Cangrejo bridge closed due to major structural failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico bill

On Vacation
May 6, 2016
The prestressed beams seem to be the go-to solution for many of the new bridges they're building. They probably have a much longer life and no rust issues to worry about.
I was an engineer on several large prestressed (post-tensioned) girder and box girder bridges in Saudi Arabia. They require an level of expertise not likely available on the North Coast, but it could be done.

But I drove the detour this AM and it added about 35 minutes extra to Montellano. I left at 7:10 and arrived an 7:52 usually it's a 10 minute trip. Later in the day I am sure it will double the delay.
The road is bad, dusty, very rough and narrow and some jamoke in a cement block truck had broken down in a narrow section, fortunately not the direction I was headed but still was almost impassable. When you pass a beer or dump truck there is no room whatsoever. Don't see how two of them can pass is some areas.
While they are improving the unpaved areas of this route and adding some rows of 36" RCP for the creek crossing on the route, everything will be a cluster-f**k if it rains, even slightly. And they can not widen where there are houses each side

So I dropped my friends car off and took a taxi back walking across the bridge. They are even controlling walking, queuing for police to send groups.
That bridge needs maintenance for sure but it is not in a state of tear down
The bridge could be made workable in a few weeks with a skilled construction team and competent engineers.

The taxi driver told me he was hearing it would be repaired and back up in a couple months.
Avoid the detour, unless you like frustration and your car is a beater with good ground clearance.

The economic impact of this on the buses, tourism, shoppers going to Puerto Plata, the hospitals and freight, tours from Sosua and food deliveries are going to really be impacted. Sosua and Cabarete, as well as Montellano will feel it. Maybe millions lost per week. The good news - likely fewer buses of drunks coming to trash Sosua Beach on Saturdays and Sundays.

It would be a shame if they let this detour become anymore than a very short-term detour.

Forget going to Jumbo to go food shopping for a while. Forget taking your car to your mechanic in Puerto Plata. Forget a routine doctor's visit. Forget trying to get to Teleferico or a restaurant on the Malecon. Forget a Brugal tour

Chala

Aug 25, 2018
I heard they are feverishly working on the alternate route from Sosúa to Puerto Plata, any word? Any and all updates for today will be greatly appreciated!

chico bill

On Vacation
May 6, 2016
I heard they are feverishly working on the alternate route from Sosúa to Puerto Plata, any word? Any and all updates for today will be greatly appreciated!
They are working, not feverishly and it is a rough narrow way around that will not serve for more than light traffic. Probably 10 % of prior volume

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
So I dropped my friends car off and took a taxi back walking across the bridge. They are even controlling walking, queuing for police to send groups.
I have to go to Pto. Plata soon. It's beginning to look like the public taxis or guaguas would be the quickest option(?). I guess the question is - are the drop-off points right at either end of the bridge and how long do you have to wait on the other side after walking across? Going from Sosua to Pto. Plata, I've seen very long lines of traffic at the detour point which is right before the bridge. It would take a publico forever to get there.

chico bill

On Vacation
May 6, 2016
I have to go to Pto. Plata soon. It's beginning to look like the public taxis or guaguas would be the quickest option(?). I guess the question is - are the drop-off points right at either end of the bridge and how long do you have to wait on the other side after walking across? Going from Sosua to Pto. Plata, I've seen very long lines of traffic at the detour point which is right before the bridge. It would take a publico forever to get there.
They are about 75 yards. Not that far unless you have bags. Saw several people who must have flown in trying to hump suitcases across and doesn't look fun.
This is not good for people in Puerto Plata trying to fly in or out

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They are about 75 yards. Not that far unless you have bags. Saw several people who must have flown in trying to hump suitcases across and doesn't look fun.
Did you see any big queues of people on either side of the bridge waiting for a publico? Would you say publicos would be faster than driving?

chico bill

On Vacation
May 6, 2016
Did you see any big queues of people on either side of the bridge waiting for a publico? Would you say publicos would be faster than driving?
The line at 8 AM was about 40 people waiting.
I expect it to be minimal delay. But think ahead it it's raining!
One Dominican tried to walk around and bypass waiting but an armed soldier made him return to the back of the line. Good for that soldier

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The line at 8 AM was about 40 people waiting.
I expect it to be minimal delay. But think ahead it it's raining!
One Dominican tried to walk around and bypass waiting but an armed soldier made him return to the back of the line. Good for that soldier
There's always at least one, isn't there, who thinks lines don't apply to them? It sounds like you could be there quite a while waiting your turn in line for a publico.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
May have to do that to get our golf fix :ROFLMAO:

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Not straight flys from Sosua to Puerto Plata. LOL
I am glad my passport didn't renew on time we was planning to be in Sosua by the end of April.
JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
You think the Lifestyles Limousine will be taking the new detour?
Nope, lifestyle has two vehicles one on the West side and the other one on the East side both merge at the broken bridge and passenger walk from one side to the other in order to do the connection.

Sounds like airlines passengers doing transfers.
Only in the DR!

JJ

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
What a mess. Imagine the condition that road will be in just one week from now with all that traffic. I didn't see one heavy truck in that video. To get to Sosua or Cabarete they'll have to go to Santiago then Sabaneta.

It will take a minimum of two hours to get from Sosua to Puerto Plata on Tuesday. Pray you don't have a serious medical emergency any time soon.

Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
They are working to wide the BADEN to speed up the traffic as it's a one single lane now, but the engineer said the new lane won't have pipes so if it starts raining the water will overflow the driving surface.

That's what the excavator is doing there putting more rocks to support the new fill-up materials.

Good luck with that!

JJ

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They are working to wide the BADEN to speed up the traffic as it's a one single lane now, but the engineer said the new lane won't have pipes so if it starts raining the water will overflow the driving surface.

That's what the excavator is doing there putting more rocks to support the new fill-up materials.

Good luck with that!

JJ
What's a "BADEN"? That whole stretch in the video was one lane. Huge bottleneck until it's widened and how much more of that route is only one lane?

Reactions: bachata

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Alternative route from Sosua to Monte llano.

JJ
This video is "old", it's from Wednesday, so before or right when they started with the "process", so at that point nothing had been done with that route. The local authorities announced today that the in a couple of days the alternate route would be better and within the coming 8-10 days they will start opening the bridge for light traffic.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
What's a "BADEN"? That whole stretch in the video was one lane. Huge bottleneck until it's widened and how much more of that route is only one lane?
Baden is a bridge made of fill-up material which has one or several pipes allowing The water flow under the pavement.

JJ

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This video is "old", it's from Wednesday, so before or right when they started with the "process", so at that point nothing had been done with that route. The local authorities announced today that the in a couple of days the alternate route would be better and within the coming 8-10 days they will start opening the bridge for light traffic.
If the alternate route has any unpaved sections, they will be wash boarded and riddled with potholes in no time. Hopefully, the bridge when open will be open for two lanes of traffic, not just one, or it will be a huge bottleneck.

chico bill

On Vacation
May 6, 2016
Everyone should drive the bi-pass.
Coming from Sosua you turn left at the hardware store then the next right.
The first part is between houses each side and cannot be widened. There is room for two small cars to pass but not two dump trucks and yes trucks are using it as well as some hauling equipment.
The dirt section is being widened and at the creek crossing they have already installed pipes and will need to fill on top of them.
But it will always be narrow and rough and when it rains it will become a nightmare.
It is not a real useable alternative and traffic will soon decide not to destroy their vehicles taking it.
I also imagine Montellano will tire of all the unwanted freight going through their streets and in front of schools

Reactions: cavok and bachata
Status
Not open for further replies.