Cangrejo bridge closed due to major structural failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
But if a vehicle launces itself over a speed bum to fast and loses control even slightly and impacts the superstructure it's even worse tan going too fast
Agreed. That's why I suggested substantial and well marked. Maybe more than one : like in front of the gasoline station near the airport.
No one ( including big over-loaded trucks ) flies thru there

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I hope the syndicate issues their plan and timeframe soon as this affects a lot of people and plans for commerce and safety

Reactions: ctrob

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
As you have experience of steel works and mine is in aircraft structure, why would you weld the fillet piece instead of bolt/rivet assembly? Welds have the possibility of failure to incorrect technique, weld penetration and corrosion.

Just asking your opinion and comparing my industry to yours. Airplanes bend and flex just like bridges. No welded joints on airplane structures.

As long as the existing steel was still good, a skilled welder can make that joint stronger then the column itself. But the steel may be in bad shape due to twisting and stress, plus corrosion if it wasn't kept protected. And the entire bridge may be not worth fixing anyways.

Always been fascinated by aircraft construction. More so now that my daughter flys.

Reactions: CristoRey and beeza

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
What's the news today?
Has anyone heard what they are actually going to do short term?
Are trucks able to get through on the back road?
Does that road take long to get through?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Google Maps shows one hour from Cabarete to Puerto Plata. That's only about 15 minutes more than usual. It looks like cars are getting through(?). No detour shown.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Google Maps shows one hour from Cabarete to Puerto Plata. That's only about 15 minutes more than usual. It looks like cars are getting through(?). No detour shown.
I would not consider Google Maps very dependable in this situation. For example between my home and Puerto Plata, it shows no difference at all, and that's just not true. The bridge is closed, and according to "word on the street" it will be closed for at least 10 days.
And just take a look at the video on this page: https://detrasdelrumor.com.do/2022/...6drWRR0OBFRXaECZl_ql7pSsVEFNpRCp5om9oDVwdnMr4 that supposedly was recorded this morning, so you can draw your own conclusion about the traffic situation. My wife's boss lives in Puerto Plata and has his store in Sosúa, he took the detour yesterday and it took him almost 2 hours to get from POP to Sosúa, and from my understanding, the traffic situation is even worse today.

Reactions: chico bill

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I would not consider Google Maps very dependable in this situation. For example between my home and Puerto Plata, it shows no difference at all, and that's just not true. The bridge is closed, and according to "word on the street" it will be closed for at least 10 days.
And just take a look at the video on this page: https://detrasdelrumor.com.do/2022/...6drWRR0OBFRXaECZl_ql7pSsVEFNpRCp5om9oDVwdnMr4 that supposedly was recorded this morning, so you can draw your own conclusion about the traffic situation. My wife's boss lives in Puerto Plata and has his store in Sosúa, he took the detour yesterday and it took him almost 2 hours to get from POP to Sosúa, and from my understanding, the traffic situation is even worse today.
I find what Google maps shows is hard to believe, but in my experience of using it, traffic delays are almost immediately shown and an alternate route and ETA offered. And it has sent me on some really strange detours through warehouse districts, side streets, and delivery alleys behind shopping plazas.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
That's as trustworthy as gas station sushi

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's as trustworthy as gas station sushi
It might not be right now for whatever reason, but I use it a lot and it's always been accurate - and I'm not talking about just total travel times. I've frequently received live alerts to traffic jams and accidents and alternate routes displayed. When it comes to showing traffic congestion, it is exactly to the point or cross street shown on the map.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
You mean wait as in a year or so while the other bridge is rebuilt? Perhaps it can be repaired, but only time will tell.

We go to Puerto Plata every couple of weeks. It will be inconvenient.

3 months to repair would be remarkable.
I’m amazed the bridge lasted as long as it did. It should be replaced and widened. I’ve seen overloaded tandem dump trucks regularly flying across that bridge. Has anyone ever seen the police set up random weigh scale check sites on the roads? There is one particular dump truck that stands out. No front fenders, and belching more black smoke than an old locomotive steam engine. Actually had the misfortune to meet him on a tight turn heading down to Luperon one day. He hogged most of the road and I managed to squeeze by with a few inches to spare in the subcompact I was driving. I saw it many times in the Costambar-Maimon area when they were building the cruise ship port.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I’m amazed the bridge lasted as long as it did. It should be replaced and widened. I’ve seen overloaded tandem dump trucks regularly flying across that bridge. Has anyone ever seen the police set up random weigh scale check sites on the roads? There is one particular dump truck that stands out. No front fenders, and belching more black smoke than an old locomotive steam engine. Actually had the misfortune to meet him on a tight turn heading down to Luperon one day. He hogged most of the road and I managed to squeeze by with a few inches to spare in the subcompact I was driving. I saw it many times in the Costambar-Maimon area when they were building the cruise ship port.
That could be one of hundreds. Add to that bent real axles wobbling and hoses broken off the air brakes

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
You can't import a car more than 5 years old, but junk heaps w/o lights, fenders, and hoods, are ok to be on the roads.
Mind boggling isn’t it. If only they held the locals to the same standards. I’ve often thought about having a vintage MBG or TR-6 for cruising the quieter campo roads. The Customs process to import these is lengthy and expensive. Between citizenship and car importation, the DR government doesn’t make it easy or cheap for snowbirds and expats.

Attachments

• CA954BB0-7786-4283-AE2D-880C52BF4518.jpeg
    CA954BB0-7786-4283-AE2D-880C52BF4518.jpeg
    959 KB · Views: 135

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
That could be one of hundreds. Add to that bent real axles wobbling and hoses broken off the air brakes
This particular truck is like something out of a Stephen King novel. I learned to give him a wide berth on the main roads.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Mind boggling isn’t it. If only they held the locals to the same standards. I’ve often thought about having a vintage MBG or TR-6 for cruising the quieter campo roads. The Customs process to import these is lengthy and expensive. Between citizenship and car importation, the DR government doesn’t make it easy or cheap for snowbirds and expats.
It is amazing. While nice cars get pulled over at redadas for no apparent reason, these junks heaps wiz right on through.

Status
Not open for further replies.