Cangrejo bridge closed due to major structural failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Funny there's no videos of persons grabbing bags of cement and carrying them away.
I was stuck in the line behind this, returning from Puerto Plata to Cabarete. By the time I got to the cement-dusty scene, the truck had been moved but the hold-up was now caused by locals picking up the contents of the split bags in any container they could find, causing further delays. The intact bags were being watched by the police. Probably they would help themselves to those later!

Unfortunately, I couldn't take a video as my phone ran out of charge while sitting in the traffic-jam.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Back in Santiago, Left Sosua yesterday afternoon, got lucky again Caribe Tour bus ride going through Cangrejo Bridge detour was about 15 minutes.
Today shopping ceramics and others supply in Santiago.
It is worth to deal with Santiago City contractor and buy all supply here.

Last night when I arrived in my place here in Santiago I was able to compare the Quality of the closet and cabinets I have made by a Sosua contractor and another local company here, Sosua was a lot more expensive and lower end finished.

JJ

Reactions: Drperson and cavok

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
A recent Sosua news article says they are working on the bridge
El presidente says it will be done in December 2023 :rolleyes:

December not very far away and by the looks of it they have alot to accomplish

Now I don't know much about bridge construction so the experts can chime in as they like but that cement work leaves something to be desired.

• Wow
Reactions: bachata

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Those are caison piles for a bridge abutment. Their rough finish is of no concern as they will be covered by a large mass of concrete.
Abinader will be pretty embarrassed if he shows up for a ribbon cutting. It might be done in April 2024

Reactions: tee

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
With tropical storm Franklin on the way be prepared for long delays around the alternative route if we get heavy rain. If you need to go to Puerto Plata in the next couple of days you might want to go today or wait until the storm has passed. Chances are that we won't get too much rain here but we all know how the bridge on the alternate route can flood very fast.

Reactions: BermudaRum

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
A recent Sosua news article says they are working on the bridge
El presidente says it will be done in December 2023 :rolleyes:

December not very far away and by the looks of it they have alot to accomplish

Now I don't know much about bridge construction so the experts can chime in as they like but that cement work leaves something to be desired.

Good news hope will be completed next time I go back to DR.

JJ

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
taken today from the Sosua side........

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-08-23 at 12.40.00 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-23 at 12.40.00 PM.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 175

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They have 3 1/2 months to complete it before Abinader's promised deadline. Even if they work double shifts they aren't going to make that. Remember concrete must be cured before loading, so things need cure time before stripping and time for attaining full strength.
He should look more towards May 2024 for his photo op

Reactions: jd426

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
They have 3 1/2 months to complete it before Abinader's promised deadline. Even if they work double shifts they aren't going to make that. Remember concrete must be cured before loading, so things need cure time before stripping and time for attaining full strength.
He should look more towards May 2024 for his photo op
You’re assuming the bridge will meet proper construction standards. That may not be the case if it’s being built in a rush. I’m heading back in January. I’ll be happy to see the new bridge in place but driving across it won’t leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling.

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
Lol a bridge completion ceremony by the end of December 2023 has zero chance of happening.
That would mean less than 130 days. :D:eek:
Not happening even with the best construction company working on it day and night.
I would put the chances at less than zero.

It probably took that long just to take the other bridge down.

vermontmark

Aug 23, 2022
Puerto Plata
Took a photo from the Sosua (east) side this morning (Saturday). The cement pilings, which they had built and then buried, are now being uncovered and taken apart! The workmen are using a jackhammer to dismantle the pilings. The photo shows the rubble and exposed rebar towers on some already. Any engineers that can explain what this is about? CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A QUICK TUTORIAL ON HOW TO ADD A PHOTO TO THIS TEXT? THANKS.

Reactions: cavok

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Took a photo from the Sosua (east) side this morning (Saturday). The cement pilings, which they had built and then buried, are now being uncovered and taken apart! The workmen are using a jackhammer to dismantle the pilings. The photo shows the rubble and exposed rebar towers on some already. Any engineers that can explain what this is about? CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A QUICK TUTORIAL ON HOW TO ADD A PHOTO TO THIS TEXT? THANKS.
Not an engineer but it is the DR and anything is possible.

1. Concrete pilings don’t meet the standard so break up and start again.

2. Bridge design changed so different concrete footings required.

3. They changed their minds and are going with a metal bridge and abutments at each end similar to the original bridge. Maybe faster for construction purposes to meet the President‘s promised inauguration date in December. Not as load bearing and long lasting as a concrete structure but that’s not a concern in the DR. Get it done, keep the voters happy, and move on to other political fires.

The Cangrejo bridge has been a circus since it first failed due to too much overloaded truck traffic crossing it for years. The circus continues.

Reactions: drstock
Status
Not open for further replies.