Cangrejo bridge closed due to major structural failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The Romans used concrete that lasted 2 thousand years... their secret was volcanic ash and of course hard work and talented builders... things in short supply here

DR has mountains of coal ash from Punta Catalina, they should utilize it the same way!

IMG_3855.jpeg

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
DR has mountains of coal ash from Punta Catalina, they should utilize it the same way!

View attachment 8346
It's called Fly Ash and it comes in Type C and Type F.
It 'can' increase strength by reducing water content but it can slow drying times because it is used in lieu of some cement and aggregate and also extend curing time so it isn't ideal for colder regions because it may not reach final design strength.
Plenty to look at online if you want to Google "Fly Ash in Concrete" to read it's effects.

Reactions: JD Jones and jd426

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
No time for curing.
President has a ribbon cutting planned for December.

:rolleyes:

Still think that bridge will be done by then

Yeah me neither.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
No comments on the new bridge in La Vega? I'm a little surprised.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Anybody have some updated pictures of the progress?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Why?
That bridge has been in construction since before Covid....... so nothing really to comment on.....
You missed my point entirely. We were discussing different types of bridge construction.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Its in the plan...#BK1492-A1.......never finish the bridge, as that will limit the people going to Sosua, and will help clean up that town with the dusty garbage littered streets and limit the number of spandex Queens.........

• Wow
Reactions: bachata
Oct 19, 2015
canada
Insightful and honest post, and I totally agree. Gregorio Luperon airport airstrip has been expanded to accommodate bigger aircraft loaded with more tourists and Playa Dorada is buzzing with new condo and resort construction activity. The fall and winter tourist seasons are not that far away. Pundits on this forum are predicting a new bridge won’t be in place for the upcoming tourist season or another year at least. The out of sight and out of mind political approach should make for an interesting tourist season this winter on the North coast.
The President said i red on line be ready in December ~ What Year ?

• Haha
Reactions: bachata
Oct 19, 2015
canada
That the collapsed Cangrejo bridge spanning the Rio Camú is directly linked to tourism is clear.
As well as the fact that the bridge supports communities along the North Coast.

It is time for Abinader and his government to wake up.
They are not operating unseen in obscurity.
In fact Abinader is watched and judged by the international community.
In the tourism regard predominantly by the USA, EU and CAN.

Perviously I have seen Abinader as the best president in recent times, a man for his time.
Yet he has reverted to incompetence seen by pervious administrations.

Tourism is a source of major renewable income for the DR.
There are billions of USD to be made from affluent tourists and investors.
Europeans, Canadians and Americans have the high end disposable income to invest and spend.
Tourism operators and airlines closely watch sustainability and income through volume.
A large part of the AI industry in Punta Cana is Spanish.

On the North Coast many EU, CAN and US citizens previously invested in real estate and long stay tourism.
Spending hundreds of millions.
The North Coast has a lot to offer.
Tourism that invests money on long stays, start up businesses and retirement.

The high end wants infrastructure and security, value for money.

The Montellano bridge over the Rio Camú was efficiently re-build.
How is it possible that the bridge on the only highway is nonexistent after more than a year?
SEE > grundie.com/bridge

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The President said i red on line be ready in December ~ What Year ?

Every time I look at the construction, I'm more convinced it will be the same as the one in La Vega. All the work is in building the base on each side, and then drop the preconstructed beams.
It won't be completely finished, but it will be very close.

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Every time I look at the construction, I'm more convinced it will be the same as the one in La Vega. All the work is in building the base on each side, and then drop the preconstructed beams.
It won't be completely finished, but it will be very close.
Define close - are you talking La Vega or Cangrejo. My bet is April at the earliest until the ribbon cutting

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Define close - are you talking La Vega or Cangrejo. My bet is April at the earliest until the ribbon cutting
The La Vega bridge is built, and is going through the finishing touches that are expected to take another month.

I still think Cangrejo will be going through the finishing touches in December.

Did you watch the video in post 684? No comment about the span?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The La Vega bridge is built, and is going through the finishing touches that are expected to take another month.

I still think Cangrejo will be going through the finishing touches in December.

Did you watch the video in post 684? No comment about the span?
Finishing touches in Cangrejo. Would a finishing touch be actually having beams in place to span the river?

I've been an engineer on longer bridges. Mine were built by foreign contractors from Japan, Korea and Turkey. They went faster than Cangrejo, but I don't expect DR to match their speed.

I will stand by my earlier prediction. There won't be traffic on that bridge before April 2024.

Reactions: Auryn and JD Jones
Status
Not open for further replies.