Cangrejo bridge closed due to major structural failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Governor of POP Province:
(English then Spanish original)
NOTICE | The Civil Governor of Puerto Plata announced that the Ministry of Public Works will enable lightweight vehicles to cross the bridge in Cangrejo, Puerto Plata within approximately 8 to 10 days.
Meanwhile, the alternative route which is already being worked on will be made ready in advance of this for heavy vehicles to pass.
The representative of the Executive Powers, Claritza Rochette, stated that by order of the President, Luis Abinader, and in collaboration with Minister Deligne Ascención funds have been assigned to work on the design and construction of a new structure.
Rochette pointed out that the alternative route is now over 90 % complete, allowing vehicle traffic to return to normal.
Communication and Press Office of the Governor of Puerto Plata

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nope, lifestyle has two vehicles one on the West side and the other one on the East side both merge at the broken bridge and passenger walk from one side to the other in order to do the connection.

Sounds like airlines passengers doing transfers.
Only in the DR!

JJ
They will just use the helicopters, no? :love:

Will two way light traffic be permitted over the old bridge in about 10 days?

Reactions: bachata

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Everyone should drive the bi-pass.
Coming from Sosua you turn left at the hardware store then the next right.
The first part is between houses each side and cannot be widened. There is room for two small cars to pass but not two dump trucks and yes trucks are using it as well as some hauling equipment.
The dirt section is being widened and at the creek crossing they have already installed pipes and will need to fill on top of them.
But it will always be narrow and rough and when it rains it will become a nightmare.
It is not a real useable alternative and traffic will soon decide not to destroy their vehicles taking it.
I also imagine Montellano will tire of all the unwanted freight going through their streets and in front of schools
How long did it take you to get to Pto. P?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It adds about 40 minutes if you go early - If things backup it will be more. Trust me when i say it is not worth it.
I am one and done with that route.
At that hour and today being a holiday, there probably was relatively little traffic. Tomorrow will be a totally different story.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I just went there and back, it's not too bad. It took me less than 20 minutes on that road of that about 10 minutes waiting standing still. The normal road over the bridge takes around 5 minutes. The road is not bad at all, and I don't have a Jeepeta, I have a "normal" car. There is one part where it's a bit difficult to pass 2 vehicles, but they just let you pass on one side at a time. So I guess the big issue is when there's a lot of traffic and people don't respect the lane they should be in, which creates a problem, and when it rains. If it starts to rain on that dirt road, unless you have a 4x4, you won't be able to go on certain parts. And on the way back it only took 10 minutes. So not at all as bad as I thought.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
They will just use the helicopters, no? :love:

Will two way light traffic be permitted over the old bridge in about 10 days?
Most tourists arrives at STI any way, they send the shuttle vehicles to STI everyday.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I would love to do that trail on my former enduro motorcycle...LOL

JJ

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Most tourists arrives at STI any way, they send the shuttle vehicles to STI everyday.

JJ
So no good way to get them to the Cabarete location until they allow the limo's on the old bridge. The Moca road is reported as in fairly bad condition so they either take the detour or the bridge if and when allowed.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
So no good way to get them to the Cabarete location until they allow the limo's on the old bridge. The Moca road is reported as in fairly bad condition so they either take the detour or the bridge if and when allowed.
That Bridge will be back in service soon, the president is getting updates of the progress of the repairs.
Abinader is a Sosua Lover same some of his cousins who owns properties over there.

JJ

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I just went there and back, it's not too bad. It took me less than 20 minutes on that road of that about 10 minutes waiting standing still. The normal road over the bridge takes around 5 minutes. The road is not bad at all, and I don't have a Jeepeta, I have a "normal" car. There is one part where it's a bit difficult to pass 2 vehicles, but they just let you pass on one side at a time. So I guess the big issue is when there's a lot of traffic and people don't respect the lane they should be in, which creates a problem, and when it rains. If it starts to rain on that dirt road, unless you have a 4x4, you won't be able to go on certain parts. And on the way back it only took 10 minutes. So not at all as bad as I thought.
Did you drag bottom on your car?
And you hit on the real problem - if people respect single file and allow one side advancing while the other waits.
Dominicans, for the most part will do it, but 30% are just too important so they will pull out and try the old get ahead and squeeze in.
In this case I recommend them being arrested and their vehicle impounded and a 20,000 fine because of the backup such a stunt creates.
The biggest issue, besides when it does rain, is the over-sized trucks hauling beer, dirt or equipment trailers.
Try passing by one of them in your 50,000 shiny SUV (fold in your mirrors)

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Walked over the bridge this morning. The seperate column was jacked back together by welding bent plates on either side and clamped together after come-a-longs were used from the truss superstructure to lift it. It

Reactions: Olly

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
And you hit on the real problem - if people respect single file and allow one side advancing while the other waits.
Dominicans, for the most part will do it, but 30% are just too important so they will pull out and try the old get ahead and squeeze in.
And after the first moron does this, you'll have a dozen or more that will follow. Then you have a real mess.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Did you drag bottom on your car?
In this case I recommend them being arrested and their vehicle impounded and a 20,000 fine because of the backup such a stunt creates.
The biggest issue, besides when it does rain, is the over-sized trucks hauling beer, dirt or equipment trailers.
Try passing by one of them in your 50,000 shiny SUV (fold in your mirrors)
Well, it seems that the positive experience was only for yesterday. I went on that road yesterday just to see how it was because our kids go to school on the other side of the bridge. So my wife went there early this morning (before 7 am) and it was fine, it only took maybe 10 minutes longer than if this stupid issue wouldn't have happened. But now my wife went to pick them up, and she is now stuck in traffic, and we'll see how long time it will take before she can get to their school and back.
And yes I totally agree, that's such a stupid behavior, for some reason they think that just because cutting in line when there's a stop in traffic they will advance much quicker, and instead, they are just causing a jam and inconvenience for everybody else. I've always wondered why they never (or at least almost never) try to cut in line in the supermarkets? That's basically the same behavior, thinking that their time is so much more important than others.

Reactions: drstock

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Well, it seems that the positive experience was only for yesterday. I went on that road yesterday just to see how it was because our kids go to school on the other side of the bridge. So my wife went there early this morning (before 7 am) and it was fine, it only took maybe 10 minutes longer than if this stupid issue wouldn't have happened. But now my wife went to pick them up, and she is now stuck in traffic, and we'll see how long time it will take before she can get to their school and back.
And yes I totally agree, that's such a stupid behavior, for some reason they think that just because cutting in line when there's a stop in traffic they will advance much quicker, and instead, they are just causing a jam and inconvenience for everybody else. I've always wondered why they never (or at least almost never) try to cut in line in the supermarkets? That's basically the same behavior, thinking that their time is so much more important than others.
They used to (try to) cut in line in Playero. But the cashiers must have been instructed to send them back to the end of the line (I assume after numerous complaints to the managers there. I know we certainly did). Don't see it happening now.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Okay, seriously, scrap what I wrote earlier. DON'T GO THERE! The conditions of the road are fine, it's just painstakingly slow. It literally took my wife 2.5 hours to go from where the diversion starts until reaching Montellano, and now she's on her way back from there.

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.