot of Screech sometime:devious:

Cindy
I think I'll pass on the Screech, but maybe we can do tequila shots.

sunny2

Apr 7, 2006
My girl Cindy doesn't like Tequila.

Rocky I have to say that I was really surprised when I read your comment about them having to be drunk because they were Newfies. It has been my experience on this forum that you were the one who usually cooled the heels of posters going on about other nationalities. I couldn't care less about the other idiotic comments made on this subject by the other members but I am really disappointed in you.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My girl Cindy doesn't like Tequila.

Rocky I have to say that I was really surprised when I read your comment about them having to be drunk because they were Newfies. It has been my experience on this forum that you were the one who usually cooled the heels of posters going on about other nationalities. I couldn't care less about the other idiotic comments made on this subject by the other members but I am really disappointed in you.
Actually, the hotel manager said that they were drunk, and I have a tendency to believe him.
I see holes in their story, as I posted before. Some things make no sense, but could be explained by the manager's account of the events.
You could perceive the Newfie's tremendous ability to consume large amounts of alcohol, as an insult, or a compliment, depending on your perspective.
From my point of view, it is neither, simply an observation.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I think the topic of the thread is Canadians scammed in Punta Cana - whether they were or not. I don't think it's about Newfies screeching or otherwise. :cheeky:

Please don't be so quick to take offense. Most of the expats who live here are well able to tolerate jokes about our nationalities - most of us make them ourselves about our own nationalities. In the scheme of world problems getting upset about a few light hearted, non-malicious comments seems rather small. Now if the Canadian tourists had been murdered, jokes about Newfies would have been out of place because of grieving relatives. But they weren't.

Back to topic. Anyone have any more news about this incident?

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
What happened

.............to the main topic here??? Enough name calling etc. Could we please get back to the posters topic? Thanks, I would like to hear more if anyone knows.

Middlemarie

Apr 17, 2007
sounds bad

wow - what's up with blaming the victims? I totally get that you expats know lots about the DR, but I don't think the victims benefitted from this scam - they flew out at their own expense the next day.
having been to the DR, sadly, I could see how naive travellers could totally be scammed. It doesn't make all Dominicans bad to say that, obviously not.
Give these people a break.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
wow - what's up with blaming the victims? I totally get that you expats know lots about the DR, but I don't think the victims benefitted from this scam - they flew out at their own expense the next day.
having been to the DR, sadly, I could see how naive travellers could totally be scammed. It doesn't make all Dominicans bad to say that, obviously not.
Give these people a break.
I can't speak for others, and I am not blaming the Sinnotts, but I am saying that there are clear flaws in the story they tell, therefore I do not believe their account of the story.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
I agree with Rocky

I don't think anyone is blaming the "victims" but all does not sound right. Besides if it where me, there would not be a day gone by that you would not here me on the news etc. talking about being wronged. Something smells.

dot

Jun 19, 2005
www.beyondthebeach.ca
Only my observation but, if they were going to pull a "scam", wouldn't it make more sense to enjoy the week and pull the scam on their last or 2nd last day to try to get money back for their holiday or sue the hotel or whatever their "angle" is....

They were accused of stealing a cell phone - what good would that do them? What would they do with it? Cell phones are NOT that expensive here and I'm sure they probably have one already...

Who on earth would go all the way to the beautiful DR and leave the next day - out of pocket for a one-way plane ticket? I don't see what they are gaining with this "scam"... or why anyone with any brains would do this... why lie???

BTW, I'm a Newfie and have drank a few younger people under the table BUT, I have walked to my room on my own power and the next morning, gave the younger people some asprian to get them ready for their flight LOL!

I have also NEVER been loud or rude after a few drinks.... have I guys???

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Only my observation but, if they were going to pull a "scam", wouldn't it make more sense to enjoy the week and pull the scam on their last or 2nd last day to try to get money back for their holiday or sue the hotel or whatever their "angle" is....
Nobody thinks they went down there trying to pull a scam.
A lot of us are convinced that their account of the events that took place, is untrue.
There is a BIG difference.

why lie???
To cover up some bad behaviour on their part?

roytott

May 3, 2007
You have to have clean hands to make a valid claim.
I know in my heart of hearts, that when he says the 3 people who scammed him divied up the money in front of him, that he is lying.
Every and any long term expat will tell you that simply cannot be.
So he lied.
Now I don't believe anything he says, because I perceive him as a liar.

This reminds me of the All Bran bar commercial...

lol

cin

Apr 22, 2006
There has to be some kind of Information coming out soon on this situation?
It's wild now that every time you read on a travel forum something is happening or someone is trying to do something? Sad if you ask me:ermm:

I have remove the posts with the name calling so I have edited your post also to take out the quote

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gary short

I'll try this again...most Maritimers I've met are great folk.......just having some fun........as to kickin my ass...be carefull cin..you ain't up to it....

The mod's are busy with many things, one is away on the North Coast and this one has just got the chance to read the posts...lots has been deleted.

Time to grow up and stop the bashing and name calling.

Situation happened and has been bantered about long enough, when someone finds a resolve to this incident please start a new thread.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.